SASS Wire Forum

Anyone shoot muzzleloaders? Off topic for SASS though...

Johnny Dollar

I just got a new (to me) muzzleloader that I'm really stoked about. Made by Matt Avance @ Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading. One of his Southern Rifles, .36 caliber, 42" barrel and fancy maple stock flintlock.. I know it has a siler lock, but I'm not sure what make the barrel is or the triggers. No matter.... its a keeper for sure. That thing is very accurate! Sorry for the off topic!
I've got several photos attached as I know a thread about a gun isn't worth doodely without them.

DSC_2601_zpsdcbc44ff.jpg..
DSC_2608_zps0b4f71c6.jpg
DSC_2606_zpsd33ad689.jpg

DSC_2615_zps6c350b4a.jpg
DSC_2613_zpsc19337ea.jpg
DSC_2611_zpsc0d3b7b0.jpg

DSC_2618_zps18dbcfa5.jpg

And a short video of me shooting it...... :)

http://youtu.be/85zq-gUVN8M

-JD

Hi Johnny,

We have a Plainsman category at The Outlaws monthly matches. The folks with single shot rifles shoot one half of the number of rifle targets. One fellow shoots a muzzleloader.

Regards,

Allie

Now that would be fun!

Yes, I love muzzle loaders:

Beautiful rifle you have there.

I have a few.....

Browning Mountain Rifle

Northstar West Trade gun -- flinter

Lyman Great plains -- flinter

T/C Hawken in .50, Cherokee in .32, and 4 Senecas in .36 and .45

2 .45 Underhammer

20 gauge Double Shotgun

A bunch of T/C Patriot, Lyman Plains, Underhammer, and Ethan Allen pistols

Philadelphia Derringer

Yes, it's an illness and I've got it full-bore!

--SmokeDawg

I shoot a .50 cal Hawken at our local club's Black Powder Muzzle Loader Match.

They sure are fun to shoot.

That's a mighty fine looking Rifle you have there.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Nice guns you guys have! I should have said this isn't my first one.... I have three CVA muzzleloaders I put together as kits back in the early 80's. .32 squirrel rifle, .45 Kentucky flintlock and a .58 hawken type.... the one I just got is by far the prettiest gun I own.... :)

I have a 50 cal hawken by T/C. I've not shot it in a few years as the group of us how did shoot them has dispersed.

Howdy:

I am also addicted to Muzzle loaders. I have:

T/C Scout - 50 and 54 barrels

T/C Big Bore .58 Cal

Investarms Flintlock Hawken .58 Cal

Investarms Percussion .58 Cal

Pedersoli .flintlock Frontier Standard .36 Cal

Pedersoli Percussion SxS 12 ga

CVA Missouri Ranger Percussion .50 Cal

Self Made Underhammer 12 ga.

Not counting multitude of BP revolvers here and there, The ones listed are my hunting guns. And they work quite well on deer and pheasants and squirrels.

STL Suomi

Count the lands and grooves in the barrel. If there are 8 then its Green Mountain. Can't remenber the other right off, I believe the Long Hammock has 5, Rice and Colrain have 6.

Very nice rifle, have one very similar only in .50 cal. Matt does great work, I have 5 of his gun.

I have a .58 caliber Remington Zouave (repro) I've never shot it! I've got to get it out and shoot it this year! Beautiful gun!

Count the lands and grooves in the barrel. If there are 8 then its Green Mountain. Can't remenber the other right off, I believe the Long Hammock has 5, Rice and Colrain have 6.

Very nice rifle, have one very similar only in .50 cal. Matt does great work, I have 5 of his gun.

Thanks for the info Bitterroot! I just counted it and there are 6. Yes that man can build a nice rifle.

Rye, you need to shoot that thing! :)

One local club, Greene County Fish and Game, has a weekly "winter league" muzzleloader match at 10:00 am every Sunday. We shoot fifteen rounds at 25 yards and five rounds at 50 yards, all offhand, patched round ball only. It's cold but the firing line is covered. This coming Sunday is an egg shoot.

My rifles:

Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle .50cal flint

Dixie Tennessee Squirrel Rifle .32cal percussion

T/C Hawken .50cal percussion bought new in the '70's-also have a 32" Green Mountain .40 cal round ball barrel for this one

Pedersoli .45cal Tryon built in the early 80's imported by Richland Arms

T/C .50cal Grey Hawk

Custom built Hawken built by SR Blackstone-exhibition grade quarter-sawn curly sugar maple stock, rust browned barrel, lock and furniture. The barrel is a 32" 50 cal 1in 66" twist by Ed Rayl, full octagon 1" across the flats, lock and set triggers by L&R. This rifle was built in '97 on special order and I picked it up at a local shop about eight years a go in like new condition for about a fourth of what it would cost to have built today. I only managed to find the builder about two weeks ago and that's how I learned the details. He was surprised the original owner let it go. He remembered the wood and said it was the nicest piece of wood he had ever had to build a rifle with and he is currently building his 79th rifle. This is the most "not-for-sale" rifle I own.

Hi Johnny,

We have a Plainsman category at The Outlaws monthly matches. The folks with single shot rifles shoot one half of the number of rifle targets. One fellow shoots a muzzleloader.

Regards,

Allie

He shoots *A* muzzleloader? So he reloads on the clock? What's a typical time for him to shoot those 5 rounds?

I can load and accurately fire 5 shots with my Civil War musket in probably less than 3 minutes. Less if I can start with the first shot already loaded.

Have a 58cal made in Italy my dad got back in the late 1950's. If I get the ichen, just go out back and fire away :D

My son shot his first deer with my TC Renegade. I gave him the option of keeping that rifle or me buying him a new one. He just hugged it close. I went to buy me a new Renegade and found out there aint no such critter. Had to get a Lyman Great Plains. It's OK but it's not the Renegade. Shot my biggest buck ever with it though. Now to find a nice one for my little girl. She has deer fever real bad. Her 2014 buck is at the taxidermist now. Hope a boy don't come along and ruin it.

He shoots *A* muzzleloader? So he reloads on the clock? What's a typical time for him to shoot those 5 rounds?

I do not recall and haven't seen him at a match lately. To figure it out, I would have to go through a multitude of scores then try to determine his time. I'm sorry that I am not willing to do so.

I built from a kit a .54 cal Hawken and antiqued it up! I've shot 2 cow elk with it and just absolutely love it. Between that and my Sharps do you need anything else?

Hawken percussion .50

Pendersoli flint .50

Unknown maker flint .62 smoothbore "carbine."

Unknown maker flint .50 rifle.

It's a whole other bag of fun.

1.png

My boy wants in on it too.

EBB52B0F-89C4-4AC0-8311-357625B2226E.jpg

Farmer Tom.... that is absolutely awesome! And your son too! That's great! :) My son turns 21 in April and is away at school so he does less and less with me in that respect. I miss it..... I'm really feeling it right now as he is leaving for four months in China on Monday (2/2)

Thanks for posting the photos!

-JD

Johnny, great lookin' rifle!

I've been shooting a .54 (actually a .53) Sante Fe Hawken for over 30 years. The week after WR is the NMRA Western National at Ben Avery.

Same one I have, hunting, target shooting and just all-around plinkin', fun rifle. Got mine thru the "Log Cabin Shop" back in the early '80s. Even shot at EOT for the Long range side match! (1986 IIRC)!

eot87-1.jpg

Farmer Tom.... that is absolutely awesome! And your son too! That's great! :) My son turns 21 in April and is away at school so he does less and less with me in that respect. I miss it..... I'm really feeling it right now as he is leaving for four months in China on Monday (2/2)

Thanks for posting the photos!

-JD

Yeah, he likes "goin campin!" I'm hoping that lasts a while!

I can't get my wife to a CAS match, but she was going to rendezvous with her Dad before I met her. So it's a family event for us.

Your boy doing an exchange program?

Yeah, he likes "goin campin!" I'm hoping that lasts a while!

I can't get my wife to a CAS match, but she was going to rendezvous with her Dad before I met her. So it's a family event for us.

Your boy doing an exchange program?

HA! I cant get my wife to a CAS match either... but she wouldn't go to a rendezvous either. I'd like to do that.... never been to one.

Yes, it is an exchange program of sorts. Its part of the program he is in. He went for five weeks last summer (got food poisoning.. :blink: ) He is majoring in Mandarin Chinese, foreign business and economics. No idea where he got that from! He is heading to Harbin, China.... which is in north China. Gets pretty cold there, of course anything is cold when you come from South Louisiana! As I write this, its 0 in Harbin (has gone down to -20) and a very sunny 78 here! :D

Archived