SASS Wire Forum

horn grips?

evil dogooder

I'm getting a pair of back up guns and i want to set them up with a dense slip resistant grip that isn't checkered.

How are horn grips? Any difference between ram, and buffalo other than coloration?

Thank you

I have a couple of sets of Ruger Bisleys with elk antler grips made by Grashorn Grips. He will make them as thick or as thin as you want and he will also make them with more or less bark on them. They are very attractive and they are definitely non slip.

I have a couple of sets of Ruger Bisleys with elk antler grips made by Grashorn Grips. He will make them as thick or as thin as you want and he will also make them with more or less bark on them. They are very attractive and they are definitely non slip.

^^^ this -- Patric Grashorn is the master with horn grips.

Buffalo horn varies from black to very dark grey sometimes with swirls of silver in it.

I have seen some buffalo horn that was off white colored but only once, I gather that is very hard to find.

Unless checkered, buffalo horn is very smooth.

Rams horn is tan, brown and white. When polished up it has a pearlescent look to it, very shiny.

If the bark is left on it you would get more slip resistance.

Real stag and elk stag can be polished up to be very smooth but if left with lots of bark can be almost as good checkering.

Check out this place http://www.stag-grips.com they made my elk stag and I had them email me pics of the grips before I agreed to purchase them.

I asked for lots of bark and that is exactly what I received.

I have Buffalo horn grips. Yes they are smooth, but because they are a natural material as your hands get sweaty (to a point) they get tackier. Almost like you were putting rosin on your hands.

I like mine very much. They were gotten from Eagle grips.

I haven't posted lately (or for quite a while)but here's a few comments and (hopefulkly) some pictures.

Comments:

1. Several ++++++++ regarding Executioner, I probably have a dozen pairs or more, including at least two matching pairs. My SASS guns have real ivory and my wife's have elkhorn from Patrick. Run about $200.

2. I have several sets of buffalo horn on both guns and on knives. Does not seem slippery at sall. Rub about $40-$60 on E-bay)

3. There is a variety called "honey horn" which is (I believe) a trype of buffalo horn. Very golden in color, like, well.....honey. I have seen knife handles but never pistol grips.

4. There is cow horn. Seen very few grips. Lightest in color.

5. Patrick does make a (VERY) few big horn sheep grips. I had to wait a year (almost exactly) for my second set. (Run arouynd $250)

Here's a few pics.

1. OM 45 Blackhawk and a Randall 23 (hunting rig in bear country):

023_zpsc79a1a4b.jpg

2. OM Blackhawk in 41 mag with Bark River knife (both in Bighorn Sheep):

DSC03652_zps027b55b9.jpg

3.My SASS rig==real ivory from Boone Trading Co.

DSC03644_zps9da1b78e.jpg

4. My wife's SASS rig=elkhorn by grashorn:

[/url]

120.jpg

Archived