SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Gun Storage

Aunt Jen

Hello,

I have been perusing the Winter Range site, and I think I'm on top of most things I'd need.

I'm wondering, though, if there will be a gun storage facility at WR, such that guns needn't be taken back to (and into) a motel every evening?

I'm imagining myself strolling through the motel lobby in costume with my gun cart full of guns...

What do people do with their guns in Arizona for overnight storage?

Thank you

Aunt Jen

They sleep next to them.

Hello,

I have been perusing the Winter Range site, and I think I'm on top of most things I'd need.

I'm wondering, though, if there will be a gun storage facility at WR, such that guns needn't be taken back to (and into) a motel every evening?

I'm imagining myself strolling through the motel lobby in costume with my gun cart full of guns...

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Golf bag hides them...Other wise everyone knows and don't care...For the most part...Like the other guy said...Sleep with them and keep them warm and ready for use...Unless you have a room mate...

TL

We use a hard sided golf bag carrier with the wheels on the bottom. They usually have latches down the side with cheap locks which also meets California's reqs for guns being in a locked case.

You can roll it right through the lobby without even a look.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Golf-Guard-DLX-Black/dp/B001D239QQ/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1423246106&sr=8-20&keywords=golf+bag+case

Just be careful how many guns you put in it. It can get very heavy.

Don't leave them in your vehicle too many have had their vehicles broken in to at past WR events because the less than savory residents especially if you have pro second Admendment decals or other firearm related decals. I ve alsways camped on Ben Avery so wasn't that worried to bring them in from the truck unless they needed to clean. But when I do stay in a motel elsewhere at an event I carry them in at night and out in the morning. I make sure to run all my errorns before retiring to the motel. The gun carts are a give away plus our dress.

Where I stay there are typically lots of cowboys, and the hotel staff knows why we are there and don't bat an eye at folks coming in in costume with guns. I have a soft case like THIS that holds all four guns and I wheel that in on a small folding dolly just to save my back.

I stayed at a nearby Extended Stay Motel. I took my firearms from my vehicle to my room using a luggage cart and my gun cart entering through the closest entrance - lobby or back door. The motel was full of SASS members doing the same so the motel staff knew what I was doing. As a black powder shooter I needed to clean my firearms nightly in preparation for the following day's competition. I prepared food in my room's kitchen and stayed with my firearms providing security. This all worked well and was pretty easy. One thing I like about Extended Stay is that there is not maid service and maids don't enter your room and view your guns.

If you're using just one case, I suggest a hand truck, too. Learned that one the hard way at the Langhorne Zombie Shoot 2010.

If you know anyone who is staying there in an RV, that's another option for gun storage overnight.

Well, I'm from California, so I drive a Prius, a car I think most identify with the 2nd Ammendnent, so I should be careful----kind of like Jeff Dunham's, but white.

But I know Sylvester Stallone, so I think I can get him to--- No, wait. I don't actually know him. But I know the Fonz, so I can--- No, wait. I don't know him, either. But I have a leather jacket somewhere, so thieves won't bother me--- No, no. Come to think of it, I'll forget and leave that home in a closet---not even sure which closet.

So----YES, I think I should use a case and bring 'em in from the car.

So I'll go down to the gun store--- No. They don't have one. So I'll order a case from Amazon---

Anyone know where my credit card is?

WALTER!!! WHERE ARE YOU??

Now where did Dunham put him?

That's a friggin' riot. I just spent 3 weeks in Cali w/as many as 8 guns in my rig. Nervous? Moi?

To the OP: This is a serious problem at all shoots. There must be some 'controlling legal authority' that precludes an armory facility of some kind (fitted conex/trailer/ room) w/ a claim ticket system. It sure would be nice.

Where I stay there are typically lots of cowboys, and the hotel staff knows why we are there and don't bat an eye at folks coming in in costume with guns. I have a soft case like THIS that holds all four guns and I wheel that in on a small folding dolly just to save my back.

+1

Aunt Jen,

Of course you know this, but off the safety of the range, don't ever leave any of your weapons in your vehicle.

If you leave them in your hotel, put the Do Not Disturb hanger on the door when you go out and keep your firearms cases locked.

I take a cable bicycle lock and thread it thru the cross brace of the bed where possible or over the coat rack. Then run it thru the handle of my hard case and lock it. Thieves are generally in a hurry and at least it requires some tools and/or determination rather than a grab and run.

Guns are absolutely NOT safe in any kind of vehicle in any way unless you have an engine 'kill' switch installed. A car thief would just get a welcome bonus.

Well, I'm from California, so I drive a Prius, a car I think most identify with the 2nd Ammendnent, so I should be careful----kind of like Jeff Dunham's, but white.

But I know Sylvester Stallone, so I think I can get him to--- No, wait. I don't actually know him. But I know the Fonz, so I can--- No, wait. I don't know him, either. But I have a leather jacket somewhere, so thieves won't bother me--- No, no. Come to think of it, I'll forget and leave that home in a closet---not even sure which closet.

So----YES, I think I should use a case and bring 'em in from the car.

So I'll go down to the gun store--- No. They don't have one. So I'll order a case from Amazon---

Anyone know where my credit card is?

WALTER!!! WHERE ARE YOU??

Now where did Dunham put him?

Here is what my wife :wub: and I have used for almost 10 years, for our SASS guns.

Has rollers and locks.

http://www.americase.com/catalog/rifle-cases/AT-FULLHOUSE.aspx

Pricey-But worth every dime--

OLG

Here is what my wife :wub: and I have used for almost 10 years, for our SASS guns.

Has rollers and locks.

http://www.americase.com/catalog/rifle-cases/AT-FULLHOUSE.aspx

Pricey-But worth every dime--

OLG

Too bad it only fits short rifles :(

depends on what or where but I have handcuffed 2 or more bags together or attached to a bedframe like brother king mentioned. nothing is 100%. the Russians tired of afghans stealing their rifles secured them to their ankles, found out afghans did not respect ankles either. ps lot Russian reference is correct ,memory gets cloudy sometimes Best of luck GW

During the match, when not shooting (is viewing vendor services, lunch, etc.), several folks leave their gun carts with guns in them in Chris's cart rental and black powder gun cleaning station. They must be removed after shooting for each day, ie not left over night. This way at least they are behind a chain link fence. I think there is a small fee for this service.

"Where I stay there are typically lots of cowboys, and the hotel staff knows why we are there and don't bat an eye at folks coming in in costume with guns. I have a soft case like THIS that holds all four guns and I wheel that in on a small folding dolly just to save my back."

or $16 cheaper here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-VISM-CVDC2946B-36-Double-Carbine-Padded-Rifle-Gun-Case-Backpack-Black-/190890031398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c71eeb926

During the match, when not shooting (is viewing vendor services, lunch, etc.), several folks leave their gun carts with guns in them in Chris's cart rental and black powder gun cleaning station. They must be removed after shooting for each day, ie not left over night. This way at least they are behind a chain link fence. I think there is a small fee for this service.

Correct. There is cart rental and day time storage. No overnight storage.

Correct. There is cart rental and day time storage. No overnight storage.

There is no overnight firearm storage but you can store you gun carts there overnight. I do that every time I attend WR.

I stayed at a nearby Extended Stay Motel. I took my firearms from my vehicle to my room using a luggage cart and my gun cart entering through the closest entrance - lobby or back door. The motel was full of SASS members doing the same so the motel staff knew what I was doing. As a black powder shooter I needed to clean my firearms nightly in preparation for the following day's competition. I prepared food in my room's kitchen and stayed with my firearms providing security. This all worked well and was pretty easy. One thing I like about Extended Stay is that there is not maid service and maids don't enter your room and view your guns.

Yea we stayed at the Extended Stay one year, and carrying all our guns one day we got into the elevator and a non shooting guy came out and gasped and said ' gee, what are you guys afraid of?' I replied " not a thing" :lol::lol:

lol True.

One of my cutest memories from EOT is, while doing some shopping with Painless, I heard some gal behind me making cutsie noises. I turned around to see a gal charming her grandson in a stroller, and she was packing two six guns.

I feel these shoots are some of the safest places.

Tks for the day cart rental place, Chris'. And following some good input, I bought a bag, and I'll be fine.

Tks all.

I bought my hard golf case by SKB off Craig's list with two keys and wheel for $50 cash. I've seen several sell for that amount. I bought it for duel purposes first was to store and transport grip and light modifiers and stands that I use in photography and second to hide my firearms from spying tees but if you are seen in cowboy gear pulling these items you're not fooling anyone but yourselves. They read these gun boards to learn where to hit. So the best thing is stay on site in a Rv that way you may not be targeted. Or go as a group and have your own security. Motel cops are there to protect the motel not you. I travel with my dog and if I leave the room the dog is in there the TV is on and the do not disturb sign goes out the second I walk in the room and stays out until the staff chances it after I checkout. My dog is a 75# pit bull. I've also have contplated setting up a go pro camera in the room for the times I'm not. Like a nanny cam. I've gotten where I don't trust many. Now fellow sass people get some trust until the do something to lose it military and former the same.

Archived