SASS Wire Forum

Blackhawk Hammers put into N ruger Vaqueros

Aunt Jen

Hello all,

Just a note to people who, like me, perhaps, shoot dualist, double duelist, or gunfighter. I am not petite, yet I found it a bit difficult/uncomfortable to reach for the hammers with my thumb with one hand only, so I bought two Blackhawk hammers from Jim Bowie http://cowboysandindianstore.com/ and put them in.

I watched 2 online videos, YouTube, to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU8E2EC7X68

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgK2aM8EbLM

It took me an hour and twenty minutes, but it was my first time, and it worked so well, that I put my little 1/8 slot screwdriver and the little punch I used in my cart.

The net result is the lower Blackhawk hammer is easier for me to reach and pull.

Thanks Jim.

Aunt Jen

The great improvement that can be made a Vaquero is blackhawk hammers. I've often wondered why Ruger just doesn't build them that way

You must mean Super Blackhawk hammers, right?

Fillmore

The stock hammer on the SASS Vaquero's is the Montado hammer. It's the exact same profile as the Super Blackhawk hammer. Only difference is SBH hammer spur is grooved and the Montado spur is checkered. I actually prefer the grooved SBH hammers, I have them on all my Vaquero's.

The stock hammers on regular New Vaquero's is a little taller than on the original models. But buth are great for the two handed shooters.

Hello all,

Just a note to people who, like me, perhaps, shoot dualist, double duelist, or gunfighter. I am not petite, yet I found it a bit difficult/uncomfortable to reach for the hammers with my thumb with one hand only, so I bought two Blackhawk hammers from Jim Bowie http://cowboysandindianstore.com/ and put them in.

I watched 2 online videos, YouTube, to help:

and

It took me an hour and twenty minutes, but it was my first time, and it worked so well, that I put my little 1/8 slot screwdriver and the little punch I used in my cart.

The net result is the lower Blackhawk hammer is easier for me to reach and pull.

Thanks Jim.

Aunt Jen

You did great! My first pair took just under two hours and a lot of cuss words.

Thank you, guys.

25 years ago, I could barely turn a screw. My husband, Painless, didn't want me to turn out helpless. So he taught me; "You can understand anything, and if you can understand it, you can fix it."

This was my husband:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_F._Ware,_Jr.

Tge technique, he taught me, is to sit in a chair and look at it. Just study, look at it, and let it soak in.

So I watched the videos and slept on it------ It seemed too involved at first. I feared I might have to put a collection of parts, screws, and bits, minus whatever springs I lost, into a bag and take them down to Jim Bowie to put them back together for me.

But after I slept on it, it didn't seem so hard.

You can fo it.

Anything like this that I learn to do is a tribute to the greatest person I've ever known: Joe.

I shoot gunfighter of course. Do they make that big of a difference? It looks like I'll be placing that order soon then.

I would not shoot Duelist or GFer without them. That is unless it is a Bisley. Which is even a little lower.

Howdy,

I have had similar experience. Its not the worst thing to take a box o parts to a gunsmith.

However looking on the web for help with a project can work just fine.

Yoda said there is no try.

I say there is only try.

You be the judge.

Best

CR

The stock hammer on the SASS Vaquero's is the Montado hammer. It's the exact same profile as the Super Blackhawk hammer. Only difference is SBH hammer spur is grooved and the Montado spur is checkered. I actually prefer the grooved SBH hammers, I have them on all my Vaquero's.

The stock hammers on regular New Vaquero's is a little taller than on the original models. But buth are great for the two handed shooters.

I just bought a pair of SASS Vaqueros and am finding the same thing. I am seriously considering changing the Montado hammers out to SBH Hammers.

MTC

How funny this is coming up right now, because last weekend I just swapped out the Bisely hammers on my Biselys for some SBH hammers I got from Doc Fillem. I tried the Bisely hammers for almost a year and found them too thin, and my thumb could not get as good a grip, as when I would try my wifes Super BlackHawks that she shoots. This weekend will be my first weekend trying em out, and they feel so much easier to get a good grip on the hammer with the wider, grooved spur. So far from practicing with em, I LOVE EM!. ymmv.

BD

Yes. I looked at some photos online of the BH and the SBH guns, and from those side photos, the SBH do look like the ones I put in. ANd theyare wide and lower, which I enjoy so much. For one-handed shooting (I will be doing double duelist with them, like I used to years ago), they make it work much better, and more comfortable. It's only, what, 1/4 inch ior so lower for the hammer? I dont know. But whatever the lowered difference is, it's like—well, it's like having adjusted the seat in the car after someone larger was driving. :)

Tks

zblkhwk_zpsbbf68cc4.jpg

zsuper_zps84683809.jpg

Here are some pics from the Ruger catalog. The top photo is a Blackhawk, the bottom photo is a Super Blackhawk.

Fillmore

Isn't that a Blackhawk and a bisely?

Ha Ha :P , you're right. I was so excited I could post an actual pic instead of a link, I screwed up.

Fillmore

Yeah, that's a super blackhawk.

0802.jpg

Although, now that I'm looking at the bisley super blackhawk... I want one.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

FC

I was thinking of doing the same.

I haven't really done any Vaquero work yet, but there is a Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual for Ruger Single Action Revolvers.

If you aren't familiar, Kuhnhausen's shop manuals are about the best gunsmithing guide I have ever seen - I've had them for many years for 1911's, S&W anbd Colt DA revolvers and Remington shotguns. I think I got mine from Brownell's or Midway USA.

Looked at website but couldn/t find any hammers in the parts section. I want to do this to ours as well as a free spin cylinder mod. I really would like to put Colt gripframes on them but haven't found any. That, to me, would be the ultimate. I love the way a Colt fits my hand but I like my Rugers fer' the price difference.

I did the same thing on my SASS NV's and have never looked back. IMHO the SBH hammers have a better feel and grip.

Banjer, Both, I called Ruger directly to order mine.

I just bought a pair of SASS Vaqueros and am finding the same thing. I am seriously considering changing the Montado hammers out to SBH Hammers.

MTC

MT,

I have a brand new set of stainless SBH hammers i'll trade you if you want them.

Roo

Archived