SASS Wire Forum

Care for brass after a shoot (if it can't be cleaned right away)

Key Hay

All my reloading stuff is boxed up for the move but I loaded up enough to hold me off for 6 months. How or should I clean accumulated brass after shooting? It may be a while before I get to it.

Smokeless - put in air tight containers. BP - wash with soap & water thoroughly, rinse well, dry well, put in air tight containers.

Let me preface this by saying if you are shooting BP then you certainly need to be cleaning them in a solution of some kind before storing them. If you are shooting smokeless you really don't have to do anything, just tumble them when you get around to it.

Now all that said I like SHINY brass so I do a little more. I don't tumble my brass until I get about 2,000 of them dirty. I put them in a 5 gallon bucket that has some white vinegar, lemon juice and Dawn soap mixed in with the water. I agitate them pretty good (by threatening them with 4 more years of Democrats in office :D ) and then rinse them out very thoroughly and them let them dry on an old piece of carpet down in the basement for a few days. They come out pretty shiny that way even without tumbling. I tumble them anyway, just keeps my tumbler media cleaner cleaner....oh and I do add a little car wax in the media.

Kajun

I like adding "White Diamond" metal polish to my tumbler corn....Shiney and I don't need case lube :)

Chicken Scratch

Let me preface this by saying if you are shooting BP then you certainly need to be cleaning them in a solution of some kind before storing them. If you are shooting smokeless you really don't have to do anything, just tumble them when you get around to it.

Now all that said I like SHINY brass so I do a little more. I don't tumble my brass until I get about 2,000 of them dirty. I put them in a 5 gallon bucket that has some white vinegar, lemon juice and Dawn soap mixed in with the water. I agitate them pretty good (by threatening them with 4 more years of Democrats in office :D ) and then rinse them out very thoroughly and them let them dry on an old piece of carpet down in the basement for a few days. They come out pretty shiny that way even without tumbling. I tumble them anyway, just keeps my tumbler media cleaner cleaner....oh and I do add a little car wax in the media.

Kajun

What! No creole seasoning?

Smokeless Powder (unless a BP got accidentally mixed in).

What! No creole seasoning?

:D :D I put some of dat Kajun seasoning in wif dat BP when I shoot it...makes dem targets burn yeah! :lol:

Smokeless Powder (unless a BP got accidentally mixed in).

Well, you can just store them in a container or you can rinse them out and let them dry...keeps the dust down a bit. You've got options.

And don't forget the Kajun RV park is on yore way to the east coast.

:D :D I put some of dat Kajun seasoning in wif dat BP when I shoot it...makes dem targets burn yeah! :lol:

Well, you can just store them in a container or you can rinse them out and let them dry...keeps the dust down a bit. You've got options.

And don't forget the Kajun RV park is on yore way to the east coast.

Looking forward to shooting with ya!

Kay like they said above bp neutralize the corrosion by hot soap water, rinse and dry, smokeless tumble when you can I've got brass from a couple years ago that still needs cleaning, on the list for when I get back now that I got my stuff together to reload a bunch before I left. I plan on running both vibratory cleaners around the clock when I get back until I get it all cleaned and loaded. I got to rinse some cases today from a match a week ago that I keep forgetting to do heck I've not clean the guns yet on my list for this week since I did hit them with some mp early last week they good to go until. Find the time.

I don't bother with cleaning smokeless brass until I am within a week or so of wanting to load it. Otherwise, I would probably have to clean fired brass TWICE - once right after shooting, once right before loading.

Nothing in modern primer, powder, lube is going to activate corrosion. I would just make sure the fired brass is dry. Would not worry if I didn't get back for 5 years to that brass. And I have had some like that. Cleaned up fine.

Good luck, GJ

Archived