SASS Wire Forum

L49 or Classic Cowgirl?

Aunt Jen

Hmmmmmmmm........

If I switch to .38, a faster round/less recoil, I am stuck in L49...

If I use .45, I can shoot Classic Cowgirl...

Can't choose!

Kevin Costner: Take me away!

Duelist, Gunfighter,

Can shoot .38's in B Western if you got the right stuff.

Wrangler, Cowgirl.

Why would you be stuck in 49er?

Hi Aunt Jen

I switched to Classic Cowgirl a year ago and haven't looked back. There are a great bunch of people shooting in this category that have gone out of their way to help me out, and teach me the tricks of the trade, so to speak. Don't be scared off by using .45s. Experiment with your loads, investigate the cowboy special brass, and I think you'll find you won't have a problem. You can PM me with any questions.

Look forward to meeting you somewhere down the trail!

Serenity

Aunt Jen,

Others have mentioned it, but in addition, Cowboy 45 Special brass has the same internal volume as a 45 ACP. The cartridge works superbly with lighter loads of almost any powder (I like Tightgroup). Couple the C45S case with 160Gr bullets, SWEET. Even sweeter, is to load it with 130Gr .454 round ball crimped at the equator. The accuracy with the round ball is really amazing. Don't give up on Classic Cowgirl. The .45 with C45S cases is a pussycat!!

Coffinmaker

Hi Aunt Jen

I switched to Classic Cowgirl a year ago and haven't looked back. There are a great bunch of people shooting in this category that have gone out of their way to help me out, and teach me the tricks of the trade, so to speak. Don't be scared off by using .45s. Experiment with your loads, investigate the cowboy special brass, and I think you'll find you won't have a problem. You can PM me with any questions.

Look forward to meeting you somewhere down the trail!

Serenity

:) Texas Ghost, CLASSIC COWBOY

Aunt Jen - Keep them both and shoot 45s in Classic Cowgirl when you feel like dressing to the nines and shoot 38s in lady 49er when you want maybe to dress a little less.

Good to see you.

Grizz

How important is it to you to wear a buckle from a major match? From last year's WR: forty L49ers versus three Classic Cowgirls. Who had the best chance of placing?

Cowboys and cowgirls,

Doing some hard thinking, today I ordered a mule-eared SbS, which would allow me to shoot Classic Cowgirl, so I'll give it a try. Tks.

Which one? I'm currently shopping myself.

Do you normally shoot duelist or a traditional type grip? CG has more than a caliber requirement, it has a limitation on the long guns that can be used. Iirc it 1873 and before for sass legal rifles and either a hammered SxS or 1887 shotgun. Then you have a dress requirement.

Hmmmmmmmm........

If I switch to .38, a faster round/less recoil, I am stuck in L49...

If I use .45, I can shoot Classic Cowgirl...

Can't choose!

Kevin Costner: Take me away!

You can also shoot 38-40 (38 WCF) it's a great cartridge and is actually a .40 caliber round. That's what I shoot in Classic Cowboy. Course the brass ain't cheap.

Scout

CLASSIC COWGIRL COSTUMING QUESTIONS:

Hi again.

On the shotgun, I don't know what I ordered. My (trusted) SASS gun dealer ordered it. It's 2 mule ears, double barrel. Coachmen, something. I'll look at it more closely when it comes in.

On clothes, QUESTIONS for CLASSIC COWGIRL. I can't tell what my options are from the Handbook instructions, very well. They say, "...

• In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to

compete within this category:

• Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed),

period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag),

period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape..."

Hat: Can this be my standard, dumpy-wide-brimmed cowgirl hat that I must have found out on the trail somewhere? Grey. Has a bullet hole in it (.45)? Or must it be a Victorian hat?

Dress: Just a plain/print dress from Merchantile, years ago, that looks like I must have modified it one winter in a cold cabin.

Boots: Must I wear this style? http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=7200&type=store The ones I normally wear are like that, but they have the flat heel, and that's the sticky wicket with me. Can I wear lace-ups with the flat heel?

Sunglasses: Is it okay in Classic Cowgirl to wear sunglasses while outdoors, even while shooting? It's an eye-health thing. (My husband had macular degeneration, and I'm told it's important.) If so, what styles are allowed for Classic Cowgirl?

Thank you for your help

Aunt Jen

Do you normally shoot duelist or a traditional type grip? CG has more than a caliber requirement, it has a limitation on the long guns that can be used. Iirc it 1873 and before for sass legal rifles and either a hammered SxS or 1887 shotgun. Then you have a dress requirement.

Thank you.

I used to shoot double dualist all the time, as I'm a little bit ambidextrous. Then I shot (two-hand) traditional for a long time. Now, either.

CG requires duelist or Double Duelist, and I'll just shoot Double Duelist.

WHAT I'm WORRIED about is that I'll do all this, pay to enter WINTER RANGE, hotel, get there, and get dinged on some aspect of clothing or guns, and be told I'm disqualified for CG.

If I do get DQ for costuming, I'll offer to purchase whatever is needed there, on site. I'm making a sincere effort, here. Normally, I don't shoot CG, and I want to do well.

:)

Hi again.

On the shotgun, I don't know what I ordered. My (trusted) SASS gun dealer ordered it. It's 2 mule ears, double barrel. Coachmen, something. I'll look at it more closely when it comes in.

On clothes, QUESTIONS for CLASSIC COWGIRL. I can't tell what my options are from the Handbook instructions, very well. They say, "...

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to

compete within this category:

• Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed),

period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag),

period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape..."

Hat: Can this be my standard, dumpy-wide-brimmed cowgirl hat that I must have found out on the trail somewhere? Grey. Has a bullet hole in it (.45)? Or must it be a Victorian hat?

Dress: Just a plain/print dress from Mercantile, years ago, that looks like I must have modified it one winter in a cold cabin.

Boots: Must I wear this style? http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=7200&type=store The ones I normally wear are like that, but they have the flat heel, and that's the sticky wicket with me. Can I wear lace-ups with the flat heel?

Sunglasses: Is it okay in Classic Cowgirl to wear sunglasses while outdoors, even while shooting? It's an eye-health thing. (My husband had macular degeneration, and I'm told it's important.) If so, what styles are allowed for Classic Cowgirl?

Thank you for your help

Aunt Jen

By my interpretation of the rules, and the word "may" being included for women, tells me that a cowgirl, can dress like a cowboy, to meet requirements of the category.

And/Or: You "may" substitute one of the items from the women's list to complete the list of five items required for cowboys. You are not required to.

In a nutshell, count up five items you own, from either list. Wear at least those, and you're legal.

If you read the rules this way, it might be more helpful. Taking it from the top down, the only split between cowboys and cowgirls is the additional items allowed for cowgirls only, to achieve the minimum of five. *Taken from ROII, page 11 and 12.

Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All
clothing items must be worn during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.
Chaps, Western spurs with spur straps, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the
neck or with scarf slide, vest, pocket watch with full-length chain, jacket, sleeve
garters, knife (must be visible; screw knives do NOT qualify), botas, leggings,
braces;

*in my own words* Items that cowgirls can substitute to reach five minimum:

Period (women's) watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw
allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule
(period handbag), period lace-up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather
boa, cape.

No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed. The holster must carry the revolver so at
least part of the grip extends above the top of the belt on which it hangs. This applies
to strong side, as well as cross-draw holsters.

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e.
“NO Lug”) soles. Moccasins are not allowed.
Hats must be worn for the entire match.

I wear a vest, braces, spurs, 18th century rifleman's knife, arm garters, Kentucky string tie /or/ wild rag, and I may or may not wear chaps, depending on my mood and the rest of my clothes. A felt hat blank, and stovepipe boots.

If I had a lady shooting the CC category with me, and wearing the above items, I would have zero issues, and can't imagine anyone else would either. It would seem the ROII concurs.

Any pull on cowboy boot with no visible lugs, viewed from the side, is legal. (as per prior clarification from PWB)

Lace up boots are also allowed.

Welcome to the Classic ranks, Aunt Jen. It's the best category going!

Hi again.

Aunt Jen

Never mind.

Aunt Jen get you gun ready then get you ammo add extra fro war ups side reshoots etc then pick out your clothes each day

I'm gonna tellyouhow I o about it ot to get dinged. Five items I prefer are knife, i stays on gun belt, watch with chain (this got me at EOT this past year). Learned it now stays in vest or pouch on gun belt depending on time of year, garters Dooley Gang ones kept in gun bag, the rest I prep with clothes. For EOT and WR I have three outfits plus. I have three setups for the mail match if needed here I have my scarfe and suspenders planed out. That's the five min items but I'll throw in a vest , jacket if it's the winter. chaps if I feel I want pass out from heat plus my hat.

I'm planning on adding three items this year first will be light weight cowboy cuffs, then a set of chinks for the summer and last some botas for the summer since I'm wearing my lace up diabetics boots. Will be looking fo a couple of light weight vests for the summer that will breathe. Funny thing I had a military vest made out of wool. And it was getting warm so I hard a vest made to look like it but out of polyester. The wool vest breathes the poly doesn't.

I carry a scafe per day two sets of arm garters and two sets of suspenders. That way I have a backup. For award I've a knife I made to drop in my boot tops on my earth walkers if I ever get to wear thenm again. That I can stick in my pant to replace the one on my gun belt.until I get one of the three items made.

Yes, I agree on interp of rules.

I'm thinking I'll go overboard to reeeeeeeally comply, with unmentionables which I won't mention---that's 3 of them---my grandma's cameo, knife, garter on left arm from Dodge City, lace boots, and the rig/hat from my/Griz' post in "L49 vs Classic Cowgirl" thread.

When I look at Tge list again, I may add another one.

WHAT KIND OF KNIFE???

Mine has a belt loop on it, wooden handle, and an inlaid rifle on it, but the blade isn't straight. It's got a knob on it. Good blade. But it goes out, then gets more broad before the tip.

I like it and will use it. But what is it?

Aunt Jen,

Others have mentioned it, but in addition, Cowboy 45 Special brass has the same internal volume as a 45 ACP. The cartridge works superbly with lighter loads of almost any powder (I like Tightgroup). Couple the C45S case with 160Gr bullets, SWEET. Even sweeter, is to load it with 130Gr .454 round ball crimped at the equator. The accuracy with the round ball is really amazing. Don't give up on Classic Cowgirl. The .45 with C45S cases is a pussycat!!

Coffinmaker

+1 Jen....I shoot cowboy specials on occasion and find them to have similar recoil to the 38....I use a 160 grain bullet. Get a few and have a ball....you'll get hooked.

Jan you can load 45s so they recoil less than 38s with tb powder. I use it in my 38-40 and iirc 45s that were not for WBAS. But this year I'm tired of getting to the line with ammo to find out that it's the wrong propellant. It's either bp for cc or smokeless for FCD. So I decide to shoot up these boxes at monthlies and practice sessions. And hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to tell what the load is by the cartridge. No more bp and smokeless in the same cartridge.

It will be as follows

38spc/357mag bp loaded with app for frontiersman

38wcf smokeless loaded with trail boss for classic cowboy

45 colt loaded for WBAS to their specs but can use in duelist cat if needed also cc (not sure of current load)

45 acp loaded for WBAS (same as above)

12ga home loads with app 2f for frontiersman and other bp categories and matches

Buy 12 smokeless

Archived