SASS Wire Forum

Identify Hat Style

Hopalong Mac McLin

Can anyone identify this hat style and where can I get one?

Thanks pards.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206221685681068&set=gm.10153027326698290&type=1

The hat chart on Tonto Rim's website calls it a "slope" crown:

http://tontorim.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page43.html

I'm cheap (thrifty)...re-shape one of your old felt hats, or buy a cheapie and reshape it the way you want.

Roy Rogers and his son Dusty show how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OisMaRcdQI

Hat shapes area called lots of names, they are not very specific, and vary from maker to maker. Most good hat shops insist you have a good photo of what you want. Even then, the results can be less that what you wanted. Best is to have it shaped while you are there to try it on and adjust it to suit your face and persona. If a hat shop around you can't make it to the shape, the brim, crown size, color and weight you want, you picked a bad hat shop - try another.

Most large matches have a hat vendor or two around. That can work pretty well if you stick with standard colors and medium weights. A high-end hat, they would most likely have to order the body and send it to you.

Mail ordering a hat can be a real adventure. But, if you are game, I'd suggest Tonto Rim or Knudsen's. I've had good luck with them getting somewhat close to what I wanted.

Otherwise, steam it and shape it yourself.

Good luck, GJ

I disagree with GJ on tonto rim I use to a lot business when Denny owned until he sold me a hat that wouldnt hold shape no matter what. I talk to him about it and he said tough luck. So I'll never do business with the firm again I'm that way.

Now if you're going to be at a match with the d bar j hat co I would contact them ahead of time and have them know what you are looking for so they can have everything on hand for you.

Another good hat co is bronco sue out of Ruidoso nm.

Look at the D Bar J Hat Co. web site under Western Hats/Tycoon.

Yes. Get hold of David Johnson, SASS hatmaker, D Bar J Hats in Las Vegas, NV. He'll know everything you want to know about that hat and has the horsepower to make one to suit you, if you wish to buy one.

(702) 430-9681

dbarjhats@yahoo.com

A hat that won't hold shape is usually a cheap hat body. Whether it holds shape has little to do with who shaped it. If a vendor sells you something that is represented as a good body, but it's not, then yeah, you will not be happy.

Sticking with higher quality Resistol and Stetson bodies will give you good results. I've also been satisfied with good Baileys.

Good luck GJ

We are so fortunate to have a hat maker (Lawdog Hat Co.) right here in Billings Montana that can do anything you can envision AND he has graciously been a bay sponsor for our annual shoot giving away a custom hat valued at $350.00 !! Many of us buy our hats there.....he takes care of us so we do our best to take care of him! His product is quite the equal to anything I have ever seem.

Bugler

Guest Grass Range #51406

Blackey Cole-Your comment says the hat "would hold shape no matter what". I thought that is the way hats should be made

When I was a youngster , that crease style was called a "Denton Pinch" by several hatmakers , Stetson , Resistol , American , Bailey. BUT , that was 45-50 years ago. No telling what they call it now.

Couple more good hat makers for the list are Mike's Hatters and Colorado Mountain Custom Hats.

Rex , whom has 5 hats , no two from same maker , not counting straws. :D

Your right about it being cheap body that was the problem. And tonto rim wouldn't stand behind the product. It wasn't a top quality hat but iirc I paid enough that it should have held a shaping. I had several try to fix it but it just wouldn't take. Si the next time I denny I asked about it and since he was retiring I got tough luck answer and never spent another dime with tonto rim. If I'd got it at a steal I could understand it put paying advertised price I thought he would stand behind it for at least six months the time between EOT and the convention.

Archived