SASS Wire Forum

Comparable 12 Guage Ammo

Aunt Jen

Hello all,

My preferred shotgun shell is Winchester WinLite 12 gua., 2-3/4, 26 gram, 8 shot, I do believe, but I don't find it anywhere on the internet to buy. Is it discontinued officially? What ammo is comparable?

I have some AA shells that claim to be light target loads, but they hit pretty hard.

Thank you

just a warning! if it does not say aa they will be win lites. win lites come in a ribbed hull that did not shuck from our doubles. cheaper shell=still low recoil but same price as aa low recoil shells. found out the hard way at regionals GW

Mary has been shooting Fiocchi trainer loads. They are 3/4 oz and supposed to be low recoil. Federal also makes an Extra Lite with 3/4 oz load that's supposed to be low recoil. Grafs have the Federal loads on sale for less than $60/flat.

Last summer local Wally-World had the AA low recoil in stock when Winchester had a $2/box rebate. That brought the price down to about $6.75/box. I put 10 boxes in the shopping cart. Mary had questions. I explained that they had less recoil. Her comment, "What's the fun in that?".

On each box of shells, there's a bunch of info, including gauge, shot size shell length etc

Somewhere on that list is a "DR EQ" which directly relates to recoil. The "feather lites" you prefer probably say "Min" for minimum.

Any 12 ga shell with a 2 3/4" "DR EQ" will have a bit, not much, recoil than you're used to, but it's manageable. "3 DR EQ" or more is gonna hurt.

Unfortunately, the Dram Equivalent information does not show up on all boxes of shotgun shells anymore. Dram Equivalent related to velocity, and by extension it related to recoil. A 2 3/4 Dram Equivalent 2 3/4" # 8 shell (a standard light target load) has enough Smokeless powder in it to produce the same velocity that 2 3/4 Drams of Black Powder would with the same charge of shot. There are 16 Drams to an ounce, it was a more convenient way to define shotshell velocity than listing the powder charge in grains.

Lately I've been using some federal shotshells that are of the 900 fps verity and I prefer them over the faster ammo. I'll have to look at a box to get the exact info and the number to look for them I found that Brownells, midway, and cheaper than dirt all carried them but only one had them in stock last time I checked.

These are of the ribbed hull but I think are metric hulls so they are slightly smaller and I never had a problem ejecting them if I kept the chambers clean.

Aunt Jen

Here's what you need to look for. Winchester shells coded AA12FL8. These are code numbers meaning AA shells, 12 ga, Feather Lite, #8 shot. This number will be stamped on the end of the case of shells. The Win-lites are NOT the same thing, and use the Winchester universal hull.

The WAA12FL8 will be AA Cases, 1-3/4 Dram Eq., 24 gram shot, 980 FPS velocity.

RBK

EDIT Gamaliel Shooting Supply Has them in stock, per their website. Good folks to deal with.

Roger on the 2-3/4 I could also likely handle fine. I do okay with more, but after several, I get a sore shoulder.

On this one listed, it looks THE SAME as the WinLites I prefer in every way I can tell, though it does not give the Dr. Eq. The WinLites are 2-1/2. If these listed have the same velocity and shot, then I can extrapolate and determine that it's the same 2-1/2 of the winlites? This might work?

I chatted with them, and that is out of stock.

QUESTION: Am I hearing you all tell me that the AAs have a smooth shell that shucks better, and the WinLites have a ribbed shell that does NOT shuck as well?

If the WinLites are 2.5 dram eq., but the AAs shuck better, then maybe I should seek an AA with the 2.75 dram eq., but all other parameters same?

Winchester AA12FL8 should be the same thing.

Able's has them for $92.71 / Case

Midway has them for $88.99 / Case

The Winchester low noise, low recoil shells (aka featherlights) are what you need. See the above part number. For the last few years Winchester has offered a $2 a box rebate on AA shells with a maximum of $100 rebate. The offer started in May and ended in September. (https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Rebates/WinchesterAARebateRedemp.PDF is last year's rebate form for reference.) I suggest stocking up during the rebate period (if there is one this year) for the cost savings. Try ordering at your local Wally World. They will deliver to the store saving you shipping charges.

Thank you, Griz. YES, I have all the ammo I need for WR. I'm just looking to replace stock, here in the house, for other/future matches. I have ammo for WR, though. :) tks

Good deal, I could have helped with 12 GA but not the 45s.

I finished loading for the match yesterday, loaded enough 38s and 12 GA to shoot the match twice, I typically make sure I have plenty and then some just in case someone runs short.

I have been looking for http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900197404/winchester-aa-low-recoil-target-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-8-shot this kind of ammo, and not finding it. Every dealer I find for it is out of stock. :( It's not critical to get it now. I'll keep my eyes open.

Also,

Midway wants my birth date, and their reason, they say, is partly so they can market to me on my birthday. While I've heard good things about Midway, I have to say that Painless and I never have celebrated birthdays. I think it's because if I'm to be treated special on some day, to do it because society says it's good to, kind of reduces the pleasure of it. A better motivation for doing something nice for someone is just because you are happy to know them, not because society says you're supposed to. Also, birthdays also remind me of the shortening years I have left on the earth. I never celebrate birthdays.

I think they also want to verify that I'm over 21 (in my 50s), but my credit card info should do that, I'd think. But I'm a little put off by them requiring my date of birth. I've not know other dealers to do that.

Midway USA will give you special reduced pricing on everything on your Birthday. I put stuff on my wish list and wait for the email every year. No big deal giving them your DOB.

I stopped using Featherlites a long time ago. I picked up a few cases of Nobel Sport low recoil last fall for $65 a case. I've shot them for years in my double and 97. specs are 12ga, 2 3/4",, 7/8 oz, #8 shot, low brass orange shells. I bought them at my local gun store, always have, course, the owner is a SASS shooter. I'd post a picture, but I haven't figured out how.

Aunt Jen

In case you missed it, Gamaliels Shooting Supply has the shells you want in stock. WAA12FL8. AA's at 980 FPS.

www.gamaliel.com

RBK

Archived