SASS Wire Forum

38 Special Head Stamps

Ace Hanlon

Can someone tell me the maker of 38 Special Brass which have 38SPL SB AA? Asking because the spent primers are difficult to remove (if you can). Thanks

arguing with a shooter, saying I had xx different headstamp 38 cases. he said I was crazy.guess I was wrong.. turns out I had 37 different headstamps. only sb coming to mind is sellior-beliot but do not recall aa good luck GW

even found a box + of federal 38 spec large primer while processing a bucket of range brass last summer. believe they are older than most of us. GW

May be ammo sold to the Government (or a Government) Primers are probably crimped into place.

It will require a primer pocket reamer be used before you reload them.

If they are S & B, throw the pos's away.....you'll be glad you did.

Cypress Sun the brass has SB AA 38 SPL on each piece. Primers will not come out and I have bend two decapping pins (Redding). I figure they are crimped primers but I don't have that many.

Cypress Sun the brass has SB AA 38 SPL on each piece. Primers will not come out and I have bend two decapping pins (Redding). I figure they are crimped primers but I don't have that many.

You sure they ain't Berdan primed?

I have reloaded many SB cases, and never had the issue you are hav'n now.

OLG

I just looked at the multitude that gave me problems. All say S & B and have a 6 or a Q between the L of special and the S & B. Didn't see any other letters. Could be like Lumpy stated, berdan primed.

Good meeting you at the Siege.

CS

Thanks for the information on primers. I have learned some more about reloading. Looking at the brass which are giving me problems I see some are Berdan Primed but some are not. No wonder I'm breaking de-Capping pins! Thanks to all for your help.

I have had real problems with Amerc brass in 45acp....large pistol primers don't really seat well in them...and this is on EVERY piece of Amerc. I sorted out all of it from my 45acp brass....probably have about 100-150 of them.

I got hunbreds of S&B brass mixed up in my stash and never once had a problem reloading them. I checked them under magnafication and they seem to have what looks like a tomato or a circle with a crown on it stamped on the base. Very small! As for A-MERC brass. I crush those in the vice so there never used again by anybody! :angry: Flash holes on A-MERC brass are always off center on every caliber they make causing the decap pin sometims bend or break....

I throw amerc away and thought that the s&b were metric primers and trash them also buy Starline and don't worry or use range brass and take what come. I like better when everything works like it is suppose to.

When I come across Sellier & Bellot brass, I smash it and throw it in the scrap box. It aint worth the headaches.

Send it to me-I really like their boxer primed brass.

They also produce some very fine ammo.

OLG

thunk, thunk, thunk, errrrr..kerthunk! "what the heck was that" Hmmm..made my own flash hole.

I hate Berdan Primed :angry:

Using Hornady Dies if'n you were wonder'n

thunk, thunk, thunk, errrrr..kerthunk! "what the heck was that" Hmmm..made my own flash hole.

I hate Berdan Primed :angry:

Using Hornady Dies if'n you were wonder'n

Thought I heard someone call you a flash hole at the last shoot!

S&B brass loads OK for me. The Amerc wont fit in my Dillon shell plate. I gave it to another shooter who uses it OK. I got some of it back at the loading table later. Now I crush it.

Thought I heard someone call you a flash hole at the last shoot!

S&B brass loads OK for me. The Amerc wont fit in my Dillon shell plate. I gave it to another shooter who uses it OK. I got some of it back at the loading table later. Now I crush it.

ROFL ... Your to funny.

Brass marked "ACP" is also difficult to seat primers into. I'm unable to see evidence that the brass has "crimp tabs" in the primer pockets, but I get pretty consistent primer mis-seats in this ACP brass. It's made by "Arms Corporation of the Phillipines". Toss it.

When you have a problem seating a primer, you can very often predict the headstamp by the feel of the crunch!

Pays to sort brass into batches of known "good" headstamps.

Archived