SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Rules

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

I'm just getting into long range shooting and have a question I can't find in the rules. I'm making a set of shooting sticks and don't see any specs on them. There is one spot in the Shooters Handbook that references the NRA rules, but the way I read it that only applies to scopes. Any body know the real deal. I shot a fairly big match recently and saw a lot of setups that wouldn't work in the NRA guidelines.

I used to shoot Long Range with my Sharp's or Trapdoor before my shoulders went south. I made 2 shooting sticks for that. 1 was short for the sitting position and a taller one for standing up. Made both out of 1 or so inch wooden closet rods with a pivot bolt about a foot from the top holding them together. Used 1 inch wide scrap leather attached to the top of each allowing a cradle for the rifle to rest on. Then I took some good size nails and epoxy'd them into the bottom of each leg to dig into the ground and keep it steady. I could adjust the height of the sticks by moving the legs in or out as needed. You'll have to play with the leather to get the close to what you want for height. I think mine have a droop of about 3-4 inches when the sticks are apart.

At Winter Range i have seen a number of styles that wouldn't meet NRA guidelines, and were used without question. I guess if the individual match director dosen't specify they MUST MEET NRA guide lines they don't have to. (My first set did, second did not)

NRA BP Cartridge Silhouette has rules regarding the use and size of x-sticks that are allowed for sanctioned competitions. Frankly, for SASS "Long Range" matches, each range or match you go to may have slightly different concepts of what constitutes "long range". Even within a club different rules may apply from match to match. I can find no reference to x-sticks in the SASS Shooter's Handbook. While I use my same x-sticks that I used in NRA BPCRS, other folks have some weird contraptions... I actually have 3 sizes, kneeling, sitting and prone. Our club generally has it's long range events as standing, offhand shoots... (again, depending on who has set up the side match).

All of which is a long winded way of saying that SASS Side Matches is a lot like Momma Gump's "box of chocolates!"

X-Sticks.jpg

Red oak with stainless stakes and hardware (prone sized).

The only SASS rules are definitions of rifles/Calibers and powder. Each range sets their own rules beyond that.

IN other words, you don't have any rules on shooting sticks. But I would make a pair using the criteria for BPCR. That way if you do ever shoot it your ready.

J

I did not see any rules for shooting sticks in SASS long range events. I just used 2 three foot sections of 5/8 dowel rod, drilled a pivot bolt about 7 inches from one end, on the other end drilled out both sides for a 1/4 inch sharpened bolt, glued that in, then covered with leather the part where the rifle barrel will rest...they work great. I don't like the sticks that have the leather cradle...to much movement. Good Luck

Here is what the NRA rulebook for Black Powder Target Rifles says concerning crossed sticks:

“Crossed Sticks: Crossed sticks constructed of two wooden legs, no greater than 1 inch by 2 inches in thickness and width or 1 1/2” in diameter, and bolted or tied so that the two legs are hinged and capable of pivoting. The end of the legs may be equipped with spikes no more than 3 inches in length and no wider than the edge of the crossed stick.

They may be inserted into the ground by hand pressure only to aid in retention of an upright position. One layer of protective material may be suspended or inserted in the “V” of the crossed sticks to protect the rifle.”

It’s interesting to note, as I pointed out in my article entitled “Interesting Facts About The First Creedmoor Match — 1874” under the “History” tab on this web site, that the use of crossed sticks, or any type of artificial support for the barrel of the rifle, was strictly prohibited in the match that took place between the United States and Ireland in September, 1874.

Although crossed sticks had already been in wide use by Buffalo hunters for many years, they had not yet reached a level of acceptance among the Long Range target shooting community.

• 1 month later...

Archived