SASS Wire Forum

Colorado Man Accidentally Kills Self With Pellet Gun

Skid Roper

Sad for the guy and his family.

I confess I have a morbid curiosity about what kind of rifle it was though. Some of the bigger ones have muzzle energies in the same range as a handgun.

Pyramid Airguns carries some pretty powerful pellet rifles. It would be interesting to see what the one in the incident was.

Meriweather Lewis almost shot himself with his air gun when doing his trek across the continent.

I guess that hummer was a deadly rifle.

Lewis and Clark's secret weapon - a late 18th Century .46 cal. 20 shot repeating air rifle by Girandoni , as used in the Napoleonic Wars. A Treasure Gun from the NRA National Firearms Museum. See more at http://NRAmuseum.com. Narrated by Phil Schreier.

As stated in the video it will put a .46 cal ball through a 1 inch pine board at 100 yards. Pretty darn impressive for a firearm designed in 1799.

Pyramid Airguns carries some pretty powerful pellet rifles. It would be interesting to see what the one in the incident was.

Over 40 years ago I had a Benjamin pump air rifle in .177 cal. Dispatched a lot of rabbits and squirrels out to at least 25 yards with no problems. Rid the barn and corn cribs of a lot of very large rats. I even dispatched one 40 or so lb raccoon with 2 head shots that was up a tree in Grandma's backyard.

People always underestimate the lethality of air rifles. Most today are a far cry from the Daisy Red Rider BB gun. I still remember the look of amazement on my Grandpa's face at the first squirrel I killed with one shot off the porch.

A 10 grain or so lead pellet at 700-800 fps will penetrate a lot of flesh. All my kills except the raccoon were with lead pellets and most were head shots. For the raccoon I used standard steel BBs because I didn't think the lead pellets would penetrate his skull.

Archived