SASS Wire Forum

Anyone seen "The Homesman"?

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I saw the previews and kept waiting for the opening. It only played in a few theaters and closed very quickly. I liked it but it got very poor reviews and was a mega flop. The ending was very different and unexpected.

I love Tommy Lee Jones as a cowboy, but this was one strange movie. I don't feel cheated only spending $1.50 (and tax) to "Red Box" it, but I'm glad I didn't spring for tickets to see it at the theater.

I saw it. Strange ending but somewhat in tune with the plot. The beginning,why the women went crazy,

was rather disturbing but realistic for the time. Good job by TLJ. I also liked "The Missing".

I saw it. Strange ending but somewhat in tune with the plot. The beginning,why the women went crazy,

was rather disturbing but realistic for the time. Good job by TLJ. I also liked "The Missing".

I liked the missing much better. Much more interesting character for him

Pards, I may be the odd man out here but I think this movie is a masterpiece. It is not your conventional Western by any means but a very pleasant surprise. Light on the gunplay and action but still very well done both in acting and story. Humorous where it needs to be. It comes from the book by Glendon Swarthout who brought us "The Shootist" (my personal favorite JW movie). "The Homesman" has been called by some liberal schmuck a "feminist Western" and I don't quite know how to respond to that, but whatever it may be it is pretty darn entertaining. Me and the missus not only watched it twice in two consecutive snowbound days, I bought the Kindle book and read it as well. As usual the book sheds more light on the subject but I endorse both wholeheartedly. Give 'em a try.

Archived