SASS Wire Forum

Dixie has Paterson Revolvers again!

Rancho Roy

Yeah, well at $600 a copy for a copy, that's just too darn much, boys and girls.

Lessee.... 600 for the revolver itself...

Not *too* bad...

Probably another 400 to have it cartridge converted to .38 S&W...

Why the conversion, you may ask? Ever since I saw a picture of one on the cover of Guns of the Old West, I have wanted one.

Total $1000.00. Hmm... Well, I'd consider it...

Yeah, well at $600 a copy for a copy, that's just too darn much, boys and girls.

Last Ubertis clones I saw new, were $900/ea., over 6 years ago.. $600 seems like a bargain!

The Paterson is a much more complex revolver than later Colts and there is a pretty limited market for them. The complexity, lack of interchangeability of parts with later models and low production numbers certainly justify the price.

I recently picked up one of the out of production Uberti Patersons, unfired, for far less than the typical asking price. I've heard it said that the Uberti is a slightly more accurate reproduction, mine even has the many grooved, narrow land rifling unique to the Paterson. If you think $595 for a Pieta is high, try to find a reasonably priced Uberti Paterson.

Patersons have no use in our sport but they are very significant historically and way cool. What a gun is worth is pretty much a personal question. I just may have to have one of the Pietas with that neat nine inch barrel.

Are they legal in SASS ?

They are only five shot capacity with no notch or pin to positively locate the lowered hammer between chambers so could only be loaded with four shots.

My Uberti has a very heavy hammer spring that makes it very difficult and awkward to cock one handed. That hammer spring is a hairpin design and I suspect a replacement would be difficult to find so trying to thin or lighten it is not in the cards for me.

Archived