SASS Wire Forum

What are Botas and Braces?

Aunt Jen

Braces are suspenders.

Botas are leather coverings from the just below the knee to the boots.

Link: http://www.wrtcleather.com/Botas/slides/Botas_001-1.html

--Dawg

Oh, okay. Thanks.

I've been collecting things for my Classic Cowgirl. I can use some things (see below) such as a knife, pocket watch and garters, but the rest is from the ladies'. I just didn't know what botas or braces were, but they won't work for this costume.

• Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items
must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.
• Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest,
pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no
straw or palm hats allowed.

• In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to
compete within this category:
• Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed),
period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag),
period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.

Thanks

Aunt Jen

Where do you shoot, Aunt Jen? I would love to see your costume when it's complete. Classic Cowboy is calling my name as well.

Not to hijack the thread completely, but how long is a full length chain for the pocket watch? I always wear a pocket watch anyway, but I have never seen the "full length chain" dimensions described anywhere. Thanks.

Not to hijack the thread completely, but how long is a full length chain for the pocket watch? I always wear a pocket watch anyway, but I have never seen the "full length chain" dimensions described anywhere. Thanks.

The rules don't define it by length, leaving it to the "ever diminishing amount of common sense during the winter months within SASS." :o

If you examine some photos of Victorian men's apparel, you will see lots of examples of acceptable pocket watch chains.

Generally, if the chain is long enough to drape from a center button over to a vest pocket, it's long enough. If the chain is a couple of inches long, and just has a fob at the end that hangs down from a pocket, it's not sufficient. A "double-Albert" chain would be more than needed, but fine.

Good luck, GJ

Where do you shoot, Aunt Jen? I would love to see your costume when it's complete. Classic Cowboy is calling my name as well.

Hole in the Wall, Piru, CA. My costuming hs been pretty close to CC, but I had to modify it some. Now it is very CC. I'm adding a few more things than necessary to make sure I qualify. But it will not knock anyone's socks off. It's "diminutive," CC but not flashy. She's a frontier gal who has to make do. Things are hobbled together, things one might think didn't start out as hers, as if she's wearing handmedowns and things she cobbled together from parts, like the multi-part gun belt. (However, where it counts, it's superb, such as the Holy Terror holsters...) I'm using my stomped, shot-up felt hat. My knife wouldn't fit on my belt, so I tied it on there with leather. My belts are crudely cut, 2 of them, hanging at angles (though secure). Undie-unmentionables. An apron with pockets, and a pocket watch in one of the pockets, with 14" (full) chain, garters on my arms that say Dodge City and Long Branch Saloon on them (as that's where I'm from back when, or thereabouts, as it was a farm south of there in the country). My grandmother's cameo (for jewelry and to honor her). Maybe a scarf around my neck, though I don't need it to qualify..... but if you just glanced at me, your gaze wouldn't likely linger as I'm meant to be likeunto an "extra" in the background, not the star of the show.

The rules don't define it by length, leaving it to the "ever diminishing amount of common sense during the winter months within SASS." :o

If you examine some photos of Victorian men's apparel, you will see lots of examples of acceptable pocket watch chains.

Generally, if the chain is long enough to drape from a center button over to a vest pocket, it's long enough. If the chain is a couple of inches long, and just has a fob at the end that hangs down from a pocket, it's not sufficient. A "double-Albert" chain would be more than needed, but fine.

Good luck, GJ

Most of the chains I see on watches seem to be about 14", but I don't really know what's required. I'm guessing it's something like that, though. I can't claim to know.

Braces are suspenders.

Botas are leather coverings from the just below the knee to the boots.

Link: http://www.wrtcleather.com/Botas/slides/Botas_001-1.html

--Dawg

Hey pard, would you be kind enough to post the link for instructions on making a pair of Botas?

"... period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag),..."

whats a snood ?

A snood is like a hair net that is warn on the head and hangs down to the back of the neck with all your lovely long hair tucked inside.

Archived