SASS Wire Forum

Phil Collins and the Alamo need our help!

Rancho Roy

I just read an interesting article in "True West" magazine about the rock star, Phil Collins and his amazing Alamo collection. He is donating the whole collection to the Alamo. Worth $15 Million! And he will help build a new museum at the Alamo to house it. He has Jim Bowie's knife, Dave Crockett's possibles bag and his rifle! And much more.

Donations are requested to help build the museum. You can help out here:

See Phil Collins video here:

With all due respect to the Alamo, I think Collins can handle it himself. He's got enough money to build 2 museums!

Rye

I think Collins did his part. He could have easily sold it. He doesn't need to build the building too.

I think that's awesome he is doing it.

I would have to agree. It isn't though he is merely lending his name to a cause as so many do.

He's got more than enough money to build the building! The guy is loaded! Don't you understand how much dough this guy has??? All his royalties from writing songs is enough for 2 lifetimes! I wouldn't donate a penny. If it was a grass roots non-profit bunch of Texans then I would give some money but not to this guy!

Rye

He's got more than enough money to build the building! The guy is loaded! Don't you understand how much dough this guy has??? All his royalties from writing songs is enough for 2 lifetimes! I wouldn't donate a penny. If it was a grass roots non-profit bunch of Texans then I would give some money but not to this guy!

Rye

Huh? Well, I suppose you will be donating then. This isn't Phil Collins Wild West museum...... He gave his collection to the state of Texas. Did you read any of the press statement or watch the video? It will be part of the Alamo museum.

From the press statement:

Former Genesis drummer, OscarTM winner, multiple Grammy AwardTM winner and Texana collector Phil Collins joins Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson to announce the donation of his famed collection of rarities to the State of Texas on behalf of the Alamo on June 26.

Having a Brit donate items of American history to an American national historical register site is a pretty amazing. He's not asking for any recognition or compensation.

Thank you Phil!!!

Rye

Sounds might liberal to me, spending someone else's money. 'Taint none of your business what he does with his own money any more than it's my business to tell you how to spend yours.

He didn't have to donate one damn cent and could have sold it on the international market for a fortune.

WOW what a great man to donate his collection. If we had more generous people in this world it would be a much better place.

I've always loved Phil Collins music and never knew this part about him.

Rye, don't understand your thinking.

Look folks, I think it's great that he donated all his collectibles to this endeavor. Some incredible stuff there but if he really wants to help and start a museum he could EASILY do it with his own money! I'm not against the guy (never was crazy about his music but that's just me) but he could do so much more with the tons of cash this guy has. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Rye

LOL he's not "starting a museum" he's adding to one that is already a museum and very historical one at that.

The thing is, he just did to something with the tons of cash he has in this donation.

That stuff he donated wasn't free to him. He bought it and it probably cost him a fortune.

Did you listen to the video? While other celebrities were buying Ferraris and houses he was buying "bits of metal and bits of paper" adding to this collection.

Yes, I figured you would stick to your opinion. People usually do.

I just read an interesting article in "True West" magazine about the rock star, Phil Collins and his amazing Alamo collection. He is donating the whole collection to the Alamo. Worth $15 Million! And he will help build a new museum at the Alamo to house it. He has Jim Bowie's knife, Dave Crockett's possibles bag and his rifle! And much more.
Donations are requested to help build the museum. You can help out here:
See Phil Collins video here:

I see that the OP said "Donations are requested to help build the museum". If it's already there then that's one thing but if it's not all I'm saying is Collins have more than enough dough to build one. To continue maintenance on the building would require donations. Maybe I misunderstood the OP.

Rye

Having a Brit donate items of American history to an American national historical register site is a pretty amazing. He's not asking for any recognition or compensation.

Thank you Phil!!!

Yep

Rye

Nobody is asking for money for Phil Collins or Phil Collins's museum. Phil Collins has already given millions of dollars to Texas to build the museum and they are asking for other donations to complete the finding, as I udnerstand it. Phil Collins doesn't own it.

To the question of if the building is already there? That's all explained in the 46 minute video that it sounds as though not many listened to so they are making misinformed judgments.

No, the building or even the land that it will stand on hasn't even been bought yet. The city of San Antonio is working that out with the state. They are looking for donations and they say they will likely charge an admission to this museum while the Alamo is free. As the pieces come over they will show some of it in the Alamo until the final resting place for the entire collection is built.

Some may be surprised to know that it was the organization that runs the Alamo that sought out Phil Collins.... Phil Collins didn't solicit them. They were looking to see if he would let them show some of it... he shocked them when he said he would give them all of it. Its right now housed in the basement of his house is Switzerland.... so its a blessing its finally coming home to Texas. Phil will pay for and oversee the shipping of the collection from his home to San Antonio. After that he is done.

So while its true that everyone is entitled to their opinion and we can all agree to disagree.... it just boggles my mind why he should in any way pay for a building to house the 15 million dollar collection he has give to them. He may have all the money in the world or not as much as you think... that isn't anyone's business. The main thing is he is giving up a huge amount of his money in the collection. Why isn't that enough?

Look folks, I think it's great that he donated all his collectibles to this endeavor. Some incredible stuff there but if he really wants to help and start a museum he could EASILY do it with his own money! I'm not against the guy (never was crazy about his music but that's just me) but he could do so much more with the tons of cash this guy has. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Rye

That's the same BS you hear about not join'n the NRA. :wacko:

Let others pay--Cause they got mo-money :rolleyes:

OLG

Well, I am a Phil Collins fan, I had the pleasure to see him in concert in Montreal some 35 years ago. That man is as amazing a drummer as I've ever heard of.

As for the donation, all I can say is WOW! If he had wanted to, that collection could have gone to his family at some point. How reasonable is it to expect that they would have donated it to Texas? I highly doubt it.

What I got from the clip is that he's is supremely pleased that it's going where it belongs, To me that there is a prime example of the Cowboy Way in action!

Just my $.02.

Frenchy

Facts-They be stubborn things, HUH. ^_^

OLG

Yea I guess what got me going was the OP says Phil Collins and the Alamo need our help. Whenever I hear that someone with the wealth that he has needs help I kinda recoil. It's a great cause for Texas and America. I'll probably buy something from they're gift shop.

Rye

A bit off topic, but I saw something in the original topic that raised a warning flag. Somethig about Jim Bowie's knife. As I understand it, the knife Bowie carried at the Alamo was never recovered, was probably carried off by a common soldier and was used up to destruction somewhere along the way, probaly in Mexico somewhere. Also these other belongings that pop up, which are attributed to the noted players of that hallowed battle, in my estimation, almost could never have the documentary trail to authenticate their legitimacy, but who knows? It will be interesting to see what Phil Collins has in his collection. Almost certainly, this new collection, once housed and displayed, will boost attendance at the Alamo by a large percentage. NOW, if only I could find Jim Bowie's buried silver horde, but they won't let me tear up the street there by the old brothel. :-)

A bit off topic, but I saw something in the original topic that raised a warning flag. Somethig about Jim Bowie's knife. As I understand it, the knife Bowie carried at the Alamo was never recovered, was probably carried off by a common soldier and was used up to destruction somewhere along the way, probaly in Mexico somewhere. Also these other belongings that pop up, which are attributed to the noted players of that hallowed battle, in my estimation, almost could never have the documentary trail to authenticate their legitimacy, but who knows? It will be interesting to see what Phil Collins has in his collection. Almost certainly, this new collection, once housed and displayed, will boost attendance at the Alamo by a large percentage. NOW, if only I could find Jim Bowie's buried silver horde, but they won't let me tear up the street there by the old brothel. :-)

There is an article with some pics in True West magazine this newest issue. Just got it yesterday, interesting article but I agree some of the artifacts Collins has look questionable. He supposedly has Davy Crockett's musket! Check out True West mag……..http://www.truewestmagazine.com/jcontent/

Well it IS possible that Collins has items that are legitimately documented to have BELONGED To Bowie and Crockett, but which were NOT at the Alamo. Not trying to diminish the collection or Collins, because heck, a single rifle ball or artillery fragment fired at the Alamo or any items, for that matter provably owned by any of the notable figures are true collector items in my opinion.

I'm anxious to see photos and read about Phil Collins and his collection.

I think it's pretty impressive what Mr. Collins is going. I personally don't believe that there was ever just one Bowie knife. Most historians feel that the original was made by his brother Rezin Bowie. In all of Bowies adventures during his relatively short life he had to have carried more than one knife and it probably was improved or adapted over the years. Bowie was quite a character and did it all from slave trader (probably not his most popular endeavor) to land baron. America has some really coo history for as young as we are. I make sure that my son learns all of the good stuff that he WILL NOT be taught in school. If I don't pass it on it will be lost.

I think it's pretty impressive what Mr. Collins is going. I personally don't believe that there was ever just one Bowie knife. Most historians feel that the original was made by his brother Rezin Bowie. In all of Bowies adventures during his relatively short life he had to have carried more than one knife and it probably was improved or adapted over the years. Bowie was quite a character and did it all from slave trader (probably not his most popular endeavor) to land baron. America has some really coo history for as young as we are. I make sure that my son learns all of the good stuff that he WILL NOT be taught in school. If I don't pass it on it will be lost.

:)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived