SASS Wire Forum

Short Mule Ears on Shotgun

Aunt Jen

Hi. My new shotgun is a JW-2000 Coach Shotgun, 20", and it looks like it'll do fine for Classic Cowgirl, though I do find the mule ears (hammers) kind of difficult to pull down.

I can do it, no problem, but it requires me to do them one at a time.

I thought that some of you experts may be aware of a technique or even longer ears to put on it? No problem if you don't. I can jut cock them one at a time, but since I'm eager to go, and since I have nearly 3 weeks....I thought I'd ask. :)

Thank you

Some hammer guns have longer ears than others. That's why both of mine are Husqvarna's. I had a couple of Crescents but sold them due to the short ears. TTN's have longer ears also. Don't know of any easy way to make them longer.

I have only shoot hammered doubles since getting in to cas...1992.

Well, I shot one match with a 97 on a bet once.

Let's see if I can explain what I do.

What I don't do is try to cock both hammers with one hand.

After shooting first two rounds, I open and shuck the hulls straight in to my shoulder. Basically bring the barrels straight back and then pushing forward.

Once I see the hulls clear the chambers, I remove my weak hand and go to the belt for the next two rounds while letting the weight of the barrels fall down to just above my belt.

At this point I insert the two rounds.

I then slide my weak hand forward closing the gun as I go.

Once closed I slide my weak hand back and cock the weak side hammer and at the same time cock the strong side hammer with my strong side hand.

Once the gun is cocked the stock goes to my shoulder as I slide my weak hand up, forward and towards the next target.

When I see the barrels line upon the target pull the trigger and on to next target.

Repeat as needed.

Go to this link and watch the 3 videos on external hammer shotguns, 1 cocks each hammer individually the other 2 cock with their week hand. You have to watch close because all 3 shoot 4 shots in under 4 seconds.

http://www.jspublications.net/records/records.html

Randy

Aunt Jen look up T-Bone at WR and see if he has time to work with you. Back several years ago when sass was pushing the sass u he, ring go, and cowhand iirc held classes on shooting the mule ear shotguns that were great. You might try to contact him now ahead of time and might be able to work with you before WR if he has time. He is very good with a mule ear SxS.

The length is not the problem. It's the width that the hammers are apart. When Walt Johnson had the TTN guns made by JCM, PRC he specified the hammer location so that the gun would be able to cock with one hand. Most of the old European guns and early American guns had the hammers wide apart and impossible for a normal sized man to cock fast. That is why T-Bone and others including myself like and use the TTN shotguns. The placement of the hammers allows one to cock both hammers with the thumb of your strong side. Place any other hammer SXS next to a TTN and you will see it right away.

They do have a very fast way to do this as people like T-Bone and others have shown but the gun itself is doing a lot to help make that speed, just like the pards who use the single trigger Brownings and SKB's. Take care Fairshake

Go to this link and watch the 3 videos on external hammer shotguns, 1 cocks each hammer individually the other 2 cock with their week hand. You have to watch close because all 3 shoot 4 shots in under 4 seconds.

http://www.jspublications.net/records/records.html

Randy

OMG, Randy! I looked at those 3 videos, and--- They're so fast, I had to look at 'em again, just to see what they were doing. 2 of them did as I'd heard my gun dealer (Irish Red at Ft. Courage) tell me once: cock them with left hand before open after first 2; and 1 of them cocked them 1 at a time, but SIMULTANEOUSLY with his right hand as he reached for new shells with his left hand.

I think I would have to do like that, cock with one hand, one at a time, while I reach for shells. That will take some practice, as I'm sure it did for him.

Impressive.

Please don't expect me to learn that all at once, though. :)

Howdy Aunt Jen;

For people with smaller hands T-Bones method is great. It takes the "reach" out of it as you are cocking the hammers with the side of your left hand and index finger (for a right handed shooter) and flipping the latch with your thumb.

It takes some time and practice but it'll pay off in the end.

+1 to Fairshake. Excellent point and is why I like the TTN's above all the others I've tried.

I used a Rossi for awhile and as I was shucking the shells out I would cock one hammer then load and cock the other as I was bringing it up to shoot. I them switched to a TTN and problems were over. THEN, i got real smart and went back to a hammerless!!!

Don't fight with your hobby :P:P

Rye

OMG, Randy! I looked at those 3 videos, and--- They're so fast, I had to look at 'em again, just to see what they were doing. 2 of them did as I'd heard my gun dealer (Irish Red at Ft. Courage) tell me once: cock them with left hand before open after first 2; and 1 of them cocked them 1 at a time, but SIMULTANEOUSLY with his right hand as he reached for new shells with his left hand.

I think I would have to do like that, cock with one hand, one at a time, while I reach for shells. That will take some practice, as I'm sure it did for him.

Impressive.

Please don't expect me to learn that all at once, though. :)

Aunt Jen, get some dummy rounds and practice a lot. Before I started Cowboy shooting a guy at an indoor range was telling and showing me about CAS using a Rossi, just as Rye described. I tried it a couple of times and it worked pretty well. I have a TTN and when I use it I cock both hammers at the same time with my right while I'm reaching for shells with my left.

Randy

I used a Rossi for awhile and as I was shucking the shells out I would cock one hammer then load and cock the other as I was bringing it up to shoot. I them switched to a TTN and problems were over. THEN, i got real smart and went back to a hammerless!!!

Rye

I used a Rossi for awhile and as I was shucking the shells out

I would cock one hammer then load and cock the other as I was bringing it up to shoot.

I them switched to a TTN and problems were over. THEN, i got real smart and went back to a hammerless!!!

That's how I did it with a Rossi for my first 8 years...until I literally shot that 12ga to pieces (top & bottom rib separation).

Using a TTN for a SxS these days...primary is an original 1887.

Rye

No. I took another look at my pix of my new JW-2000 Coachgun-----

----because I can't get it for 9 more days. New. Seems that if I had nefarious purpose in mind it's assumed I couldn't use my Stoeger---

---so I looked at the photos again, and I have to say it is attractive.

Classic Cowgirl is about costuming, and my blazing speed ( uh-HUM ) is not a problem with it. The hammers are long enough to single hand, but I can't seem to do it, even though k am NOT petite---

---which is TOTALLY alright.

Remember how I described my hat and rig in the L49 vs Classic Cowgirl thread? It's about a frontier gal who makes things work. A dress tears, you mend it. Gun powder is dirty, so wear an apron. The hat has been stomped by a horse? It still keeps the sun off. My rig is pieced together? Make do. (Though you're not getting my Holy Terror holsters off me, nor my slicked .45s, neither.).

This is an attractive shotgun, and I kinda like the feeling that it doesn't fit me totally because it (pretend) was my husband's. Or an uncle's. Or I found it on a drunk out back of the saloon---

(What do I keep doing out back of that durn saloon?)

How about lightening the hammer springs to make it easier to draw back both hammers with edge of hand (assuming the ears are tall enough to be able to catch both with the edge of your hand in one sweep)? I have a Liberty (Turkish) s/s and have lightened the hammer springs significantly to be able to do this. I also had to lighten firing pin springs to compensate for lighter hammer fall. RR

Short Mule Eared hammers on a JW-2000 do not have to stay short. A few years ago, Norinco was sending over a rough Model 99 double.

Decided we could do better, so I hand made a set of tall "safety" hammers to replace the horrible short M-99 hammers.

I then sent those hammers to IAC who sent them to the Shandnog #2 plant in linya, China to be investment cast and installed on all production M-99's from 2002 to present day Big5 store guns.

Ironically, the JW2000 is actually pretty darn good shotgun, but they suffer from all those left over short hammers from the M-99 put on the JW-2000.

OK, fast forward to my third trip to China and decided to ship back a whole bunch of the new taller "safety" hammers so I could upgrade those older Norinco and JW-2000 shotguns .

That is your answer !!

You need to pull the side plates off nth side and take apart the whole system n order to try he hammers off. They are square based and press fit

I can send Johnny Meadows and Goat Neck Clem some sets with instructions and they can install them for you.

The reason is because this job is not for the novice or faint of heart !

I shoot a Huglu earmule (it'the basis of the Wyatt Earp from Pedersoli) and a Baikal hammerless.

Both have been " job actionned " by myself (i enjoy a lot gunsmithing) & are very smooth.

I'm not really faster with the Baikal...(5 1/2 to 6'' with each gun) than I am with the Uglu

With the Huglu I shot the first two rounds, I keep the gun shouldered and then while opening the gun I cock the left hammer with my weak hand, then in the same movement my left hand keeps going to my belt and grab two shells, at the same time I shake the gun to get the shells out with my right hand, gun back to shoulder I load the new shells, and while closing the gun with my left hand, I cock the right hammer with my right hand and...shoot, and...miss (too often...!!!)

God, it's more difficult to explain it than doing it...with my "pigeon english"!

Hope it could be of some help.

Good training...

Jef

• 3 weeks later...

Archived