SASS Wire Forum

Free Ammo

Aunt Jen

No, no, now wait a minute.

I'm sitting here watching Seth McFarlane in a documentary about dangers in the old west. He has no money for mustache cream, but he shoots ALL THIS AMMO for his girlfriend to teach him how to shoot!

And it dawns on me: Ammo, in the Old West, was always FREE!

Nobody in the old west EVER had to pay! Not Sheriff Bart. Not Painless Potter. Not John Wayne----well, I can understand free ammo for John.

But here I am celebrating those times in our history, and I have to BUY ammo?

What am I missing?

Where is all the free ammo?

If you were a buffalo hunter back in those times, the US Army would hand out free .45-70 at no charge.

Me? Why, I'd always buy my own. Never had trouble comin' up with the money, either. Didn't have nothin' to spend it on, really. Until I agreed to hunt lions for that rancher and met that girl, that is.........

I'm sitting here watching Seth McFarlane in a documentary about dangers in the old west. He has no money for mustache cream, but he shoots ALL THIS AMMO for his girlfriend to teach him how to shoot!

Nobody in the old west EVER had to pay! Not Sheriff Bart. Not Painless Potter. Not John Wayne----well, I can understand free ammo for John.

What am I missing?

Not in Winchester 73.

What am I missing?

obviously, it's already been shot up!

What am I missing?

There's plenty of movies where they buy ammo. I've seen Marshall Dillon frequent in the store and he asks for a couple boxes of 'cartridges". In Monte Walsh a couple of guys bought ammo. No it wasn't free, it's just a mundane task that's omitted from the movies.

Well, then, maybe it's like free liquor?

SOMETIMES they pay; but usually they don't. :)

Yea sometimes it's free like when the bad guys say,"Gimme a bottle and then he walks over to the table with his friends and never pays! Of course the bartender never calls the sheriff cause the sheriff is "skeered of the bad guys". So, free booze if you're a bad enough hombre! :P

In the movie Conagher, Sam Elliott came into the trading post with a couple of Sharps rifles and announced that he was in a trading mood. Along with the beans and bacon was a box of 44/40.

I wouldn't have expect anything less from Sam ;) ;)

Regards,

Ringer

Only exception I can remember was El Dorado when John Wayne takes James Caan to see someone who sells him a sawed off double rig and says to Caan "Pay the man."

Otherwise musta been free most of the time.....could have been all them boulits was gubbermnt subsized on account some of em would be used to kill some of dem red skins. On second thought iffn it waz a gubbermnt progrem to give out free boulits a bunch of em wouldnta gone bang atall or woulda wizzed off in some diffrent direction and kilt Bessie the cow insteada Buster the cowpoke!

John Wayne, in "The Searchers": "Why, you ain't even got money to buy cartridges!"

So, apparently the mundane was conducted off-camera....... :-/ :-)

Aunt Jen puts down her drink carefully, as not to split her infinitive.

"BUT, as I recall, Kevin Kline, in 'Silversdo,' DID have limited funds at the beginning and so the store did limit him to a broken down ole piece, with scant ammo."

The pards all slapped their hand on the nearest bar or table top.

"But it worked, and I'm sure the other Good Guys in the movie were thankful."

John Wayne, in "The Searchers": "Why, you ain't even got money to buy cartridges!"

So, apparently the mundane was conducted off-camera....... :-/ :-)

Ah, ya beat me to it, Cat.

But I vaguely recall one time where Ethan Cord was seen purchasing both a shotgun, I think it was an 87, and a box of shells marked .44-40. This was on that really good, and sadly short lived, TV Western called Paradise (Later, The Guns of Paradise) in the 1990's.

Musta been for use in his Hollywood Henry made out if what looked like a '66. (Musta been a reproduction)

when John Wayne said "You ain't got money to buy cartridges" he pronounced it "kahtridges" which I think is a cool way to say it.

Archived