SASS Wire Forum

Tauras single action

Red Cent

Where can I find a base pin for the Tauras?

If you still have the old one, hang onto it, mic it and see if others will fit if you cannot get one from Taurus. Contact the known suppliers and repair shops (VTI, Cowboy. & Indian, etc.) and see what you can come up with. I'll bet C&I, PISCO Gunsmithing, etc., can help you. Find them on the Web.

Maybe a call to Taurus but because it's been out of production for so long it's a long shot. Numrich is usually the go to place but they don't show anything for the single action. A Colt or Colt clone or possibly a Ruger base pin should work. If you can take some measurements it shouldn't be too hard to find something you can adapt to fit.

I think it's the same as the Beretta Stampede. I had a couple of them but sold them while they were still being made and went to open tops. A Colt base pin might work too. VTI carries parts for the Stampede. Otherwise call Taurus and see if they still have parts or can lead you to where you can find them.

CattlemanNov2014_zps98ec872a.jpg

Pin installed in one of Mary's Cattleman. I installed the Runnin' Irons hammer at the same time.

I looked at the Base Mountain pins (on their website) and they were just what I was looking for. The aggravating two notch Uberti pins are a problem. Mary lost a lot of time and shots on a stage when the base pin got into the "safe" notch. I lost time and shots on one stage when the base pin wasn't in far enough. While there are easy fixes to the Uberti safety pin, you still had a pin hard to get ahold of and some chance of jumping out of the catch.

The cost of the material was minimal. I bought a 3' length of 1/4" hot rolled steel rod at ACE Hardware and 4 brass "thumb" nuts. Total about $10.

I had the tools to drill, turn, thread and polish the rod. It was an afternoon project to make and fit 4 of them.

Once you make one (or 4) you realize that the Belt Mountain pins are priced fair.

Archived