SASS Wire Forum

SASS Native Americans

Aunt Jen

Yes there are.

Runs With Yellow Boy shoots up at Norco and Cajon. There is a couple from New Zealand, I believe that attend EOT every year and they are dressed as native Americans the entire time.

Check capt baylors website he use to have a photo under the dress section of the sass for dummies article. I might not have the exact title but you will know the article win you see it.

Howdy Jen...Yes I dress as an 'Indian.. but definitely not period correct..I see myself as a TV' Commanchero, wear a bit of this & a bit of that, excuse the expression but basically as a half cast..no disrespect intended.

Also use a '73 Renegade & wear a bandoleer to add a bit more.

A couple of beautiful people also from downunder dress fantastically as Indian & have been to the U.S.A. many times...Little River Scout & Odd Shoe Kate. Kate passed away near on 12 months ago & is missed by all that knew her.. the Indian costumes that Kate made were eye catching.

I remember a couple at '011 EOT from Polland ..their Indian costumes were a sight to be seen.

It probably does take a 'different type of person to dress the way that some of us do..for me I enjoy & love it..& with the tattoos & Mohawk hairstyle it came natural.

Further no time for hats when shooting & like the freedom of no collar or sleeves.

Actually in Tombstone at the moment for this w'ends shoots then heading to WR.

Howdy.

PIX pards, plueeze give us pix....its 11 degree be low zero outside.

AND I NEEDS SOMTING TO TAKE WHATS LEFT OF MY MIND OFF arctick cowuld.

Best

Very Chili Ron

yes I gots two kinds chili in da fridge.....its colder outside than in the freezer

the freezer, not just th dang fridge.

Lit'l Red is dressed mostly like the profile picture to the left. Apache "boots" (which were usually leggings over moccasins), reservation pants, breech cloth, and cheap shirt.

Tacks in the gun stocks. Single feather (with fuzz) decoration on rifle and shotgun. Wide brimmed hat with hand braided rawhide band and single feather.

Mills belt with US brass buckle. Home made holsters. In winter, the cheap shirt is fringed deerskin with yarn and bead decoration.

There were lots of half-breeds (oops, is it pc to say that) back then who added spice to the mix.

Howdy:

Dead Man Walking - Indian Cavalry Scout at LItchfield club - Pretty close to a Indian type.

OOOPPS - not Indian - gotta use Native American - Mom would be so happy. :-)

STL SUomi

Apaches were the coolest looking' Indians in my book! Probably the most fierce fighters too! I was thinking about putting together an Apache type outfit but I'd have to shave my beard!! :P

Don't forget "Screaming Squaw". She's always in buckskins and looks good.

I wonder if people know the translation of "Squaw"

You may want to do a search, the media and what they say the word means is off as usual.

They do like to spout it at all occasions however.

Something like that is all it takes to remove a word from our vocabulary, all in the name of political correctness, never mind if the premise is accurate or not.

Just a technical note:

There are no Homo sapiens "native" to the continent known as the Americas. Hence, there are no "native americans" --- all are immigrants.

(Yes, a more liberal, but less scientifically correct, definition of "native" would yield that all persons born in the Americas are "native americans". Hence, "native american" is still a misnomer when applied to a single race, or subspecies, of Homo sapiens born on this continent.)

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Hope you all have a nice day :)

Yeah, the wife and I have shown up in our rondezvous gear. They liked Wronggun's atire, but they didn't like mine too well. (Kinda like a Harley rider showing up at a rice grinder rally)

Had my leggings BREACH CLOUT( not a loin cloth) a type of "War shirt" that an Indian woman would of made for her white husband that wasn't a "Real war shirt" only braves wore the real thing. Mocks, beads, hair pipe breast plate, hair pipe choker, and floppy hat. The out fit pushes close to $1000.00 if ya added up all the hand made items, bead work and beads.

Good lord ya would think they was gut-shot, I don't think these "cowboys" would have made it out any further west than the Appalacian Mountains. If they did, they'd be riding with the "Apple Dumpling Gang"

Knarley

Not FULL costume. I and my persona are only a very small part NA; I dress "townie" and acknowledge my heritage with a couple of feathers in my derby hat. If ever I get back in funds, I've been looking at some stuff in the Dixie Gun Works catalog- beaded head(hat)band, trade trinkets with which to adorn my '92 to look somewhat like a trade musket, et c.

"...I'm a card carrying member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. I'm an Indian. :D...."

thank you sir , i was convinced i had shot with "indians" in the past - its just that nobody around here made any conversation about it , we here are very used to a lot of folks showing up for our shoots that are not traditional cowboy types-we got loggers from the northwoods types , we have lots of interesting characters and i or most others i know take no mind of such things , glad we all get to enjoy it ,

however - to return to my post for a moment , the person i referred to in my post is not a card carrying rez resident i assure you , he is an old rendezvouser turned cowboy , he used to do the reenactments of the voyagers/trappers for the fur trade era that was prevalent here , his costumes reflect that era more than the late 1800s but i love the guy for his "spirit of the game" ,

It seems to me we had a discussion on this not to long ago in the Saloon. It got rather confrontational after awhile.

It seems to me we had a discussion on this not to long ago in the Saloon. It got rather confrontational after awhile.

You're right about that.

Howdy; I am a card carrying member of the Mi'kmaw but can not get into the proper dress. If you saw the head gear you would understand. Evan the original members of the North West Mounted Police and there scouts use to cross dress with native cloths. So what is true in a made up game, its all good.

Archived