SASS Wire Forum

Snipers

Subdeacon Joe

.50 BMC

Let'em have one.

I believe the .338 Lapua is popular these days as well, including the current record shot.

Just read an interestinmg account of a young Canadian who enlisted in the Army during WWI at the age of 15. He said they didn't seem to be concerned when he truthfully told them his age. He was mustered in. His mother contacted his colonel and tried to get him out but he resisted and nothing came of it. He eventually wound up in a reserve unit and was shipped to England. After some training in England, his age came up again and he was sent to what was called a Boys Battalion. In the Commonwealth armies they didn't discharge you if you were underage. You were sent to a Boys Battalion until you turned 19. He spent time drilling, unloading ships and repairing roads and camps until he would be sent into the fight.

The war ended 2 weeks before he turned 19 and they were sent home. He ended up being the last surviving Canadian veteran of WWI. I believe he was 109 when he died.He was living in Seattle by then having emigrated to the US in the 20's.

I believe the .338 Lapua is popular these days as well, including the current record shot.

Yep.. an English soldier has the longest kill shot at 2475 M with a .338 Lupua and a Canadian has the second longest at 2430 M with a .50 BMG….kind of the Ma Bell of long range shooting

I'd like to know as well. The initial tests on it were phenomenal.

Wonder what kind of windage you would need for a mile and a half?.

I would not have to worry, because I couldn't SEE that far. At least not

in detail. And a scope of good quality would help, but not solve the problem.

Max the scope , and hold appox 3 mils high and about 3.5 mils to the left . assuming the target is moving right to left

that should get ya somewhere close according to math

CB :huh:

this is based on a 50 BMG , that I forgot to add earlier

unknown for a 7.62x51 or a 300 win mag

99% of the "sniper rifles" I saw anyone in uniform carry were 7.62x51 (.308 WIN). Everything from fancy, unrecognizable bolt guns to Remington 700's with synthetic stocks, mostly saw large numbers of semi auto platforms though.

Guys don't like carrying big heavy rifles with heavy ammo when the good old .308 will reach out well beyond the requirement of all but a handful of scenarios.

Are they letting the Canadian Military have guns now? I'm kinda surprised. There was a time back in the 80's when I used to ship gun parts to the RCMP to a shop in North Dakota because they weren't allowed to legally import them. I assume they crossed over and picked them up off duty and out of uniform.

Are they letting the Canadian Military have guns now? I'm kinda surprised. There was a time back in the 80's when I used to ship gun parts to the RCMP to a shop in North Dakota because they weren't allowed to legally import them. I assume they crossed over and picked them up off duty and out of uniform.

The RCMP is not military. Despite the red coats. ;)

Yep.. an English soldier has the longest kill shot at 2475 M with a .338 Lupua and a Canadian has the second longest at 2430 M with a .50 BMG….kind of the Ma Bell of long range shooting

Correction: Ma deuce. Ma bell was a phone company.

The mud brick walls they were shooting through on that show will only occasionally stop 7.62 though.

Not sure if 7.62 still carries lethal velocity after that, but I wouldn't volunteer to find out either.

DUTCH hahhahahaa :lol:

Oh no…I meant Ma Bell. They "Reach out and touch someone"….lol that was their slogan. We used it all the time when talking about our ESU/SWATsnipers. ;)

what do you get when you cross a chicken with a telephone pole??

a 40-foot cock that wants to reach out and touch someone ;)

I think he meant 'Ma Bell' because they once advertised with an invited to 'Reach out and touch someone'.

It was their advertisement slogan for their long distance calling service.

..........Widder

Ma Bell all the way. Reach out and touch someone was the slogan, and we used it in Vietnam.

Also

"When you

care to send only the Very Best"....just sayin'

Jake

Nah, when you want to reach out and touch someone, you call in the artillery! :)

Anyway, all of this reminded me of the following:

Oh no…I meant Ma Bell. They "Reach out and touch someone"….lol that was their slogan. We used it all the time when talking about our ESU/SWATsnipers. ;)

Cyrus may be a bit young to remember Ma Bell. ;)

Now y'all, don't be forgetting Billy Dixon and his borrowed Sharps... :)

"a post-battle survey by a team of US Army surveyors, under the command of Nelson A. Miles, measured the distance of the shot: 1,538 yards, or nine-tenths of a mile.

"For the rest of his life, Billy Dixon never claimed the shot was anything other than a lucky one; his memoirs do not devote even a full paragraph to 'the shot.'"

The lad was modest. ^_^

Now y'all, don't be forgetting Billy Dixon and his borrowed Sharps... :)

"a post-battle survey by a team of US Army surveyors, under the command of Nelson A. Miles, measured the distance of the shot: 1,538 yards, or nine-tenths of a mile.

"For the rest of his life, Billy Dixon never claimed the shot was anything other than a lucky one; his memoirs do not devote even a full paragraph to 'the shot.'"

The lad was modest. ^_^

This has been posted before, many times I would think, but always good for a chuckle.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/303294-3-600-yard-shot-blackpowder-cartridge.html

However, I must admit to being a bit puzzled as to why they wanted to use such new—fangled radar gadgets to test such old guns. Well, when we got there we found out. It seems that one of the forensic scientists wrote an article in their newsletter saying that the Billy Dixon shot at Adobe Walls in 1874 could not possibly have happened. (Remember Billy Dixon knocked an Indian off his horse at a distance later surveyed to be 1,538 yards.)

Anyway, this particular forensic scientist did some calculations and arrived at the conclusion that a .50-90 Sharps (What Billy Dixon said he used could not have a bullet out that far. When I heard what this was all about thought, “That scientist is going to be embarrassed. He must not have fired Sharps Before. We all know they’ll throw a bullet that far.”

This whole assembly was not about just testing Sharps. Many of the scientists brought their own weapons to gather data on ranging from .38 Special handguns to 12 gauge shotguns up to even a 20mm cannon. Finally time rolled around to try the Sharps. They elevated the gun carriage to 35 degrees and touched off a round of Dennis Bardon’s loads using a 675 grain bullet powered by about 90 grains of FFg. All the scientists running the equipment started stuttering and stammering, collectively saying, “It couldn’t be!” They just couldn’t accept that a bullet launched by black powder and starting out at a muzzle velocity of only 1,216 fps landed over 3,600 yards away!

I heard mutters of, “Shoot another one, something must not be working right.” So they turned loose another shot. This time the bullet weighed 650 grains and the muzzle velocity was 1,301 fps. Again the muzzle was elevated to 35 degrees. That bullet landed 3,245 yards downrange. The fellow who wrote the article saying Billy Dixon couldn’t have hit the Indian got real quiet and very red in the face.

From there on it was all fun. We elevated the muzzle to 45 degrees. The bullet again was 650 grains and started at 1,275 fps. It landed at 3,190 yards, but the most amazing thing was that it went up to a few feet shy of 4,000 feet and was in the a full 30 seconds!

One of the scientist there had a laptop computer and he did a bunch of tapping with the data accumulated so far and said, “Elevate the muzzle to 4 1/2 to five degrees and you’ll get a Billy Dixon shot. That was done with the same load and the bullet landed at 1,517 yards. I’d say that scientist was on the ball. Incidentally, five degrees of muzzle elevation can easily be gotten with only the rear barrel sight on a Shiloh Sharps. -

what do you get when you cross a chicken with a telephone pole??

a 40-foot cock that wants to reach out and touch someone ;)

:o

You are naughty!! :blush:

I love it!!! :D

Archived