SASS Wire Forum

Paden

Howdy,

Due to my accident in October my left hand can no longer hold a gun. Therefore, I must learn to cross draw. I would like some pointers from the experienced please.

Thanks,

Paden

your pistol stance should be the same as your long gun stance.... for a righty, the left foot forward, which is perfect for cross draw of a righty..

also, have the holster for the crossdraw just left of the belly button,,,

then always plan to draw the pistol that would benefit the stage the most...

your pistol stance should be the same as your long gun stance.... for a righty, the left foot forward, which is perfect for cross draw of a righty..

also, have the holster for the crossdraw just left of the belly button,,,

then always plan to draw the pistol that would benefit the stage the most...

Ta Daaaaa!! :D So easy a caveman could do it :lol: ...............Just remember to do the same thing at loading and unloading table ;) ....Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Re: Cross Draw:

Would it be legal to just use the left hand to push the bottom of the cross draw holster away from the body so it is in the 170 "happy zone", and do the same when holstering, instead of doing the twist and turn?

B Slim

Not having your cross draw to canted and where you wear it on your body has a lot to do

with it also.

If it is not overly canted. And you wear in more in front of you than on the side.

I think it helps.

Well you'd be sweeping your left hand then too! And depending you'd still be breaking the 170 along the firing line.

You NEVER have to "dance" (that is, move feet). You do HAVE to keep the muzzle in the 170 angle downrange once the muzzle clears the leather, and on return to leather. Pivoting the lower body enough to achieve the 170 angles is faster than dancing.

As AA suggests, your CD holster can be in front of your hip. That may eliminate the need to even twist the hips, depending on your body shape. Keep the holster a 2 fists distance away from center line of your torsothe other holster and on opposite side of centerline, per rules. Then practice, practice, practice. You will see a lot of fast CD shooters reholstering with their weak hand by grasping empty gun over the top of the back of cylinder and completing the reholster as the strong hand then goes for next pistol or a long gun.

And, you will not called if you "sweep yourself" during the draw, like pointing toward your weak hand. Remember that. Just don't start cocking until properly down range. :o

Good luck, GJ

PS, yep, you fellers have picked this nit correctly. See the fixabove.

Re: Cross Draw:

Would it be legal to just use the left hand to push the bottom of the cross draw holster away from the body so it is in the 170 "happy zone", and do the same when holstering, instead of doing the twist and turn?

B Slim

:huh: No dance, just the right stance ;) Dancing, twisting and turning are not required if you keep yerself and yer holster positioned to not break the 170, jest like CC said in the 1st reply, that is all......Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Thanks for the advise. I will not be using my left thumb for cocking. I will not be shooting until OKC's Land Run in April. That will give me plenty of dry fire practice time. I have never been fast just like to hear a clang with every bang.

Paden

you don't have to have the holster a fist's distance away from the center of your body, but you must be able to fit both fists between holsters...so have the straight hang two fists away from the center,

and before you shoot, practice practice practice it all....

You NEVER have to "dance" (that is, move feet). You do HAVE to keep the muzzle in the 170 angle downrange once the muzzle clears the leather, and on return to leather. Pivoting the lower body enough to achieve the 170 angles is faster than dancing.

As AA suggests, your CD holster can be in front of your hip. That may eliminate the need to even twist the hips, depending on your body shape. Keep the holster a fist distance away from center line of your torso, per rules. Then practice, practice, practice. You will see a lot of fast CD shooters reholstering with their weak hand by grasping empty gun over the top of the back of cylinder and completing the reholster as the strong hand then goes for next pistol or a long gun.

And, you will not called if you "sweep yourself" during the draw, like pointing toward your weak hand. Remember that. Just don't start cocking until properly down range. :o

Good luck, GJ

I do not see in the rules where the holster must be a " fist distance away from center line of your torso " . I only see that one holster on each side of the belly button and separated by two fist at the belt . I can see that if you were to wear both holsters very forward the math may work out that way but it isn't the rule .

PS. Let me add that I have seen a few people break the 170 with their left foot forward shooting right handed cross draw because of the twist in their hips and upper body . Like CC said practice and if possible use a video camera off to your side . Good luck . Cross draw gets an unnecessary bad rap .

A fellow shooter, who is a student of psychology, once pointed out that if a cross draw shooter does a little twist of the hips, even if not necessary, it will sometimes be enough to placate even the most anal TO.

Fillmore

You've got some advice here from some of the best in the business. Do what they say and you'll do well!

CS

Archived