SASS Wire Forum

Inserting a Photo into a Post

Aunt Jen

Hello all,

I'm constitutionally private, and leery of internet usage and companies that say they're doing A and B, when what they're really doing is A to Z. I don't like my stuff data-mined...

Yet, I would, now and then like to share a photo here, insert the photo directly into a post. I don't see how to get the "My Media" button to do this, seen at the top of the reply page, and I remember someone sharing that I had to use something like Photobucket or Flickr?

I just read, online, about problems with hackers getting into people's accounts and about data-mining for advertising to be directed at people for using those services.

Is there a way to post a picture, here---other than relying on someone kind such as Grizzly Dave to do it for me---without getting entangled with all of that?

I found a thread that talks about how to post photos in a post:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=219914

But I'm inclined to agree with some of the posters there, that it should be allowable to upload from our own computer without getting tangled up in another internet company to do it. :)

I hope they allow that some day. A size limit could be required, if space is a problem. I'm thinking I would rather not get entangled, myself, with the other companies.

Thank you.

We are all already on the Internet. With all are info at banks , insurance companies and stores it's all there even if you never owed a computer.

I wouldn't worry about using a resource like photo bucket just make sure you never put any info or pictures that you don't want every one to see

Totally understand where your coming from but honestly I don't know of anyone that has anything bad happen by using an online photo sharing company. I've use photobucket for many years without as much as a hiccup.

I even use my photobucket photos on other forums that do allow direct uploading of pictures. That way I have full control over MY photos. If they are uploaded to their site, sometimes they get locked and my photo is there forever. If I link it to phtotbucket and I want to pull it down, I take it off photobucket and all that's left is a broken link in the thread.

As far as SASS hosting the photos, that may happen but it's a huge endeavor for someone to host photos. Like I said, even if they did I would still use my online account. The bottom line is I wouldn't worry about using an online photo hosting place.

Just my .02 cents....

-JD

What you are asking is that SASS store gigabytes worth of pictures just so folks can post.

When I insert a picture into my post, SASS does not load & store it.

They go to my link and get it every time my post gets read.

You're asking them to increase their memory and bandwidth bigtime so that you can upload pictures.

Are you willing to pay more to have them provide this service?

Or ask everyone to pay more so that you can do it this way?

I'm not being snotty here, but they found a way to provide this service for you for free at minimal hassle for them.

It's free and fast and it works.

And there are free hosting sites.

It works for everyone at minimal hassle for everyone.

--Dawg

Yes, there's that. But I've read about "Fuskering," wherein people work to gain access to photos on such as Photobucket, even if they're labeled private, and also about "Data-mining" from images for various purposes that include but are not limited to advertising and mischief.

I've been the target of mischief and more than those things in the past. I'm leery of the process for such reasons, but I also just don't like the idea that I'm likely to get more direct advertising as a result.

I'm sorry, folks. But for now, I think I'll refrain from going through a separate internet company at this time.

Totally understand where your coming from but honestly I don't know of anyone that has anything bad happen by using an online photo sharing company. I've use photobucket for many years without as much as a hiccup.

I even use my photobucket photos on other forums that do allow direct uploading of pictures. That way I have full control over MY photos. If they are uploaded to their site, sometimes they get locked and my photo is there forever. If I link it to phtotbucket and I want to pull it down, I take it off photobucket and all that's left is a broken link in the thread.

-JD

well, now, that is a good point, indeed.

If photos can be deleted from photobucket, that could be a good thing.

Is there a problem with any marketing or advertising they throw at you because you're using their site? I'd use a FREE account.

I wouldn't worry about using a resource like photo bucket just make sure you never put any info or pictures that you don't want every one to see

Agreed. If you wouldn't want your Mom to see it, don't put it online. Anywhere.

The first rule of the Internet is, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product being sold." That's how "free" services like Photobucket and Youtube make enough money to stay open. They sell advertising services to other businesses, then show those ads to the millions of people who come to see your cat videos and baby pictures.

If you don't want them to use your stuff for advertising purposes, you can use a paid web hosting service. You can find them for about $5 a month and up.

The first rule of the Internet is, "If you're not paying for it, you're the product being sold." That's how "free" services like Photobucket and Youtube make enough money to stay open. They sell advertising services to other businesses, then show those ads to the millions of people who come to see your cat videos and baby pictures.

so net result to me is... ??? Do I then start getting more spam in my email?

I happily got very little spam, until a couple months ago, when I started getting hit with some 30 a day.

Net result: with Photobucket, will my spam increase?

I happily got very little spam, until a couple months ago, when I started getting hit with some 30 a day.

I haven't notice any increase in spam,

one option you can use is start a new email free account don't put your real name on it and just use it for photobucket

I haven't had any spam email from photobucket that can directly attributed to. I get the occasional crap in my inbox, but nothing that's out of the ordinary. And to answer the other question, yes you can delete anything you put on photobucket. YOU always have full control over what goes up and comes down. And it's free.....

The only time you may see any advertising from them is if you or someone else views the photo from photobuckets actual web page. And even then it's just a small ad in the top of the page. Nothing obnoxious at all. It doesn't embed anything into your photo. If you link the photo in a forum, there is no advertising.

Hi Jen,

I know that someone wrote the SASS office months ago about having the ability to post directly here. I believe it would require a change to the software, which the PTB would need to request and probably pay more for.

If I post a photo here, I usually take it from my Facebook account.

Regards,

Allie

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, February 15, 2015 - Jen's request
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, February 15, 2015 - Jen's request

Hi Allie. I've decided to use a Photobucket account, though be very limited with it. :) I'm tring to upload one now.

I'm wondering if the way is to copy and paste the URL, so here's that try.

http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/almhath/media/Painless.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hmmm.. Progress. That allows someone to go to the photo in Photobucket. Now I need to figure out how to make that photo appear inside a post, itself. :) I've been told before, but that wasn't when I was trying to do it. Will try more.

This photo, by the way, is of Painless, my husband, and the relevance is that the gun cart there is the one I made for us. It served us for years. :)http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/almhath/media/Painless.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Aunt Jen.... getting close! :) There are a few link to choose from. Use the one called "IMG" That will put a link and show the photo in the forum like this. This is my 1860's with a pair of holsters I made and carved.

IMG_0099_zps91c4bcd6.jpg

Thanks Allie!

Hi Johnny. Where do I find that IMG link?

If you're looking at the photo on photobucket, it should have four options under it. Click on the last one called IMG which should copy it, then you just paste it in the forum. Are you seeing something that looks like this?

Capture_zpsmknr6irx.jpg

Okay. Here is a test of my FIRST time to insert a photo into this forum!

Wish me luck! Drum roll.... (Expertly done.)

The below (if it works) is a photo of Painless, my husband (now deceased), and the gun cart (mostly) that I made for us. It served us for many years, and SASS was a great way to connect to heritage. Joe, Painless, is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_F._Ware,_Jr. If interested, you'd find Para 3 under Biography to relate his interest: U-2, SR-71, etc. Amazing person. :) So here is the photo:

Painless_zpslxg9tjkx.jpg

one option you can use is start a new email free account don't put your real name on it and just use it for photobucket

I started a free Yahoo mail account for just that purpose 20 years ago. (Holy cow, was it that long ago?) Any time I need to use an email address to register with a site, like a forum or a download site, I use that one. It's even more useful now that most site registrations need to email you a confirmation link. Yes, I get a lot of spam there, but I can ignore anything that shows up there because anybody important who needs to reach me has my home email address.

Outlook.com (which used to be Microsoft's Hotmail) is a pretty decent free email service, as is Yahoo's. I have a Google Gmail account but I suspect they scan incoming mail for keywords so they know what ads to show me on Youtube. I try to not give them any more business than I have to.

Hi Jen,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I guess that explains your absence.

He sounds like a wonderful man.

Regards,

Allie

Yes, Allie. He got Parkinson's, and for several years working with him became more and more involved---which I am VERY pleased to have been here for. I love him more than my life. I cannot share ... his calm kindness, the simple wisdom he brought to just about everything. He was such a good teacher and humanitarian, in addition to being one of those geeks who automatically seemed to know math and science inside and out. He had an unassuming confidence about most things in life that I think was born from both his genius and his humility.

GRIZ: Sorry to have hijacked your thread. My intent was to show our gun cart, but it kind of blossomed.

I know you built a great guncart, and I enjoyed looking at it up in your first post this thread. Nice.

I've contributed many years to another Forum that is ran by one individual. Early on he made the decision to require all photos be uploaded to that fourm. The reason being there was a lot of people linking photos to an account and the then the picture went away or whole photo storage service. He has over 100,000 photos in the gallery. It's valuable because you can search the photos and when one of interest is found, you can follow the link back to the topic it was used in. If he can do it, I don't see why the WIRE can't.

I followed a photo link yesterday that went to some obscure photo service. Right off a pop-up came up alerting me that my system was running slow and was really insistent that I run their utility. I didn't think I was going to get away from it.

I've contributed many years to another Forum that is ran by one individual. Early on he made the decision to require all photos be uploaded to that fourm. The reason being there was a lot of people linking photos to an account and the then the picture went away or whole photo storage service. He has over 100,000 photos in the gallery. It's valuable because you can search the photos and when one of interest is found, you can follow the link back to the topic it was used in. If he can do it, I don't see why the WIRE can't.

I followed a photo link yesterday that went to some obscure photo service. Right off a pop-up came up alerting me that my system was running slow and was really insistent that I run their utility. I didn't think I was going to get away from it.

Hi Warden,

I am sure they can do this. Contact the SASS office with your request. The Moderators do nothing with the Software. All tech work must be requested by someone in the office.

Regards,

Allie

It's okay.

I'm divided on it. It's easier if we can upload directly, but one guy did mention that a benefit of such as Photobucket is that if one chose, s/he could delete the photo on Photobucket, and it would render the photos inop where ever they 'd been referenced.

So that's good.

On the third hand, I don't like being direct advertised, which they do, so...

I haven't even made up my mind.

Instead of using the "IMG" link, use the "DIRECT" link... it doesn't provide a "link" to your photobucket accout in your post, it just puts the picture in your post.

Moving your mouse over the photo, you notice the "arrow" (or whatever you use for a "pointer" changes to a finger, if you then click on it, it'll take you to the photobucket page. Using the "DIRECT" link, it just puts the picture in your post... no link.

IMAG0079_1.jpg

Now, if you click on the picture it just brings the pic out in a popout... no link and making others suffer thru phobucket's ads and new windows... etc.

A Google+ account is another option. It is a handy account to have as you can set your Android phone to automatically upload your photos to the Photos page of your Google+ account.

Archived