SASS Wire Forum

5.56mm Ammo Ban

Big Sarge

Perhaps you can point me at some documentation to back up your assertion? The information I've always found strongly suggested that the M193 was a better all-around load. In tests it outperformed the M855 in every category but one. That one category was penetrating a helmet at 200 yards. The M193 wouldn't do it but the M855 would.

NATO adoption of a cartridge requires successfully passing every test. The M193 breezed through every test but the helmet penetration one - which it failed. The M855 was adopted because it passed every test, but with the sole exception of the helmet test, was outperformed by the M193.

At least, that's what my research turned up. I have not personally conducted extensive tests between the two rounds for myself so I really could say.

The M855 does have a slight edge in its ballistic coefficient, but neither round is a particularly strong performer there. The .223 just doesn't have the bullet mass necessary for long-range performance in any load, so I wouldn't consider that to be much of a strong point for the M855 round. The M193 round has higher velocity out of the gate, negating that advantage somewhat as well.

But when it's all said and done, both are FMJ bullets. Neither is an exceptional performer at much of anything. Civilians can find much better ammo off the shelf at any gun store in America for whatever specific purpose they have in mind. FMJ is really only used for shooting targets by everyone I know. For every other task, civilian bullets create better wound channels for hunting game, or explode much more violently for shooting varmits (the two-legged kind too!), or have much better aerodynamics for shooting tight groups, etc.

You yourownself, said the m855 has a slight edge.

I know I use less come ups from 100yds to 500yds with the M855 round out of my M4.

That M193 round may start out faster-But it slows down quicker, and is more affected by wind than the M855.

My M4 for SD has a bunch of M855 ready to go--

OLG

I know I use less come ups from 100yds to 500yds with the M855 round out of my M4.

That M193 round may start out faster-But it slows down quicker, and is more affected by wind than the M855.

OLG

I said it has a slight edge at range, but that doesn't translate to it being better overall.

Again, I haven't done tests for myself, so I can only regurgitate what I've read from people who are (hopefully) more knowledgeable than me. Those results state the the M855 really only has an advantage at distances of 200 yards or greater, which is pretty much outside of the best effective range of the .223 anyway. Below those ranges, the 55 grain M193 outperformed it with aplomb.

For the record, I have more M855 (technically SS109) in my inventory than any other bullet. I got a bunch of pulled SS109 bullets and once-fired Lake City brass back in the panic days and loaded it up with a full charge of IMR 3031. The bullets are fast and accurate, but I can't say that they have any advantage over the 55 grain FMJ bullets I've fired.

I said it has a slight edge at range, but that doesn't translate to it being better overall.

Again, I haven't done tests for myself, so I can only regurgitate what I've read from people who are (hopefully) more knowledgeable than me. Those results state the the M855 really only has an advantage at distances of 200 yards or greater, which is pretty much outside of the best effective range of the .223 anyway. Below those ranges, the 55 grain M193 outperformed it with aplomb.

For the record, I have more M855 (technically SS109) in my inventory than any other bullet. I got a bunch of pulled SS109 bullets and once-fired Lake City brass back in the panic days and loaded it up with a full charge of IMR 3031. The bullets are fast and accurate, but I can't say that they have any advantage over the 55 grain FMJ bullets I've fired.

Maybe now it's time for you do your own tests. ;)

BTW: The .223 works well past 200 yrds. Try it sometime.

Taken plenty of rabbits and 'yotes' out at 400.

OLG

It's what's issued. Green tip 62 gn bullet

Much better 'stopper' than the old 55fmj(m193)load.

Carries better at distance too.

Do some research and you'll know.

OLG

I agree about it being better that the old 55grainers, but there are much better available...hence the arguement of a larger bullet and even a new caliber. I have done a little research as well and i remember shooting this stuff. And im sure it wasnt the ammo that kept your kids alive in those firefights, I am sure it had a helluva lot to do with training, determination and heart! They woulda fought and made the best of slingshots if its all they had.I am a big believer of getting the best you can get to our boys....God bless them and keep them safe..I like the 77g smk.. it in my humble opinion(just personal shooting experiances) leaves the 62s in the dust.(the crap refference)..no offence meant

Maybe now it's time for you do your own tests. ;)

BTW: The .223 works well past 200 yrds. Try it sometime.

Taken plenty of rabbits and 'yotes' out at 400.

OLG

It's definitely on my to-do list. :) Trouble is, there ain't many places to shoot that far around here. Furthest I've ever fired was 100 yards or so. Down in the swamps, there's very few places where you can fire more than 100 yards and not hit something.

I won't say I've ever done it but an AR will punch a turkey well past 300 yards. I have hit steel at 800 with my Colt HBar. Scary accurate when I had a scope on it. With the 1/7 twist, my groups with 55 gr. FMJ are around 0.75 inch at 100. With the 62 grainers it shrinks to 0.5" or so. I have never ran the 77's cause they won't fit in my mags without reducing the powder charge and who want's to do that?!?!!

There's my test.

Someday I hope to have a long range AR (20" whatever twist :D ), but for my current use - plinking and self defense the carbine is fine - I only shoot 55gr stuff anyway. Still wrote my comments to the BATF supporting the 62gr type. Give an inch and they take a mile is real.

Anyway, this is why I opted for the 1:9 twist...6721 model.

...and this is interesting...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=470522

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That 'crap' kept 3 of my kids alive in multiple fire-fights. :rolleyes:

It's very good ammo in the 'rite' barrel with a 1/9 ROT.

OLG

OLG

I thought ARs typically had 1:7 twists. (especially the military guns)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived