SASS Wire Forum

Loadin BP is a pain in the …..

Chicken Scratch

You always here folks complaining about cleaning the guns after shooting BP.

Well after 2 1/2 hours, I now have enough rifle rounds to shoot the Dark Day on the Santa Fe.

​I also have more BP and shot all over my loading area than in my bullits . My 550 is now black. So now I have 2 more hours of work just to clean this mess up.

Is it OK to use a shop vac on BP :o

Whew, thank god I don't shoot BP too often :wacko:

Chicken Scratch

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lwould not use a shop vac. What bp did you use? Real or sub? If sub which one? Most need special care to load and don't play well with plastic. The plastic builds up static and sets off the bp. I use app which doesn't have that problem.

yu nede alot of electricity to set off bp,,, I load with no problems,,, biggest problem is it caking up in the powder measure in the 650.. the more you do it the easier it gets...

but then I am tawking to Chicken Scratch!!

Load it on a separate press or dip the powder and just use the press to make the round.

Put on some music.......Enjoy the process...............Its a labor of love

--Dawg

Load it on a separate press or dip the powder and just use the press to make the round.

--Dawg

+ FFg

No vacuum cleaner for any kind of powder spills! The finest powder can get right through the filter system, and vacuums are notorious for having very "sparky" brushed motors. Read any loading manual and you will find the explicit warning not to vacuum up powder!

Use a bench brush and a dust pan, just like Colt and Winchester men did a hundered and fifty odd years ago!

Good luck, GJ

Use a can of air to blow the powder & shot onto the floor. If the floor is clean (no dirt, if not - clean it first) sweep the shot and powder onto a dust pan from the floor.

Now the trick is to separate the powder & shot that's in the dust pan. I have been known to use the BP in the pan again for a shot shell or two. So now, It's like panning for gold - swirl the powder and shot to separate them as best you can. Tilt the pan so the shot rolls onto a flat container. I use the baking pan that I dry my Alox bullets on.with wax paper on the pan ... so the pan is clean for the shot to fall on.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to separate the powder & shot. OK, now the shot is in the pan - put it back in the bag or into the shot charger on the press. The powder remaining in the dust pan - pour onto a sheet of paper. Bend the paper so there is a small opening and then pour into a container for later use in the shot shell

Been there a few times and got the trick down pat! Welcome to the Dark Side!

Spill? Sweep it up into a little line on the concrete... make sure nothing flammable is around, and strike a match... Poof, mess gone.

'Lectricty and BP... mutually exclusive... but it'll take a whole lotta static to generate enough of a spark to set off BP that isn't powdered. Let's see.. I've loaded BP on my Dillon for nearly 30 years... yep, right thru the plastic powder drop. Not a problem... if you're not the spillin' type with smokeless, you ought not be spillin' BP. Ain't any more difficult to load than smokeless, unless you use a "wad" or fillers.

All I can say is, ya must be doing it wrong. I have been loading BP on my Dillon 550 for 8 years and it just doesn't get any dirtier with BP than smokeless. Not sure where all your shot came from, my 550 doesn't use shot.

I don't load a gazillion rounds of black powder but really don't think I make any more mess than with smokeless.

I load on a 550 by taking the charge link off of powder measure so it doesn't throw a charge. I then take check die out of station 3. I hand dip powder and have a small funnel to charge case through station 3 on up stroke. Takes maybe a second or so longer to load each round but the change from smokeless to black and back is pretty quick and painless.

I load 12 gauge on Lee Loadall pretty much like I would smokeless (although I've never loaded smokeless) except hand dip real black powder. I just run all the hulls through the size and prime stations and rack them in a loading tray. Then hand dip black into all hulls. I have went straight back to press for wad, shot and star crimp. Last loads I did I put a nitro card "crunch" seated on top of powder before continuing. I feel better knowing the powder has a tight seat and I needed the space taken up to get the right height using this wad.

10 gauge, I've been using the "nail and dowel" method and have used the coffee table in living room. I put an old bath towel down on it. I've not had any spills but could just fold up towel and take outside and shake out.

Well after 2 1/2 hours, I now have enough rifle rounds to shoot the Dark Day on the Santa Fe.

​I also have more BP and shot all over my loading area than in my bullits . My 550 is now black. So now I have 2 more hours of work just to clean this mess up.

Chicken Scratch

Pard, I don't know what you're doing wrong, but it's just not that hard. A bit slower, yes, because the powder needs to be manually measured, but I use a brass flask and it only takes about two seconds per round.

--Dawg

+2Fg

+ FFg

+2Fg!

I LIKE that! I'm going to start adding Fg to my plus numbers from now on. In fact, I'm bumping your comment up to a +3Fg! :P

All I can say is, ya must be dong it wrong, i have been loading BP on my Dillon 550 for 8 years and it just doesn't get any dirtier with BP than smokeless. Not sure where all your shot came from, my 550 doesn't use shot.

Yep sumpin ain't right :unsure: , I started loading on a Lee Classic Turret, and now a Hornady LNL AP. The only place I have the Black stuff is inside the case with a boolit on top. ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The loading process is slower not to mention the cost of shooting BP. This is why I decided to go back to…….ahem….yea I know…. SMOKELESS. I go to 4-5 shoots a month plus at least 5-- 3 day shoots. I just couldn't keep up anymore. I still work part time and the time involved loading and cleaning got to me. That said I've never had as much fun shooting as I have with BP but if going smokeless helps me go to shoots easier then I'm in.

DON'T FIGHT WITH YOUR HOBBY

RYE

The loading process is slower not to mention the cost of shooting BP. This is why I decided to go back to…….ahem….yea I know…. SMOKELESS. I go to 4-5 shoots a month plus at least 5-- 3 day shoots. I just couldn't keep up anymore. I still work part time and the time involved loading and cleaning got to me. That said I've never had as much fun shooting as I have with BP but if going smokeless helps me go to shoots easier then I'm in.

DON'T FIGHT WITH YOUR HOBBY

RYE

Rye,

In 12 years of loading BP, I haven't been blown to kingdom come yet. So I will keep loading on my 550, 650, and MEC 9000. Google static and BP, check out the multiple failed attempts to ignite BP with various sources of static electricity and different arrays of black powder. This is what set my mind at ease. If you're still not comfortable with the idea, by all means do what makes you able to sleep. It's not a system for everybody, but seems to work for me and many others. Above all, you said it best with your closing line.

Even at $12/lb and no HAZMAT it is not the cheapest way to shoot this sport by far. Just the most FUN :D

CR

I would NEVER put swept up BP or subs back into use through a powder measure of any kind. Way too much chance for a bit of sand (quartz) to get in the sweepings, then get sheared in contact with a steel part of the measure. A flintlock inside of your powder measure is what you will have. For the 50 cents of powder you might sweep up - toss it on your lawn!

I too don't believe that static causes any problems during loading. But, putting dirty powder through a measure has a big chance of blowing the gig for you.

Good luck, GJ

Chicken Scratch

I load 3F Goex all the time on my 550. Don't have this issue.

Are you loading real BP or that fake stuff?

OLG

I would NEVER put swept up BP or subs back into use through a powder measure of any kind. Way too much chance for a bit of sand (quartz) to get in the sweepings, then get sheared in contact with a steel part of the measure. A flintlock inside of your powder measure is what you will have. For the 50 cents of powder you might sweep up - toss it on your lawn!

I too don't believe that static causes any problems during loading. But, putting dirty powder through a measure has a big chance of blowing the gig for you.

Good luck, GJ

Very good point made. It works well on gardens or as a fun pile of stuff to burn in an open area.

CR

It's threads like this that keeps others from the enjoyment of shooting the original gun powder that was used for hundreds of years.

Rye, I can't believe that you have given up and went to the other side. When I had the occasion to meet you in Lake Charles.La. I had the impression you was the type of guy that would stay in the fight. To each his own but that smile you have been wearing will soon go away.

As far as the OP of this thread stated about his 550 press, you best send that thing back to Dillon as you must have some serious problems with it. If it's not the press, then get yourself an appointment with your doctor, as you may have some sort of problem from all of those tremors that caused you to spill all that powder. Or were you shaking because of all the BS that is printed about how dangerous real BP is to load.

It's just like the BS that was posted about BP causing static electricity with plastic and blowing up. To that member, I say show me the printed Police Report where that took place and injured the loader. I would love to see it or maybe you have the TV news footage as that would make the evening news.

I've loaded BP since 1971 and I've fought this BS the whole time. It's unreal when someone ask about shooting BP and you have posters who have never fired off the first round telling them that they need to use one of the subs. I've never fired a sub and will quit shooting before I do. To me, if you want to shoot in a sport and pretend to be using the real product, why not do something else

BP does not require you to run home and clean your guns before they turn to a heap of rust but the subs do. I shoot on a Saturday and never clean before Monday or Tuesday. How many history books say that the soldiers had to stop fighting because the guns had not been cleaned and were now rusty?

Later Fairshake

Don't get large volumes of any fine flammables airborne. D'ja ever hear of a flour mill explosion? Probably won't happen in your shop, but could play hell with your vacuum cleaner. Besides, you will for sure suck a lot of stuff up in there you'll be looking for later.

Seriously, you must have a dispensing issue going on for the powder to create the huge mess in and around your press, which you've described. Sweep it up with a good size paint brush or similar and toss it.

Chicken Scratch

Chicken Scratch, I agree with you...loading BP sucks.

Spittoon

The plastic builds up static and sets off the bp. I use app which doesn't have that problem.

Hogwash :rolleyes:

Show us a link to just one case of this---

BTW-Real BP is SHIPPED in plastic containers, just like smokeless ;)

OLG

Well this thread hasn't scared me away yet. I'm getting ready to take the black powder journey myself. Does anyone know of a good beginners resource for black powder loading?

The usual -

Capt Baylors guide gets a lot of pards started: http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

You really could have found this yourself with a search of the wire forum!

Good luck, GJ

I use a Lee Loadmaster as my progressive with the Lee Autodisk powder measure. I load BP, 777 and APP. I occasionally load some smokeless for a friend. The only thing I ever have to change is the size of the Autodisk. I do have to clean the bullet seating and crimping dies after loading BP with SPG lubed bullets. Other than that, No fuss, no muss.

The usual -

Capt Baylors guide gets a lot of pards started: http://www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. And all it cost me was the usual GJ smart ass response. I guess you could say I got off easy.

For loading BP, I use a dedicated Dillon Square Deal "B" with an aluminum powder measure and a MEC Sizemaster using a powder baffle that allows me to attach a 1lb BP container right the the press.

This arrangement has worked fine for years and I hardly ever get any BP residue on my loading area.

If I do, I just sweep it up with a small brush and dustpan and sprinkle it on my chicken salad. :)

~:Wylie:~

The usual -

Good luck, GJ

GJ-

A pard comes to us for a little help because there are all kinds of resources on the internet and he wants to sort out the wheat from the chaff. He figures we might tell him which one is reliable. Glad you were able to steer him straight, disappointed to see you expected him to wade through all the BS on the internet when this resource exists.

CR

GJ-

A pard comes to us for a little help because there are all kinds of resources on the internet and he wants to sort out the wheat from the chaff. He figures we might tell him which one is reliable. Glad you were able to steer him straight, disappointed to see you expected him to wade through all the BS on the internet when this resource exists.

CR

CR and BHI

This is probably the most cited document on the SASS Wire responses, right up there with "see the Shooter's Handbook."

We encourage our Wire Forum users to try out and use the search function, upper right corner of this very page, to find answers to simple questions that get asked a lot, like "how do I get started with BP," themselves. It turns out to be faster and easier for them to see a previous thread than for them to wait until the first, or maybe ftfth responder to their SAME question mentions the good Capt. Baylor's reference.

I was not recommending that BHI go sift through the internet's collection of bad ideas about black powder. Just to check the previous twenty or so wire threads that answered the question, or got very close to answering it.

And, no, BHI, I was not being a SA to you. Sorry you took it that way. This is a time-tested approach to helping someone become proficient to the level that they may want to achieve. First you show the person the material they might want to bone up on. Then you encourage them to, next time, be a little more resourceful and find the material themselves in a fairly good location (like searching Wire replies). Then, the next time they have even more questions about the topic, they might have seen some other suggestions from previous posts about where to find even more information.

Otherwise, since we don't have permanently-stickied FAQs here, about once a week we get to cycle through questions about "starting with BP" "cleaning BP" "loading .38 special" "loading 44-40" "selecting between a 73 and a 66 and a Marlin" or "picking right bullet diameter and weight".

You have heard this before, I'm sure. "If you give a hungry man a fish, that's good for today. If you teach him to fish, that's good for the rest of his life."

Good luck and good fishing, GJ

Thanks GJ. I am quite aware of the search function and use it quite regularly. It does not always bring about the best results, however. As a matter of fact, I typed in how do I get started with BP and came up with the following thread title results:

Pictures with BBCode

remembering log-in

Can't log in

I'm not receiving notification

Topic Starter

Mexican Cowboys/Vaqueros

Unwanted new topic notification

First SASS in Poland

New country with SASS?

wierd stuff on the wire

Keeps logging me out

Now it is quite possible that I clicked on something wrong when I did the search. I have a brand new computer with a brand new OS and things look a lot different than they used to. Thanks for teaching me to fish, but unfortunately all I've managed to catch so far are guppies.

Gents & Ladies... I believe Chicken had a couple or more AW Sh**'s loading his centerfires and shot shells - getting out of sink with his rythmn. That's why he had spilages of powder and shot. So let's not git too hasty with his original post because there is NO Reloader that hasn't had an AW SH** and had to clean up the mess using a progressive press!

Gents & Ladies... I believe Chicken had a couple or more AW Sh**'s loading his centerfires and shot shells - getting out of sink with his rythmn. That's why he had spilages of powder and shot. So let's not git too hasty with his original post because there is NO Reloader that hasn't had an AW SH** and had to clean up the mess using a progressive press!

I've never had to clean shot or powder from every little crevice or nick or corner from my loading benches. Never, not once ... well .... maybe there was that ONE time ... but THAT"S IT :P

I believe there are over 100,000 pellets of #8 shot in a one ounce MEC measure ;)

(Bet I could reload for a whole match if I had been able to save all the spilled components over the years) :wacko:

CR

It's threads like this that keeps others from the enjoyment of shooting the original gun powder that was used for hundreds of years.

Rye, I can't believe that you have given up and went to the other side. When I had the occasion to meet you in Lake Charles.La. I had the impression you was the type of guy that would stay in the fight. To each his own but that smile you have been wearing will soon go away.

As far as the OP of this thread stated about his 550 press, you best send that thing back to Dillon as you must have some serious problems with it. If it's not the press, then get yourself an appointment with your doctor, as you may have some sort of problem from all of those tremors that caused you to spill all that powder. Or were you shaking because of all the BS that is printed about how dangerous real BP is to load.

It's just like the BS that was posted about BP causing static electricity with plastic and blowing up. To that member, I say show me the printed Police Report where that took place and injured the loader. I would love to see it or maybe you have the TV news footage as that would make the evening news.

I've loaded BP since 1971 and I've fought this BS the whole time. It's unreal when someone ask about shooting BP and you have posters who have never fired off the first round telling them that they need to use one of the subs. I've never fired a sub and will quit shooting before I do. To me, if you want to shoot in a sport and pretend to be using the real product, why not do something else

BP does not require you to run home and clean your guns before they turn to a heap of rust but the subs do. I shoot on a Saturday and never clean before Monday or Tuesday. How many history books say that the soldiers had to stop fighting because the guns had not been cleaned and were now rusty?

Later Fairshake

Fairshake, I got tired of the loading (I scooped the powder in cases by hand) the extra cost and the cleaning especially during 3 day shoots. I don't begrudge anyone for shooting BP I think it's great loads of fun but why do BP shooters begrudge the smokeless guys? I shot smokeless for 10 years before I got into BP and I'm enjoying the smokeless loads I came up with plus the ease and low cost of loading.

BTW, I was never in Lake Charles,La…we might have met either in So.Carolina, No. Carolina or Kentucky or Tennessee.I can't remember!!???? :wacko:

Rye

Fairshake, I got tired of the loading (I scooped the powder in cases by hand) the extra cost and the cleaning especially during 3 day shoots. I don't begrudge anyone for shooting BP I think it's great loads of fun but why do BP shooters begrudge the smokeless guys? I shot smokeless for 10 years before I got into BP and I'm enjoying the smokeless loads I came up with plus the ease and low cost of loading.

BTW, I was never in Lake Charles,La…we might have met either in So.Carolina, No. Carolina or Kentucky or Tennessee.I can't remember!!???? :wacko:

Rye

Much as we hate to admit it, there is a reason the new fangled powder caught on ;) You're welcome on my posse with or without smoke :D

CR

Does anyone know of a good beginners resource for black powder loading?

Bighipiron, don't believe you'll be reloading the big calibers for BPCR yet, so here are a some sources you might want to read:

Loading Black Powder for Cowboy Action Shooting A Primer ... http://www.jspublications.net/tips/BPLoading.pdf

* http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

* Shot shells, including brass hulls ... http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

Archived