SASS Wire Forum

Loading table question

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

I searched the handbooks, but couldn't find an answer. Can a shooter correct a cocked rifle at the loading table after a round has been put in the magazine tube? There is no round in the chamber, just the tube. I did find this . "De-cocking may not be done to avoid a penalty if cocked at the wrong time, position or

location once a round has gone down range. "

Of course. When you close the action to load the gun the hammer will always be cocked. Leaving the loading table with the hammer not all the way down on an empty chamber is when the problems begin.

Hello Cockroach, glad to see you are well!

To the OP, this happens all the time with the Taurus pump rifles which need to be racked open to load the magazine tube. It was quite an education for a lot of folks when I used this rifle starting out. Took a lot of convincing to assure people that the rifle was HDEC. Especially when the first round flew out of the rifle due to a malfunction...during the initial racking...

Yes. You just cannot leave the loading table unless the hammer on the rifle is fully down, per the rifle design.

+1

As long as you're at the loading table, you can do just that.

When you have left the loading table it's now a penalty.

Frenchy

9. Loading/Unloading Table Officers

A) Loading Table Officers are responsible to visually check to ensure all firearms are loaded with only the correct number of rounds required in a course of fire. They count, along with the shooter, rounds being loaded into rifles and revolvers.

B ) They check to make sure no round is ever under the firing pin of any firearm and that all loaded firearm hammers are fully down on empty chambers.

While at the Loading Table, shooters must be allowed to make corrections as necessary to be sure no round is under the firing pin and hammers are fully down on empty chambers without the assessment of a penalty.

Discharging a round at the loading table is a Match Disqualification. Leaving the Loading Table with a hammer not fully down on an empty chamber or with a round under the firing pin of any firearm is a Stage Disqualification

RO1 p.9

Here is a question...and not trying to split hairs.....just curious. At what point is the penalty earned? Picking up guns at loading table, a step away from the loading table, or putting gun down at stage?

Here is a question...and not trying to split hairs.....just curious. At what point is the penalty earned? Picking up guns at loading table, a step away from the loading table, or putting gun down at stage?

Just curious...wasn't this covered in the RO classes you took? ;)

Leaving the Loading Table with a hammer not fully down on an empty chamber or with a round under the firing pin of any firearm is a Stage Disqualification

• Changing location with a live round under a cocked hammer or a gun with the hammer down on a live round. Changing location with a long gun with action closed and hammer cocked.

RO1 "Penalty Overview" SDQs p.25

Yes, it was covered PWB, but I wanted to be sure, have heard the arguement that penalties aren't earned until hand off gun or soemthing to that effect. Guess I should have "RTM"!

Yes, it was covered PWB, but I wanted to be sure, have heard the arguement that penalties aren't earned until hand off gun or soemthing to that effect. Guess I should have "RTM"!

I was gonna recommend that, seein' that you have the RO courses listed under your profile...but figgered you'd likely heard info (from misinformed persons) that was contrary to the written rule.

In those cases, I'd advise always going by the rule, rather than "someone's" opinion (usually a shooter who is trying to wiggle out of a penalty).

^_^

As already pointed out by Carolina Gunslinger, the loading table officers are always telling me to close the action before

loading my AWA Lightning rifle. I then have to give them a short course on how to load a Lightning rifle and then rack the

slide forward showing them that the hammer is falling on an empty chamber. I've even had a couple of loading table people get quite huffy about the way I'm loading my gun and tell me that they were instructed to make sure the actions were closed and the hammer was down before anyone started to load their rifle. Fortunately most people are willing to learn something new about a gun they are not familiar with.

Many times, there may be more folks loading that the LTO can handle.....then again it is the shooter's PERSONAL RESPONSIBLITY to insure that he/she is following the rules. Too many times I hear "I was talking with XXXX and got distracted". This may be a game, but it's a game with real guns and real bullets......distractions can have serious consequences.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

(rant off)

As already pointed out by Carolina Gunslinger, the loading table officers are always telling me to close the action beforeloading my AWA Lightning rifle. I then have to give them a short course on how to load a Lightning rifle and then rack theslide forward showing them that the hammer is falling on an empty chamber. I've even had a couple of loading table people get quite huffy about the way I'm loading my gun and tell me that they were instructed to make sure the actions were closed and the hammer was down before anyone started to load their rifle. Fortunately most people are willing to learn something new about a gun they are not familiar with.

On a number of occasions I've had folks question me at the loading table about a round in the chamber when I closed the action on my Lightning. I've had to unload it a couple of times and reload it so that they could see the loading sequence and be assured that the chamber was empty.

I was gonna recommend that, seein' that you have the RO courses listed under your profile...but figgered you'd likely heard info (from misinformed persons) that was contrary to the written rule.

In those cases, I'd advise always going by the rule, rather than "someone's" opinion (usually a shooter who is trying to wiggle out of a penalty).

^_^

Come on now PWB, you dont think anybody would ever try to "wiggle" out of a penalty!

Archived