SASS Wire Forum

Individual shipping to a FFL

Come On Christmas

The past year or so I have received a few shipments from an individual to my FFL.

What are the ins and outs of doing this for I as an individual where I wanting to ship to a FFL.

I live in a suburb of Dallas in Denton county.

Crayfish

As long as the receiving FFL has no problem with accepting shipment from an individual , you are good to go. The receiver will need some kind of ID so they can enter into their log who it came from. The one tricky spot is shipping handguns ; if you should want to use USPS , has to be FFL to FFL. Long guns are O.K.

Good luck , Rex :D

Howdy,

Unless they changed the rules, any long gun can be shipped by post office.

Pistolas, NO.

You just have to fill out a form, takes minutes.

And they MIGHT ask if its going to a ffl you might need that copy of the ffl.

And no ammo.

And no batteries ;)

Best

CR

Yes, you as an individual with NO FFL can ship a long gun by USPS (or most common carriers, although each carrier has their own rules (not laws) that may require expensive over-night or special handling shipping) to MOST locations if the FFL holder that your buyer is working with will accept the gun and do the federal paperwork for transferring the gun to the buyer.

The destination matters! California is a different beast. Massachusetts is a different ogre. Illinois is a different monster. For those states where restrictive guns laws exist, it's probably best to do an FFL to FFL transfer with someone on your end who does this all the time, so you don't end up with merchandise confiscated or even worse problems. The money spent will normally be worth it.

Have your buyer make arrangements with his local FFL, and determine if that FFL is willing to accept the gun from you as an individual. He is not REQUIRED to do so, and if he has been burnt by folks shipping ill-packaged or lacking documentation before, he can refuse to participate for any reason. Include at least a color photocopy of your drivers license or other gov't issued identification when you ship the gun. Do not mark the outside of the package to indicate a firearm is included.

And that's just the beginning. Others will add more info, I'm sure.

Good luck, GJ

I have a Manufacturing 07 FFL. If your FFL dealer will accept from a individual it is legal . You can ship to an FFL Gunsmith without using a Dealer on your end and in turn the gunsmith will return the firearm to you. If its in for repairs. You can ship via USPS any long gun. Only FFL to FFL on Hand Guns. UPS has the same rules. I receive and ship daily by this same procedure

Goatneck

As an individual, you may ship a rifle or a shotgun via US Postal Service. You may not as an individual, ship a handgun via the Postal Service. NEVER tell the postal service what your package contains. It is not a requirement and if you reveal contents it makes your package a target for theft.

HOWEVER, it usually makes sense to have a FFL holder handle your shipping for you. It usually winds up being less expensive for you or very close to what you'd have to pay to ship it yourself, with zero the effort.

FFL's often won't handle incoming shipments from individuals because they are unable to verify that a shipper is not using a stolen ID and that the weapon itself is not stolen. This would put them in the position of being an unwitting link in sale of a stolen firearm.

I ask my FFL every once in a while and I always get the crazed look that says "are you nuts? that's illegal". I know it's not but I don't want to make him uncomfortable as he's pretty set in his ways and I could probably find one who would accept one if I really needed to.

Long guns are legal through USPS. Must be unloaded. (I know, but guns have gone off and one Mail Carrier was shot while delivering a box. Best sent Priority Mail with insurance. I keep an old plastic gun case and wrap it in cardboard. Ask for Priority tape when you get to the Post Office and use a LOT.

You will have to answer "Is it liquid, fragile, perishable, or potentially hazardous" The answer is NO.. No other questions need to be answered unless you tell them it is a gun. In that case, they could ask you to open it and prove it is unloaded and about 80% of the clerks think they know the rules. Usually they're wrong. Every window has a copy of the regulation. Post Offices can not legally deny you mailing a gun. It states that in the rules. The BATF makes the rules.

If you're mailing an expensive gun, you can use Registered Mail. Advantage is insurance and packages are always kept under lock and key and signed for every time they change hands. A little slower because of that but safest. I had guns go through from our favorite Cowboy Actor T** S******. and $25 to $50 thousand dollar antiques. NO plastic tape on Registered. Paper tape only. Every seam has to be date stamped.

Hand guns through an ffl only to ffl or Military or Police, check the regulations.

Again, no paperwork for long guns and don't mention what is in the box. Just answer the basic questions. Also, Try not to put "gun" on the box. Joes gun store can be Joes store. Writing something like "tools" on the box is legal. At least one Airport can pull suspected gun packages aside and send them slower because supposedly some pilts don't want guns on their planes. Postal Service doesn't have any planes. Most Priority travels on Fed Ex planes.

FFL's often won't handle incoming shipments from individuals because they are unable to verify that a shipper is not using a stolen ID and that the weapon itself is not stolen. This would put them in the position of being an unwitting link in sale of a stolen firearm.

Virginia has just instituted a new policy (Virginia State Police Query of Lost or Stolen Firearms) that allows FFL's to access the state/federal data base to check and see if firearms are stolen. It a form SP-315.

MJJ

Virginia has just instituted a new policy (Virginia State Police Query of Lost or Stolen Firearms) that allows FFL's to access the state/federal data base to check and see if firearms are stolen. It a form SP-315.

MJJ

Not trying to argue with you, however the almost-certain response you'd get is something like, "Okay, fine. But, not all firearm thefts are reported, or I don't know how to get into that state's system, or I don't want to give the BATFE any excuse to be crawling up my xxx.

Point is, while some folks out here where I am say that they know a FFL that will accept shipments from individuals, I cannot find one and one FFL I know pretty well flat refuses to do it. He knows me okay, but has no control on the other end, save checking the other FFL's legal existence via the BATFE website..

Archived