SASS Wire Forum

No I ain't dead (don't even smell like it)

Adirondack Jack, SASS #53440

Word has got back to the Southern "compound" that some of ya'll thought I was dead. Well I ain't. I haven't shot a match since Heluva Rukus 2011, or maybe once after that, and haven't fired a round of any sort in over a year. Life just led me in different directions is all.

First came bladder cancer in 2011, which made me stare ole Grim right in the eye socket, and I decided to pretty much junk my life in favor of chasing a different dream. I sold my business, divorced after 20+ yrs, and pulled the Hillbilly Airstrean south, lighting in N Central Florida, west of Ocala, near the gulf.

Long story short, a "recycled" former wife and I spent three years trying to put a life together, ultimately parting ways. It was a helluva ride. No regrets here, because I gave it all I had, and probably would again, because we only ever know what we know, and stories don't give up the ending until you take the ride.

Meanwhile, I'm four years out with the cancer, still clear, a real blessing. But nobody escapes the ravages of time, not even ole Jack. I've battled glaucoma for about fifteen years since I first discovered minor visual field defects.

Its progressed to what they call end stage now. I have severe restricted visual fields, tunnel vision, with some peripheral islands of sight on the sides. My right eye is damaged enough so that although 20-20 where i can see. I have big areas gone, and if I hold up my '73, I can only see about half the rear sight and nothing at all to the left of the blade. The left eye is somewhat better, but still has serious issues.

I had surgery on one eye a month ago. The other will be next.

So I'm officially retired. I do a fair bit of fishing in a lake right outside my door, or in the Gulf, 12 miles down the road.

So, next time somebody asks, ya know what happened to Adirondack Jack.

PS, I got me a new tattoo. First one in thirty years. It reads "Insist on the impossible", cuz that's what I do. ;)

good to hear frum you!!!!

Ya gotta ride the train to the end of the tracks, AJ. Get off at a few stations along the way. Take a spur off to its end. And come back to the main line. Sounds like you landed in a peaceful enough place. Maybe time to write "The Life and Times of Adirondack Jack." If nothing else, it helps wake up the brain and remember things, good and bad, once thought lost.

Hi AJ,

Just today I was wondering how you were doing. I knew you had been dealing with the big "C". Mainly because you and I both were at about the same time. Glad to hear you are still winning. As for the Ex-wife re-run. Yep, been there done that too. Here's a funny for ya. The marriage counselors have a saying about that. It's called taking another bite out of the some old t!rd :lol:.

Take it easy AJ

Good to hear you're still kickin around AJ.

It has been awhile.

It wasn't very long ago that somebody mentioned your name on the Wire. They were wondering what happened to you and stated that they missed your WISDOM and Knowledge on some of our gun issues.

YEP, you have been missed.

I'm glad to hear the good news update on your cancer. I hope everything remains well with you.

I'm still here in TN and get to retire in 1 more week. I hope to get my FFL this spring/summer and do alittle work on some 1894's, although it won't be a full time business.

Take care and keep in touch. We do miss you and your post.

..........Widder

Prayers up for you Jack.

Thanks to one and all. I'd be fooling myself if I thought I'd enjoy shooting with the eyes like they are. Probably just frustrate and make me focus on that issue. I do miss the people, but again, not a great spectator, would rather be in the arena. So I fish. That I can still do as well as ever.

Thanks to one and all. I'd be fooling myself if I thought I'd enjoy shooting with the eyes like they are. Probably just frustrate and make me focus on that issue. I do miss the people, but again, not a great spectator, would rather be in the arena. So I fish. That I can still do as well as ever.

I think all of us can understand that viewpoint. Stay safe and be well AJ

Hey There Hi There Ho There AJ,

Nice to know your still kicking. I'me retired now, but still shoot. Switched to BP and Cap and Ball. All the rifles still run with your carriers and C45S cases. Do Disney World twice a year. Wish I could afford to move too. Take care bub.

Coffinmaker

Jack, for a minute I thought this was an old Monty Python skit..."Bring out your dead" :blink:

Nice to hear from you pard and wish you all the best.

Wylie

Great to hear from you AJ!

Driftwood ole pard, when I try to convey the spirit of CAS, I tell stories. A favorite is about shooting the NorEaster with you and Blackerby and Iron Pony. All the great movie lines quoted while shooting, and IP shot a poorly placed target and caught a .45 ball in his "nether regions". The good old days ;)

Yo AJ, Glad to hear those rumors of your demise were just that.

Yeah - the story of Pony and the bounce back shot is one of my favorites memories on the range. He ain't been right since, but then I'm not sure how right he was before.

We had some good times, still try.

Glad all is well and hope ya still can get on the bike once in a while.

Enjoy the times brother and fish on!

Howdy AJ, I'm happy to know that you're on the green side of the sod. I'm still enjoying the Cowboy 45 Special brass I bought from you. Every time I load my open tops I think of you. Always happy to call you Pard.

DD-MDA

i just posted to the passing thread and illuded to exactly this , i am saddened i will not be running into you in the future at a SASS shoot , im traveling more for them these days so it could have happened , but perhaps you will find a place in your local club that lets you still share in the game even if you cannot compete ? its what i plan should i find myself in your situation , half the fun of this great sport is meeting the other folks and sharing the stories of the experience , stages are over in the blink of an eye but the after experience is what i remember ,

wishing you well , and remember what they say aboout old fishermen ....

Hello the fire,

Jack, it is good to hear you are still up and kickin'. You know it isn't the destination, it's the ride. It looks like you have a new area to ride in now. Enjoy the memories, the old friends you have and the new ones that are doing the stuff you are doing these days. Sometimes it is just nice to sit in the sun.

Chelsea

I still remember meeting you at the Ides some time back.....we were both walking around asking people if anyone had seen us....I finally called your cell and you were about 5' away when you answered and when I hear that gravel voice I turned and saw you. I think I'll give you a call next week and we can pick up where we left off.

Good to hear from you....if your phone number has changed.....pm me.

KK

good to hear frum you!!!!

+1. FL ain't much higher on my "acceptable to travel to" list than NY... but it is... So, if I do... I'll give ya a shout!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived