SASS Wire Forum

Proud of my boy

Michigan Slim

My boy, Joseph, had known since he was a tike that he was going to join the military. No question, he felt it was his duty to serve. An inner drive to do so, if you will. He told me he needed more than just a job. It had to be bigger, a service.

He enlisted in the Navy his senior year to go into damage control, and later the intent to try out for a swift boat position.

Well, just 9 days after getting the motorbike he had been hounding me for permission to get he was in a head-on collision that destroyed his knee and severed the nerve that raises the foot. Navy recruiter literally said "Go take a @#$!". My son was crushed, to say the least.

What followed for the next several months was not pretty, with surgeries, rehab, and one very lost young man.

Then..... He thought of the Paramedics who have responded to both he and I in our time of need. And set a goal.

He was now going to be one of those fine folks. We met with the department head at the local college together.

Now.... After much schooling, training, and self study, and after applying with many, many organizations I would like to announce that my boy now has TWO jobs as an EMT! One is a paying gig three counties away and the other is with the local volunteers.He now has purpose in life and I swear, he now stands two inches taller. And I do too!

I am so proud of him that I could bust. He set a goal, a plan to achieve it, and jumped right in. He knows that this is just the first step, but it's a dandy!

From my SASS Pards, I make a request. Please keep him in your prayers, as he is seeing a level of humanity that he has never been exposed to. Please pray with me to give him strength of mind, and the Lord to guide his hands in this endeavor.

Thank you much for listening,

Michigan Slim, proud Pa.

Prayers are up and will continue. I was fighting back the tears while reading because I know the kind of pride you feel.

I have felt it with all my kids. One that really stands out was when we drove out to Fort Bragg to see my son return home from Afghanistan.

Standing in the hanger watching them get off that plane and march in to meet us... I was a blubbering idiot. I still am while typing this.

JUST SO SO PROUD !!

Keep the faith my friend!

Thank you all! Yeah, Tree, I may have teared up some. And Badger, just so you know. Momma has enough class for us both so I quit trying! LOL

I don't worry about the future when I hear about kids like that. You, his Mom, and the Lord done good work there, and you're right to be proud of him.

The young man may find some useful tidbits and laughter here:

http://www.ambulancedriverfiles.com/

I was in a motorcycle accident the evening just after I spoke with the Navy recruiter.....was all set to sign papers and go from there. Navy guy said after I told him to contact him when I was better - I did. Told him I have a chunk of 303 demagnetized SS in my ankle and some screws. He said - sorry we can't take you.....my heart dropped.

But...

Life went on....though I am at times I am saddened I could not serve my country I am happy the life the good Lord has lead me into. I do what I try to support our troops and veterans though - behind the scenes kind of service I guess.

Good for your boy :) God bless him and ya'll.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I don't worry about the future when I hear about kids like that. You, his Mom, and the Lord done good work there, and you're right to be proud of him.

The young man may find some useful tidbits and laughter here:

http://www.ambulancedriverfiles.com/

Thanks Sparky. Some good reading in there! And guns too! He'll love it.

And again, thanks to all. Tracey and I appreciate the prayers and kind words.

Does he plan on going on to get his EMT/P? I have two very good friends who were firefighters and paramedics. Technically, one still is, but he is also an RN and flight nurse for a life flight organization. The other is a Physician's Assistant. Being a paramedic can be a rewarding career in itself, or act as a stepping stone to other careers.

I wish him luck in his endeavors, and I will keep him in my thoughts and meditations.

Yes, Sir he does. Getting his feet wet on the Boo Boo Bus now. He would very much like to be part of a flight crew one day. I do believe he has found his calling. He just got home a bit ago and aint stopped jabberin' yet. I might have to go to school to understand him!

Yes, Sir he does. Getting his feet wet on the Boo Boo Bus now. He would very much like to be part of a flight crew one day. I do believe he has found his calling. He just got home a bit ago and aint stopped jabberin' yet. I might have to go to school to understand him!

Just listen and nod a lot. Then look it up on the internet.

You have every right to be proud. Your son did well. Congrats to you both.

I'm a retired volunteer and paid firefighter/paramedic. You will see some of the best and some of the worst of humanity on earth. It will be a tough road. Bless him for wanting to do it.

Ooops! Now we embarrased the boy. Turned all pink he did! His momma had him read this. :)

Well, that's part of the parents' job too! That's why we keep their baby and grade school pictures around.

Archived