SASS Wire Forum

Real 97 vs replica

Barbwire Bill, SASS #661

I own and shoot about six or eight winchester 1897 16 gauge shotguns. I've never owned a 12 gauge. When I started SASS I was in a gun shop and they had my first 97 and it was a 16 gauge and I bought it. Why 16 gauge you ask? When I was a teen growing up in Colorado my first shotgun was a Montgomery Wards 16 gauge shotgun made by Mossberg I believe. I took many duck and pheasants with that gun and really liked it so being the spur of the moment shopper like I am I bought the winchester mentioned above. Whenever I see a 1897 for sale and its a 16 gauge it usually follows me home. I buy the Herters shells from Cabelas and when I go through Glendale, AZ. I usually buy 4 or 5 cases and they are about $7.50 per box that way. I do reload but Herters shells are cheap enough I don't usually bother with it.

I have quite a few 16 gauge doubles but haven't really felt the need to go to a SxS with the 97's working so well. I do have an occasional issue but when you're shooting five matches or so a month that's to be expected. C&I has one ready for me right now if I ever get up there to pick it up. IMHO there are still many really good 1897's out there and there will be for many years to come. the one I like and use the most was built in 1903 and I won and action job from C&I last year and had Jim Bowie work it over, it is a very smooth gun. The Chinese do not make a 16gauge 1897 and probably never will so I'll keep collecting and shooting real Winchester 1897's.

Archived