SASS Wire Forum

What is "Drop Rig"?

Aunt Jen

Oh! I was so eloquent, even humorous, talking about how my character must have found bits of her rig on the prairie or something. It has Holy Terror holsters from Mernicle, but I pieced the belts together from old belts because...

...Out on the frontier, if a farmer's wife were making do—can't run to the mall and buy things—she would use whatever was available to make things work, hence the bolts that hold pieces together and the mis-matched leather...

I included 3 pictures to share, but then I learned it won't let me do that here. I see the My Media tab above, but when I click on it, it doesn't have an option to upload the pictures. I can search them, but not upload them.

So............. If you want to see pictures, how do I upload them?

:)

Yeah, having same problem - some online photo storage places do not seem to work Grizzly....tried using the URL for a pic on Flickr and SASS wire puked on it. I may try using photo bucket next since that seems to work for most folks.

If you're using an online photo storage such as photobucket or flickr, then use the "image" icon on the second row of 'tabs'... the square box just about in the middle of that row. For photobucket, use the "Direct" link vs "html" or "IMG" and it just drops in a copy of your picture vs. a link to your picture.

DSCN0723.jpg

Like so!

So when Griz posts my photos, my hat/rig may seem grungy, but my character is like a frontier gal...

If you're out on the range, working a farm, or working it with your family, you need things to help you make life work. When your hat gets lost or destroyed, you pick up one of Uncle Ned's old hats and wear it, thankful you have something that works. When it's hot, you burn some holes in it, to ventilate. When the wind blows, you fix a strap to it, so you can tie it on your head...

The rig? This character never had a rig of her own, but over time, she pieced one together from bits she found here and there. You may note the functional bolts that hold the belt together. They were in the shop by the barn. (In reality, the guns are NRV, graced by Jim Bowie, and the holsters are Holy Terrors, from Mernickle, Imagine Aunt Jen found them out on the prairie? She didn't. She used to be a saloon girl before she was a farmer, and... No, kidding myself. Really, someone in the 21st century had a credit card and time-warped them back.) :)

I hold this same philosophy for everything else in the costume. Critical things are good; as much slides as can, so the character looks functional, but not like the cattle baron's wife. "One who works things out" is the motif, which can only be known if things wouldn't otherwise work out. A survivor, one who could mend the fence, get her rustled cattle back, cook, sew, survive the winter, and come out okay.

Well: I'm not going to impress anyone at SASS with my blazing speed, so... I have been known to surprise a few caterpillars in my day, and don't get me started on snails, but speed does not seem to be my forte. It may be that costuming could be fun, too.

Aunt Jen

A drop rig, i get it. I was thinking something with an oversized belt that would try to drop with every step! Do not beat yourself up to badly trying to explain reasoning for each costume item, the inclusion of a buscadero belt makes it a Hollywood storyline anyway. There are actually a few of us out here who seem to prefer rigs and clothing that look uhhh, well used! When I think persona, it is most often Comanchero and they would likely have been as low down on the dress code as it got! I tend to think that almost any 'old west' photos would include lots of well worn clothing while the dandys tend to have been mostly using photography studio props.

A dropped rig is one that uses a straight belt, But the loop fitting over the belt is lengthen to drop the holster lower.

On my own rigs I drop the holster 3 inches by adding 6 inches to this loop

Griz! You did it! My pix are here.

Whooda thot?

:). Tks Griz

GRIPS

I don't remember the name of the grips. I found them on the Internet quite a while ago. Sorry--------I MEAN, I was walking behind th' saloon one night and found 'em in a drunken gambler, sleeping it off.

ON MY RIG/HAT

I think I've learned, already, that these are CC legal, but why not weigh in???

Tks, Griz

That is a lovely rig! But IMHO it should not be called a 'drop rig' because the revolver's grip is above the belt. I think a true drop rig has the revolver grip below the belt, doesn't it?

Legal for classic cowboy(girl).

I noticed one of the belts has a horizontal cut out, to hang a holster through.

Hanging a holster through that cut out would probably make it a drop rig.

HAHA, and YES, that somebody was me.

But I took the hat off beforrer I shot a .45 through it. Something to do with safety, I believe.

My intent (successful, I think) was to make the hat look more used, worn, and to add a touch of humor.

It's a REAL .45 hole, from y real .45 NRV. The right side one.

I put the hat on the ground and stood back ... BANG, and it was conditioned. :)

(EDIT: I reckon I ought to read the whole post before replyin'. :P

Enjoy the costuming, Aunt Jen! )

I reckon the main question is why are you interested in the question of a "drop rig"?

Griff tried to answer that question with a photo of a buscadero; which is one kind of "drop rig."

Are you going B Western, Aunt Jen?

If so, the drop rig means that the butt of the hogleg is below the line of the holster belt. Is that what you were asking?

Just wonderin'.

PB

So when Griz posts my photos, my hat/rig may seem grungy, but my character is like a frontier gal...

If you're out on the range, working a farm, or working it with your family, you need things to help you make life work. When your hat gets lost or destroyed, you pick up one of Uncle Ned's old hats and wear it, thankful you have something that works. When it's hot, you burn some holes in it, to ventilate. When the wind blows, you fix a strap to it, so you can tie it on your head...

The rig? This character never had a rig of her own, but over time, she pieced one together from bits she found here and there. You may note the functional bolts that hold the belt together. They were in the shop by the barn. (In reality, the guns are NRV, graced by Jim Bowie, and the holsters are Holy Terrors, from Mernickle, Imagine Aunt Jen found them out on the prairie? She didn't. She used to be a saloon girl before she was a farmer, and... No, kidding myself. Really, someone in the 21st century had a credit card and time-warped them back.) :)

I hold this same philosophy for everything else in the costume. Critical things are good; as much slides as can, so the character looks functional, but not like the cattle baron's wife. "One who works things out" is the motif, which can only be known if things wouldn't otherwise work out. A survivor, one who could mend the fence, get her rustled cattle back, cook, sew, survive the winter, and come out okay.

Well: I'm not going to impress anyone at SASS with my blazing speed, so... I have been known to surprise a few caterpillars in my day, and don't get me started on snails, but speed does not seem to be my forte. It may be that costuming could be fun, too.

Aunt Jen

Use it up,

wear it out,

make it do

or do without.

Kind of a motto in Mom's family since early pioneer days.

We didn't have much so it was a daily reminder.

Look good to me, Jen.

Archived