SASS Wire Forum

Quigley Rifle?

Aunt Jen

It seems for the film, "Quigley Down Under," it was a .45-110 by Shiloh, with a 34" octagonal barrel.

But if I were interested in getting one of these, or SOMETHING like it, does this intelligent group feel there is any reason to spring for the Shiloh at $3465? http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product.php?productid=115

Or might the Pedersoli be about as good at $1499? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersoli-Sharps-Quigley-Sporting-Rifle/1608234.uts

Thank you

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have 2 Pedersoli 34" Sharps. Barrels are match grade, wood is average European, fit to finish is above average. Shiloh's are match grade, wood and fit to finish is much better. But the barrel quality is what counts

.....AND....

If you had one chambered either for the 70 or 110, and if you only ever shot 70s through it, would it become less accurate over time because of the gap in the chamber?

Would the bullet round the barrel where it enters?

Pedersoli makes very good barrels as stated above ,,, SO,,, the extra money buys you a great Name ,fancy wood and better finish...

Having said that I think you should buy two Shiloh's and give one to me,,,, Thanks

Wish I had the Bucks for a Shiloh,,,

Jabez Cowboy

I have a Pedrosoli business rifle, my buddy has a Shiloh business rifle. Side by side there isn't a dimes difference in fit, finish or wood quality. Both are about equally accurate. I believe in buying American but not at twice the price

My brother shot a 45-110 Pedersoli in BPCR matches. He routinely won matches and shot high aggregate for the season with it. Generally, a great gun in the hands of an excellent shooter.

Now, the downside. After several successful seasons he needed shoulder surgery. The recoil was pretty stout and it beat him up pretty good. The surgeon told him it was a one time fix. He would have to give up BPCR which he did. Since we have both had shoulder surgery I imagine we are predisposed to this sort of thing but there are several BPCR shooters I know who have been in the same boat.

So, bigger cartridges may not be better.

If you want new, take a look at the C.Sharps Arms website and their list of available rifles. If there isn't one there, then use their "rifle builder" and see what it would cost to have them make one for you. Just now, it looks about $400-$500 less than a Shiloh and there isn't a wait that's a bit over 2 years.

Consider a couple of questions also... Is such a powerful cartridge needed? Even the top target shooters back in the Sharps days moved to 40 caliber for their matches, and later to 38 etc. They found that punishment wasn't required and in fact was detrimental to shooting accurately at targets. Nor was it fun for it's sake. And do you want to shoot and enjoy it anytime soon? Did you know that 40-65 brass is made from sizing 45-70 with your reloading dies?

There are many ways to skin a cat.

What Lil Red said. Everyone recommends the 45-70 for a number of reasons but all around its the best choice for most of us. But I'd sure look at the calibers he mentioned. Something else....find a BPCR match and attend it to watch the shooters and ask a few questions. You'll rarely find anything more powerful than a 45-90, if that, due to the pounding rifles in the 12 lb range and below can deliver.

New 40-65 brass is generally available and would be an excellent choice.

My wife has a c sharps hiwall chambered in 4065, and she does great with it. It may be the most accurate black powder cartridge rifle we own. It works fine out to 800 yards with low recoil. No regrets picking that one up! They had it in stock, and no waiting.

Have you ever fired a .45-110 with full power BP loads? Very much an experience!

Do you reload BP? You will need to take full advantage of the rifle.

A .45-70 or .45-90 will kill anything on this Earth and win target matches out to and pass 1K yrds.

Shiloh's are the Rolex of the 1874 Sharps rifles and hold their value.

Shiloh's customer service is tops. Shiloh makes their rifles 100% in house in Big Timber, Montana with stock wood imported from Missouri.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/

YES! A Shiloh is worth every penny :excl:

I own 2 of them ;)

OLG

My wife has a c sharps hiwall chambered in 4065, and she does great with it. It may be the most accurate black powder cartridge rifle we own. It works fine out to 800 yards with low recoil. No regrets picking that one up! They had it in stock, and no waiting.

+1

Great cartridge

Aunt Jen once you decide on the delivery platform( the model of the rifle) you need to see what calibers it is available in. The research which calibers are best for London distant target shooting. The list will be different from a hunting selection where you need mass and force to take down the game. But to hit steel or punch a hole in paper doesn't require the same items. While I'm not a long range shooter yet but im been wanting a 1000 yd gun for side matches. My current side match single shot and plainsman rifle is a h&r 1871 target classic in 38-55. It's great for plainsman since the recoil is light and the shells are narrow but long the size of your 38 brass but about four to five times longer.

When I get ready to buy the buffalo gun I'll first decide on the modle im thinking sharps then I will see what calibers I can get it in the im gonna but the best round for target shooting. If I ever go hunting I'll rent the firearm.

I've heard good things about some makes, and as popular ad the .45-70 is, I've also heard good things about the .38-55----except that the .38-55 rounds are hard to get.

Also, I wil not reload.

I don't know about BP, It looks good, but I wonder if they're dirty or if they can be purchased.

Are shells in .40-65 easier to find than .38-55?

Starline sells 40-65 cases but you do need to load them.

Buffalo Arms sells loaded ammunition for most of the common antique cartridges. If you decide to reload they also sell cast bullets.

Well if I'm not correct the buffalo rifle is required to use bp. They have single shot smokeless as well as SS bp.and lever smokeless and bp. It would help to know the exact match that you are planning to shoot as each have different requirements usually but some can be used in two or three events with different loads and setups.

Hey if the Caliber is up for discussion I suggest the .40-65 Cases are cheaply made (one pass through reloading die with

New brass ,,, Done) .

I have two Rifles in each of .38-55 and .45-70 and guess What I shoot my .40-65 more than any of the others.

I will do the job to way past 1,500 yards and with less recoil than the .45 calibers, and with less wind drift...

Jabez Cowboy

I can't comment on any other than the 45-70. I had a Pedersoli 30 inch and it was very accurate. I cheated and wore a recoil pad UNDER my shirt to help with recoil. I don't shoot BP so I was buying Ultramax cowboy 45-70 rounds. It was a nail driver out to 500 yards which is the farthest we shot at either range. I ended up selling it when my non recoil shoulder went south on me and I had a hard time holding the rifle steady for off hand shots.

I bought the rifle Charlie Whiskers wrote about. I've shot with friends that have Shilohs, Sharps and Brownings. Yes, fit and finish may be better on their rifles but I can hit the 500 yard gong as often as they can..

Thanks Charlie.

Howdy Aunt Jen;

You can buy "Ultramax", Buffalo Arms and "Bullet Barn" and I'm sure their are custom loaders out there.

And learning to load ammo is safe and simple for a lady , they seem easyer to teach than men.

One of my good friends shoots a .38-55 with good effect for Ringing Steel out to beyond 1,100 yards , but he sometimes has trouble with knocking the Rams over at 500 plus yards. He's a great shot and a better Pard .

I shoot a "Highwall" but a Sharps style gun is also a fine arm, My Highwall is a Modern version made by Uberti and shoots great.

All the best

Jabez Cowboy

I bought the rifle Charlie Whiskers wrote about. I've shot with friends that have Shilohs, Sharps and Brownings. Yes, fit and finish may be better on their rifles but I can hit the 500 yard gong as often as they can..

Thanks Charlie.

I'm glad you're enjoying it Crusty. I still have 2 trapdoors and a Sharps carbine if I ever get the urge to beat up on my old body again. :unsure:

...my single shot rifle is a Uberti high wall in .38-55... meownself likes this caliber, kick is very manageable...

...my large bore lever action is a Winchester in .38-55...

...had several .45-70 rifles in single shot & lever action and sold them... ...for the distances that we shoot, the .38-55 is fine...

PS - I also have a Remington Rolling Block in .45-90... ...a beautiful rifle, fine shooter, but prefer the .38-55s...

Okb

I think I'm not likely to be into BP.

If you are not going to be shooting Black Powder, there is no sense to even looking at the 45-90, 45-110 or 45-120. Loaded with Smokeless powder, the 45-70 will do anything any of those other calibers will do. The only point to the longer cartridges is stuffing in more Black Powder. You can stuff all the Smokeless you need into the 45-70 for anything you want to do.

Frankly, 45-70 is the most practical of all the cartridges you are talking about. More practical than 45-90, 45-110, 45-120, 40-70, 40-90, 44-77, 44- 90, 50-70, or 50-90. There are more components for 45-70 available more easily than for any of those other cartridges. And more information about reloading them too. 38-55 is a bit of a crap shoot. Rifling groove diameters are not always standardized and some fussing may be involved to get ammo to match a barrel.

If you are not going to be reloading, none of those cartridges makes much sense other than 45-70.

See if you can find a copy of Mike Venturino's book Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West. It is currently out of print, but Track of the Wolf has it and so do a couple of other vendors. Most authoritative book you will find on shooting the old single shots in a variety of calibers including information about loading them with Black Powder. Sorry, no Smokeless ammo, but the book is worth it anyway. Mike says before you try any of the other more esoteric cartridges to start with 45-70 first and I agree with him for the reasons I stated above.

Second, ignore the fancy rifles like the Quigley if you are going to go with an Italian gun. When I started looking for a Sharps a bunch of years ago I checked out a lot of them. I was very disappointed with the quality and execution of things like checkering and fore end caps with all the Italian rifles. Spending big bucks on a Shiloh is one thing, but for an Italian rifle I decided to stick to a plain, uncheckered, un-fore end capped rifle. I did not want to aggravated by poor execution of those features every time I looked at the rifle. My criteria for a Sharps was a plain stock with pistol grip, shotgun style butt pad, and double set triggers. The shotgun style butt pad was very important because with a heavy recoiling rifle the points of a crescent shaped butt hurt like the dickens every time you shoot it unless you mount the butt outboard circling around the shoulder joint. This proved to be awkward for many shooting styles. The shotgun butt can be placed anywhere and will not dig holes in your flesh.

This is the rifle I bought and I have been very happy with it ever since. Watch Dixie for sales, this rifle goes on sale periodically and you can save a hundred bucks or so on it when it is on sale.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_184&products_id=2576

P.S. I paid $800 for mine when it was on sale a bunch of years ago, but that was a bunch of years ago.

Archived