SASS Wire Forum

ALIEN GEAR HOLSTER

Chief Rick

This company has an IWB holster based on the Crossbreed but with a neoprene backing instead of leather.

Anybody played around with this particular holster?

What are your thoughts on neoprene as a backing instead of leather?

I have three hybrid IWBs based on the Crossbreed made by a cowboy leather maker and really enjoy them, but I'm looking for another for a G42.

I'm new to CCW. Based on the intrawebz noise and recommendations from my CCW instructor and others I trust, I bought two AG IWB 2.0s. Get them in 3-4 weeks. We'll see - I'll report ASAP. This month's NRA American Rifleman, has a short article on IWB holsters featuring Alien Gear and Crossbreed.

Thanx, CW. Looking forward to the holsters.

For now, I'll be carrying 40 and 9 compacts. Summer... may look longingly at the 42 or Shield or R51 or CCP or...

My hybrids are for the G26/27 line, G21/30, and 1911 pistols. Very comfortable when carried behind the hip, but the weight of the .45 ACPs can still be a little much at times depending on what clothes/belts are worn.

Looking forward to your review of the AG and how durable the neoprene construction is as well as whether it causes excessive sweating. My only experience with neoprene is wetsuits, and it's been a while since I've had one on.

To big and bulky for my tastes.

I'll stick with the Milt Sparks, Summer Special for my 1911 and H&K usp compac .45acp.

http://www.miltsparks.com/SSlarge.htm

OLG

My current holster is a De Santis Cozy Partner, which is similar to the Summer Special but does not have the metal stiffener in the top band.

It is compact, but I find it difficult to draw and reholster smoothly.

The hybrids appear large when looked at in profile but are actually quite thin in section width.

I'm not sure how the holsters are but to me Neoprene would be quite a bit warmer to wear. Unlike leather Neoprene does not breath. Leather, even thick leather would allow sweat to go somewhere, where as Neoprene would tend to hold it in place. Neoprene tends to have more grip than leather so it might hold in place better. However that also means that depending on how it's worn it might crinkle your clothing in an unusual way.

Not a fan of Neoprene. The last Galco leather holster I bought was way too thick so it went in the box of unused holsters. Made my own IWB holster for my S&W Shield ot of .06 Kydex and it is slick, fast and very, very thin. With that holster that gun just disappears under a jacked, or even an untucked shirt.

I'm not sure how the holsters are but to me Neoprene would be quite a bit warmer to wear.

That is my concern as well, and living on the MS Gulf Coast - I don't need to add anything else to keep me warm.

Rick, you can always hide a 45 in your beard....I prefer this (www.n82tactical.com)...I carry my Colt Commander to the bank in it...Irish Pat

Funny man... :P

There is just too much of me in my pants to make an IWB holster comfortable all day.

• 1 month later...

Sassparilla Kid was inspired by this thread and ordered up two of the Alien Gear holsters - one for his Shield and one for his Armscor 206.

He claims the Shield holster is so comfortable that he forgot he was wearing it.

The Armscor version needs some work; they don't make one for that exact revolver, so he bought one for a Colt Detective. Close, but not a good fit; he's planning to heat and re-form the Kydex. Not a fault of the holster at all, of course... but then, he hasn't been able to find anybody else's holster to fit the revolver.

I carry a Ruger LCR in 38 or a Diamondback DB9, both in an Alien Gear with the neoprene backing, it breathes better than the leather. Also it stays where you put it, the leather tends to slide around a little.

They do take some time for delivery . But well worth it. At less than 1/2 the price of Cross Breed Holsters.

YMMV

Crash

Re-holster with the SS is very easy.

Never, should you need two hands to re-holster ;)

OLG

+1 on this.....I carry my g21 inside the pants in a Holster made by reaper tactical...best one I have found yet..doesn't collapse, makes reholstering easy 1 handed. Check out rtfholsters.com or find them on facebook...started by a couple indy pd guys...Bob is a great guy to deal with...

I have this for my full size M&P 9mm. http://stealthgearusa.com/ It does neoprene one better by being ventilated. I love it. I'll let you know how well it works in the humid summertime here.

Wow - that costs more than the Cross Breed.

They do take some time for delivery . But well worth it. At less than 1/2 the price of Cross Breed Holsters.

I e-mailed them last night asking how long to expect delivery to take after placing an order - I've yet to hear back from them...

I'd love to try one out, but I'm not going to pay for a product without knowing how long it's going to take to get it.

Chief, it took the Kid about two weeks to get his...

At that delivery was delayed two days due to a "delivery truck breakdown." That was the shipper, not the manufacturer.

Archived