SASS Wire Forum

Loosen the Shotgun Hinge

Aunt Jen

Hello.

I picked up my new shotgun, today, and it's great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bNmFBIUFj8 I have no problems cocking it, but I wanted to ask 2 questions of the group:

#1. In a match, should I cock the hammers before I open it and shuck the shells to reload 2 more shells, or after I've reloaded and closed it?

#2. It is new, and stiff. I removed the forearm and cleaned, applied some grease where it meets the gun, and greased it. That's where it was stiff. I didn't use any fine-grain emory cloth on it, or anything. To make it just fall open when I work the lever, after I've discharged the 2 rounds, should I use something on that joint? Or just let it wear with time?

Thank you

Aunt Jen,

On a hammered sxs there should be no spring tension on the hinge. If you can operate the opening/release lever easily the gun should drop open freely. If it is not you may need to fit the hinge joint. with the gun apart look for any burrs or signs of rubbing on the hook or the frame near the hinge pin. The part of the hook that contacts the pin should be dealt with very cautiously as it can affect head space, but the sides can be polished as long as you do not go over board. The metal piece at the back of the forearm can also be fitted to the front of the frame. Doing these two fittings should free things up considerably. If the release lever is difficult to operate the locking lug may need fitted and or a lighter spring may be needed.

As for technique, I use the T Bone method. With the gun shouldered place your front hand palm down on the top of the chambers, sweep the hand back cocking the hammers with the web of your hand and fore finger, operate the release lever with the thumb of that same hand. Now go for fresh shells with that hand while using your strong/trigger hand to twist the pistol grip of the gun just as you would twist the throttle of a motorcycle. The spent shells should drop free, re-shoulder the gun and load the fresh shells, grasp the gun normally, close, fire, repeat. With this method your off hand is doing most of the movement while your strong hand is holding the weight of the gun. If this is difficult another method that I used was not quite as fast, but spreads the weight of the gun between your off hand and your shoulder.

After firing the first two rounds operate the release with the thumb of your strong hand and go for fresh shells. With your off hand open the gun while keeping it braced against your shoulder. With a quick up and back and then down and forward motion (kind of a pivot around your shoulder) the spent shells should shuck. Load the fresh shells with your strong hand as you close the gun sweep back and down with the ball/ palm of your strong hand to cock the hammers.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

The gun you bought is NOT what T-Bone uses. His has the hammers close together for easier cocking. You may or may not be able to cock them both at the same time.

Check to be sure there are no sharp edges on those hammers, as they can really slice up your hand if they are not smoooooth.

On this shotgun, the hammers are short n wide. I cannot cock together, must do so 1 at a time.

Shell fall out fine.

Also it will not break open after been fired.

Can cock while it's open or after closed. WHICH IS BETTER? I can practice either.

Aunt Jen let Johnny Meadows do the work I have had about half a dozen or more SxS from Johnny all have be excellent. That is like his speciality or was at one time. Cock the hammered gun at loading table the load on line after that once you've ejected the spent hulls its up to when you re oct it for the next two rounds. Watch tbone if you can at WR speed event shooting the hammered SxS or if your lucky to posse with him then watch him as he speeds thru the stage but side match or warm up day would be better and he might be able to work with you for a few minutes if you ask nicely.

Aunt Jen,

If you like I would be happy to take a look at your SXS. I will be into WR Monday the 23rd and be in the Desperado Bullet tent most of the time.

I have seen a few if these units and we could take a look and see what might be best to do.

You have not made the beat choice for a hammered double, but......let's take a look.

Ol' #4

Can cock while it's open or after closed. WHICH IS BETTER? I can practice either.

Gave you my drill for this shotgun back a few days ago......

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233522&hl= post #7 in that thread. Try that method, and if you don't feel like it fits you, try another.

The hinge being tight is the ONLY thing that can really cause a hammered double to be stiff while opening. And all new doubles are a little stiff at the hinge. The factories fit them tight to make the lifetime of the double as long as they can. Even with that, doubles wear out faster than most other actions.

The way that the hinge action can be loosened up is either:

* fire 500 rounds through it, keeping the hinge well greased while you do that, or

* use a cratex tip to carefully hone off some of the concave surface of the forearm hanger (that backend of the forearm hanger which wraps around the hinge knuckle) and polish it until the barrels/forearm will drop almost of it's own weight when the action lever is tripped. Taking even a little too much off makes the hinge joint loose and wobbly, so it has to be done with plenty of "fit and try". You could do this with emery cloth or fine car-body metal-sand paper, but it's tedious work. If you want to use abrasive papers, find a dowel rod slightly smaller diameter than the knuckle, slot the dowel and wrap a single layer of paper, using the slot to hold the inner end of the paper. Then you can chuck that dowel up in a hand drill and CAREFULLY polish the curves in the forearm hanger.

As about 10 posts on hammered doubles in the last year have covered, the Colt 1878 copies made by the Chinese and sold by first TTN and now Cimarron, are the fast gun in CC category. The Pedersoli doubles are pretty, but almost twice the 1878/TTN price

Good luck, GJ

Archived