SASS Wire Forum

Another good reason not to live in New Jersey

Rancocas

“Beware of New Jersey,” warns Gordon VanGilder. The retired schoolteacher is the latest to fall victim to the Garden State’s gun laws —

the 72-year-old is facing up to 10 years in prison for having an antique flintlock pistol in his car. In this exclusive report,

his attorney notes that VanGilder is facing the same felony charge for his unloaded mid-1700s firearm as he would be for a loaded .44 Magnum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiI-2RD19q0&feature=youtu.be

There is nothing wrong with New Jersey!!!

The problem is some of the IDIOTS that live there!!

There is a GOOD reason to live in New Jersey?

And yes, I was born there and spent part of my childhood in that state and still have relatives there.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I make an occasional drive to New England from TN. I used to live for three years in Poughkeepsie, NY. I learned way back avoid I-95, New Jersey, NY City and Mass. I go up I-81 into PA , then cross into NY and go north. Less traffic and you avoid the gun idiot states/cities.

Hoss

I hope this poor guy wins his case. The ignorance of firearms in the state of NJ is unbelievable!! :angry:

It's not ignorance, it's intentional

I see no reason to ever even go through that septic system

I've never been there except the 4 times the Army has sent me to Ft. Dix for short periods.

It crosses my mind, when I hear about Christie running for president, that I would never vote for a candidate that the people in New Jersey would elect. That place may not reflect every person from New Jersey, but it reflects a majority (assuming they still have democracy there).

Did you see what they tried to pass about Ivory!!! They are nuts down there! You couldn't sell a piano if it had ivory keys from two centuries ago. Or a violin with ivory on the frets.

Did you see what they tried to pass about Ivory!!! They are nuts down there! You couldn't sell a piano if it had ivory keys from two centuries ago. Or a violin with ivory on the frets.

"Tried to pass...?"

They did, didn't they? Or was it an executive order... :huh:

My 1880's vintage cape gun has an ivory front sight... heck, back in the 1970's I had an ivory bead put on a Stevens sxs! :wacko:

"Another good reason not to live in New Jersey"

The thread's title reminds me of the story told about Albert Einstein, shortly after he announced his Theory of Relativity.

One of his critics reportedly said, "I could give you 100 reasons why your theory is wrong!"

To which Einstein replied, "One valid reason would be sufficient."

:D

Um...Roy...violins do not have frets, and fretted instruments (like guitars and banjos) have metal frets. That said, there can be some small amounts of ivory on many musical instruments. -- GIT

Um...Roy...violins do not have frets, and fretted instruments (like guitars and banjos) have metal frets. That said, there can be some small amounts of ivory on many musical instruments. -- GIT

I think ivory is more common on the bows, which can be worth more than the violins.

The bridge on a viol would not be ivory, the nut could well be. Many acoustic guitars have ivory nuts, and ivory saddles inletted into the bridge, but most are faux ivory or bone on today's better quality guitars. There were many smaller-bodied high quality guitars made in the 19th century which have the entire bridge made of ivory. -- GIT

"After consenting to a search of his vehicle, Mr. Van Gilder said he alerted the deputy of the pistol in his glove box. The deputy let him go that night, but four police officers showed up at his home the next morning with an arrest warrant, he told NRA News."

Once again it can not be stressed enough is never consent to a search of your vehicle, home or anything else.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/17/gordon-van-gilder-72-faces-10-years-in-prison-for-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz3S6ZWlSd3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

"After consenting to a search of his vehicle, Mr. Van Gilder said he alerted the deputy of the pistol in his glove box. The deputy let him go that night, but four police officers showed up at his home the next morning with an arrest warrant, he told NRA News."

Once again it can not be stressed enough is never consent to a search of your vehicle, home or anything else.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/17/gordon-van-gilder-72-faces-10-years-in-prison-for-/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS#ixzz3S6ZWlSd3

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Good advice! :)

Unfortunately, the man charged in this case is facing "black letter law". Black letter law isn't going to be overturned in the first hearing in criminal court. He'll be convicted. He'll appeal to the supreme court of NJ. He may have to go to prison while his appeal is pending. If he loses that appeal, and it is likely he will lose, he then will appeal at the Federal level. There, he may get relief, as the Federal judges can invalidate the inclusion of antique firearms in the NJ statute.

This guy's best hope is to raise such a media campaign that someone will decide that it isn't in their best interest to go through with a trial.

Remember, NJ is the state that has outlawed Red Ryder BB guns, making their possession equivalent to possessing an unlicensed machine gun.

Because of their draconian gun laws I wouldn't ever visit or even travel through New Jersey. I will not carry there even with my blue card and it's not safe to be in that trash dump without a gun. I didn't loose anything there and see no reason to leave any of my money there.

All sportsman should boycott states like this and that includes as much as possible every product or company based there and make sure they know why

New Jersey is worse than California, at least ol' Cally has some awesome weather! :)

Nope: We ain't talkin' weather here... :wacko:

With gun rights - Cali is the worst: http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1428/0/10-states-with-the-strictest-gun-laws.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Nope: We ain't talkin' weather here... :wacko:

With gun rights - Cali is the worst: http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1428/0/10-states-with-the-strictest-gun-laws.html

I wonder why Cal. is rated worst than NJ since you have to have a Firearms ID card for any firearm even antiques in NJ and in Cal you don't. They're pretty close though and I wouldn't live in either state. Ohio is one of the best in my estimation. (Weather kinda sucks though!) <_<

But read this poll:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2014/

I wonder why Cal. is rated worst than NJ since you have to have a Firearms ID card for any firearm even antiques in NJ and in Cal you don't. They're pretty close though and I wouldn't live in either state. Ohio is one of the best in my estimation. (Weather kinda sucks though!) <_<

But read this poll:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2014/

There's much more than just a FOID (firearms owners ID card - as said in Illinois) that causes a state to be more anti-2nd Amendment than another. In California (liberal's in charge) the intent is to eliminate firearm ownership. One method is the ever increasing regulations on firearms - especially handguns - in the name of 'safety'. Smith and Wesson and Ruger have pulled out of the California handgun market for this reason. Now with goofy laws like micro-stamping (hope that gets thrown out) and bullet buttons it only adds to lameness. Also add to the fact that California gun laws set a trend for the other states to follow....New Jersey? Meh...

Been a couple of decades since I was in NJ and while I have relatives there I will not ever go back, unless Congress undoes their firearms laws. There are several other states on my will never go there list as well. I do pity the folks who for one reason or another have live under that kind of tyranny, but I can do nothing to help them.

My 2¢

“Beware of New Jersey,” warns Gordon VanGilder. The retired schoolteacher is the latest to fall victim to the Garden State’s gun laws —

the 72-year-old is facing up to 10 years in prison for having an antique flintlock pistol in his car. In this exclusive report,

his attorney notes that VanGilder is facing the same felony charge for his unloaded mid-1700s firearm as he would be for a loaded .44 Magnum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiI-2RD19q0&feature=youtu.be

It was probably one of the high capacity assault flintlocks with a bayonet log and a shoulder thingy that goes up.

Archived