SASS Wire Forum

.357 bullets in Frontiersman

Chili Pepper Pete 11917

If you are worried that the caliber is too small to be called .36 why not go to 9mm Makarov .365 dia or .40 S&W which is .401 dia.

About 30 some years ago I started modifying a 1858 for target work by sleeving the cylinder for .38 HBWC but lost interest in black powder target pistols.

If I were doing it I would counter bore the cylinders so it would be easier to start the bullets straightI

I just converted an 1851 Navy to .32 S&W long and now want to convert one to .22 LR.

It is not about needing it is about wanting. If you want to and have to knowledge and tools and it is legal DO IT!

Life is too short not to get some satisfaction by taking the path less traveled!

Pete:

If the hard-cast bullets prove too difficult to load with the loading lever, you can always use a hi-quality cylinder loader, so I think that is a no-worry issue.

I also agree with Charlie's idea of counter boring the cylinder holes for easy loading.

It sounds like a neat project.

--Dawg

While it does sound like a really neat project (something I'd get a hair brained scheme for), the rule(s) have to be read "as written" and not how we'd like them to read. The rule states must be 36 caliber or larger. A 357 is 35 caliber. Not legal for a percussion hand gun. Caliber dimensions are not "rounded up" nor down. They are what they are.

Coffinmaker

Blacky Cole, I have no idea what you are talking about. Its all about changing the caliber of the entire gun. The chambers and barrel will match to proper diameter. What are you concerned in regards to safety. Two people have mentioned safety but neither has stated what their concerns are, just that they were concerned. Well what exactly are you concerned about? FMTT :blink:

I was thinking 38s because I thought it might be easier then 36 cal, Take off 38 barrels are pretty cheap but I can get a liner for either size. The cylinder sleeves are going to have to be custom turned regardless of what caliber I choose.

Charlie, I hope you and the rest of the Ohio boys are weathering the winter ok, that's a idea about 9mm bullets but if I go that route I might as well just cast .375 RBs out of wheel weights. Have to think about it some more.

I agree with you and Dawg that I have have to play with the cylinder opening to get it to work right.

You know me Dawg, I hate the thought of a stock ROA, Aint Natural

Thank you all for your replies I think I have the answer I needed.

Best regards,

Chili

Blacky Cole, I have no idea what you are talking about. Its all about changing the caliber of the entire gun. The chambers and barrel will match to proper diameter. What are you concerned in regards to safety. Two people have mentioned safety but neither has stated what their concerns are, just that they were concerned. Well what exactly are you concerned about? FMTT :blink:

I was thinking 38s because I thought it might be easier then 36 cal, Take off 38 barrels are pretty cheap but I can get a liner for either size. The cylinder sleeves are going to have to be custom turned regardless of what caliber I choose.

Charlie, I hope you and the rest of the Ohio boys are weathering the winter ok, that's a idea about 9mm bullets but if I go that route I might as well just cast .375 RBs out of wheel weights. Have to think about it some more.

I agree with you and Dawg that I have have to play with the cylinder opening to get it to work right.

You know me Dawg, I hate the thought of a stock ROA, Aint Natural

Thank you all for your replies I think I have the answer I needed.

I hope you understand that the answer is NOT LEGAL in regard to percussion revolvers (in any category).

Best regards,

Chili

You could take soft lead .357 bullets and devise a method to squeeze 'em lengthwise in a consistent manner to

upset 'em to .376 diameter or thereabouts...then just load 'em and shoot.

I needed something that would shoot in a .44 Cap & Ball

revolver.that needed .451 balls. Didn't havaae any .451's. but I had a batch of .440 round balls on hand.

I found that I could put the .440 balls in my drill press machine vise, and squeeze them about a half turn on the

vice jaw screw, and that squished them so they loaded and shot just fine in the .44 revolver.

Just had to load them carefully with the "flat spot" "up".

It's all good, If I do the project it will be a true .36 Cal Navy, .369 bore with .375 groove and shoot .380 round balls. Easy Peasy

That's a cool idea Brasspounder, do what ever it takes.

Charlie, that .32 project sound very cool, I'd like to see it sometime.

Archived