SASS Wire Forum

Best Rifle for Long Range Side Matches?

Aunt Jen

well that all depends on the clubs you are shooting ,

is it a speed shoot , 100 yd target , or is it truely long range 300+ yds ?

I have won AR state single shot , twice with a B78 Browning 45-70

a 38-55 has less recoil than the 45-70s , but I feel the 45-70 is much better at ranges over 300 yds

1 of the guys , won OK state long range lever with a 30-30

without a bit more info , all anyone can do is guess , what might be the BEST

SORRY to rain on the parade , but all I can do is that , at this time

Chickasaw Bill

BTW , I have owned and shot 30-30 , 32 Win Spl , 38-55 , and 45-70 , at one time or another in long range

You asked what rifle. If money is no object then get a Shiloh. If money is a factor then the Pedersoli sharps and the Browning BPCR. And if caliber is a concern get a 45-70 (even though my Shilohs are anything but 45-70) and if recoil bothers you then opt for 40-65. That said, there are those that are really competitve in sillywetter using a 1875 C. Sharps w/ their single set trigger and in 38-55.

40-65 really has good credentials. It's popularity was displacing the 45 calibers back in the Creedmore days (1000yd matches back in the really old days) until the 38-55 came along. 40-65 350 and 400 grain slugs had better ballistic coefficients than even the 500gr 45s slugs. BC tells you how flat the trajectory will be and more importantly what the wind will do. The brass is made now by Starline.

Are you considering new or used?

If you're going to shoot black, AND plan on shooting beyond 3-400yds, AND want a 45 caliber, then the longer cartridges are favored. And they aren't easy for everyone to shoot. However, the 40-65 and 40-70SS were favored cartridges for BP Silhouette where accuracy and knockdown are required out to 500yds. Black powder sort of limits velocity for all the cartridges to about the same general velocity. So 40s and 45s give about equal performance out to about 1000, so why not do it with 300-400grain slugs instead of 400-500.

But if you're going to shoot smokeless... You won't need the 45s longer than the 45-70 case. Nor a 40 more than the 40-65.

If you're going to shoot less than 400... 45-70 is most sensible of the 45s.

I notice people keep talking about BP.

I will learn more, but i am curious about it. Why is it so popular?

It's the simplest to reload. Fill up the case enough the bullet compresses the powder and it's done.

No expense or effort finding what smokeless powder works.

Popular games like Silhouette don't allow smokeless. (Silhouette might be the most fun target match ever conceived.)

Shooting it provides an automatic excuse for your performance. ;)

NOISE, SMOKE and FLAMES ! It's the total package.

Uhhh , Lest Lil Red's post above lead to some confusion , only the BPCR Silhouette game is restricted to BP. There are several other silhouette disciplines that shoot smokeless loads.

Just sayin' , Rex :D

Cool...

Got any links to any?

I've shot BPCR with both 45-70 and 38-55. Shot AAA class with both. Had a 1902 Rolling Block action (one of the last ones and made to handle 7mm smokeless rounds) and had that action barreled to 38-55 with a fast twist for caliber (can't remember right off hand, sold the gun 15 years ago to fund another project). OUt to 500M with a 325gr bullet it was a tack driver. Little recoil. Won several 10 ram and 10 pig pins with it. I think my best ram string with that rifle was 28.

When I gave that game up (only some hours in a day and weekends in a year) about 10 years ago, I was shooting 45-70 out of a Pedersoli Sharps and/or a CPA Stevens chambered in 45-70. On windy days the 45-70 is a bit of an advantage. Also, I shot 520gr bullets in the 45-70 and that gave a little more margin of error to knock down rams and pigs with a skinny hit.

Sorry couldn't answer your "what's the best" question. The honest answer to that all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I think the obvious "gun nut" answer is you must get at least one of each.

GS.

I've shot BPCR with both 45-70 and 38-55. Shot AAA class with both. Had a 1902 Rolling Block action (one of the last ones and made to handle 7mm smokeless rounds) and had that action barreled to 38-55 with a fast twist for caliber (can't remember right off hand, sold the gun 15 years ago to fund another project). OUt to 500M with a 325gr bullet it was a tack driver. Little recoil. Won several 10 ram and 10 pig pins with it. I think my best ram string with that rifle was 28.

When I gave that game up (only some hours in a day and weekends in a year) about 10 years ago, I was shooting 45-70 out of a Pedersoli Sharps and/or a CPA Stevens chambered in 45-70. On windy days the 45-70 is a bit of an advantage. Also, I shot 520gr bullets in the 45-70 and that gave a little more margin of error to knock down rams and pigs with a skinny hit.

Sorry couldn't answer your "what's the best" question. The honest answer to that all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I think the obvious "gun nut" answer is you must get at least one of each.

GS.

Yep, that settles that and then get a 40-65 later!!!

FWIW

I'm using my grandfathers original Rem. Rolling Block I had rebarrelled for 38-55. I shoot smokless and it's a fine shooter at 100-300 yards. I also shoot a Marlin 1895 lever in 45-70, again a smokless load designed for a trapdoor rifle. I've used it with sucess at 100-500 yards. I don't hunt any more, so paper targets or steel plate is all I'm concerned about hitting. It works for me, and that's what matters really.

Archived