SASS Wire Forum

Texas shooting star

Joe Boot

I guess I hold an unusual record on the Texas star at the Mississippi Peacemakers in Mendenhall, MS. I cleaned the paddles the first five shots and then missed the entire dump target with the next five rounds. :blush:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I hold an unusual record on the Texas star at the Mississippi Peacemakers in Mendenhall, MS. I cleaned the paddles the first five shots and then missed the entire dump target with the next five rounds. :blush:

Now that's something I've never seen.

I've seen them take out the star and miss on a dump its usually the first or last but after the second or third miss they take aim and hit it at least once but I bet you were so shocked you cleaned the star that you didn't care about the dump or were shooting faster to make up time but remember if you take a second or two to aim you're still three to four seconds faster than a miss.

Sweet record. ;)

Fillmore

Jess,

That's a LOT better than my One outa ten!!

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies. Message seems to be, the Texas Star is lots of fun but a pain to reset.

Our monthlies have one small posse so the star won't hold up other posses!

KK This here font is called Georgia -- picked it just for you :D. I'm working on my ATF paperwork to shoot on your side of the border. Hope to see you again next summer. Right now I gotta go shovel some white stuff which landed in my driveway.

Our 'blacksmith' says he can make a Texas Star. Maybe I can talk him into a "windmill" as well.

Thanks again for all the input

Joe Boot

I shoot at 3-4 clubs that have the Texas Star and some well designed knockdowns. Most everyone I know enjoys them as do I. What needs to be clear on these stages is what the procedure is for misses and left over rounds for the dump plate. As long as that is consistent they are a lot of fun. Also helps when you have a good posse that quickly resets the plates. Not much time lost at all when guys know how to efficiently reset targets.

The first John Wayne Shoot-Out after we got our Texas Stars saw ours being used in a shoot-off. We had 2 teams of target resetters that actually turned the chore into a fun competition to see which team could get the job done the fastest. We were down to about 30 to 45 seconds. The time it takes to reset the Star is a poor excuse for not using it, IMHO.

Fillmore

The first John Wayne Shoot-Out after we got our Texas Stars saw ours being used in a shoot-off. We had 2 teams of target resetters that actually turned the chore into a fun competition to see which team could get the job done the fastest. We were down to about 30 to 45 seconds. The time it takes to reset the Star is a poor excuse for not using it, IMHO.

Fillmore

Using it for a shoot off is one thing.

Using it in a multi posse match is another.

Apples and Oranges.

Those resetting it for the shoot off. did not have other posses breathing down there neck.

They also did not have to reset it for 13 people in a row with all there gun rig on and then go shoot.

I enjoy shooting it. BUT. Think there is a time and place to use it.

In a main match is not one of them,

That is unless you have just a small club with maybe one posse.

Just my opinion

Anvil Al

Who is the one that normally got stuck resetting it for most of the posse.

Then having to rush to load so I could shoot.

No one likes to miss and those looking for a clean match often dread the Star, and other Rube Goldberg devices like it, but they get through it okay, usually very well if they are especially concerned. I think these targets are cool and hard to miss, really, especially when made easier by being a rifle target. A lot of shooters like them.

Resetting the Star really is not that much of a problem and it probably adds (wagging, now) maybe 7 minutes max for a 15 person posse to negotiate that stage. Two or three guys, switching out in pairs get through it pretty quick. Those who don't want to reset it don't and perform other posse jobs instead. Some posse members aren't physically able to do chores like that, and in some cases, can't do any posse work. Most just do what they can do.

As I said, I like to see these reactive or responsive targets in a stage from time-to-time. Digressing, another one is a shotgun play, where the shooter's first shot must hit a paddle, which releases a bowling ball down a slight incline, taking several seconds to roll off. Meanwhile there are a variety of other targets to take out until the ball rolls off, strikes a paddle, launching a clay into the air to hit. Wheeee!!

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies. Message seems to be, the Texas Star is lots of fun but a pain to reset.

KK This here font is called Georgia -- picked it just for you :D. I'm working on my ATF paperwork to shoot on your side of the border. Hope to see you again next summer. Right now I gotta go shovel some white stuff which landed in my driveway.

Our 'blacksmith' says he can make a Texas Star. Maybe I can talk him into a "windmill" as well.

Joe Boot

I like that font....Georgia. Glad you are getting your ATF paperwork together. I did not want to try and bring my match guns into Canada when I shot with ya'll...didn't know if I'd get them back across the border. I'm sure it would be easier to get them into Canada than it would be to bring them from there into the US...crazy ain't it.

If your "blacksmith" does make a Texas star or a windmill be sure to take pics or video of it....I'd be interested in seeing them.

If you are going to be anywhere down in our region let me know....I'd be glad to hear from you....I'll help you find what you need and hopefully get to shoot with ya too. And if you don't have your guns with you I've got extra and will be proud to let you shoot them...we'll have plenty of ammo and we will have bon temps.

Kajun

If you're in love with the Texas star, you'll really love the Polish plate rack. Amazingly cool target and a great separator of marksmen and bullet slingers. Not likely popular if you have folks whining about a clean match or those who find a conventional plate rack difficult to go one for one on at ten yards. See also the Irish plate rack.

Kajun it's was great meeting you if you get out my way or EOT or let me know maybe I'll be able to help you out. Not making WR this year but it's on the list for next, should be at EOT this summer barring health problems I don't for see. We shoot the second, and forth weekends in south central nm. There are other matches for cowboy but not sass rules one is very close the other isn't.

Rusty Rooster, are you shooting exclusively at Sorento? I'd like to invite you to shoot in Amite the 2nd Saturday each month. Great folks in Amite and a lot of those who do shoot by the Sunshine Bridge shoot with the Bounty Hunters also! Give it some thought!

If you're in love with the Texas star, you'll really love the Polish plate rack. Amazingly cool target and a great separator of marksmen and bullet slingers. Not likely popular if you have folks whining about a clean match or those who find a conventional plate rack difficult to go one for one on at ten yards. See also the Irish plate rack.

Do tell, why is it called a Polish plate rack? Was it made in Poland or made by a Pole? Why not a Jewish plate rack or a Mexican plate rack or a Romanian plate rack or a Carolina plate rack? What are you implying? Inquiring minds want to know. ^_^

Fillmore

Please tell me - what's a "Bullet Slinger"?

Would like to know...

Phantom

Rusty Rooster, are you shooting exclusively at Sorento? I'd like to invite you to shoot in Amite the 2nd Saturday each month. Great folks in Amite and a lot of those who do shoot by the Sunshine Bridge shoot with the Bounty Hunters also! Give it some thought!

Jess,

Thanks for your offer. Most of my Saturdays are scheduled with commitments. Most Sundays are open for me - if the weather is reasonable. (I simply cannot understand why people live where regular winter happenings of 2 feet of snow stops all functions for thousands of happy folks!!) BTW - Winter today in Louisiana is low 50 overnight and 72 in the daytime!!

Been to Amite once with other Deadwood Pards and had a really fine time there -

GREAT fun - especially the mine stage with the car, - FIRE... wait for it........(did I hit it?).....Clang!)

I've not been to any match in awhile - just a bit 'down' from an 'incident' (Please don't ask - it's over and in the past!)

I still like the friendship of many I have met, but the 'incident' has left me no longer happy about shooting cowboy.

I hope - as has been said - "Time Wounds All Heels".

RR

Kajun it's was great meeting you if you get out my way or EOT or let me know maybe I'll be able to help you out. Not making WR this year but it's on the list for next, should be at EOT this summer barring health problems I don't for see. We shoot the second, and forth weekends in south central nm. There are other matches for cowboy but not sass rules one is very close the other isn't.

Blackey, it was good to make your acquaintance here in GA and I hope you can get back here when you have time and are feeling well. One of these years I'm going to make it out to EOT, hopefully in the next 2 or 3. When I finally retire in a few years and don't have to w*rk for a living I'll be doing more traveling. I always like to shoot at state matches nearby....and then there's Black Gold in Kentucky....once you shoot there you'll want to go back every year.

So Jess Money, I saw the word Amite in your post. Isn't the LA state match going to be held there this year? It so happens that my in-laws live in Pontchatoula which is about 20 miles south of there. My wife and I were planning on a trip to see her folks later in the year...if I can find out the details about the state match I might be able to have a harmonious outcome, visit her parents and shoot a match.

Kajun

Never seen that, but I did see a fellow clean the Star and then dump five shots on the center of it instead of the dump target. He said he did it because it was quicker to dump there then swing his revolver over to the dump target. He was credited five misses and advised on the damage his actions could make to expensive hardware.

Do tell, why is it called a Polish plate rack? Was it made in Poland or made by a Pole? Why not a Jewish plate rack or a Mexican plate rack or a Romanian plate rack or a Carolina plate rack? What are you implying? Inquiring minds want to know. ^_^

Fillmore

Likely because it is constructed bassackwards.

Please tell me - what's a "Bullet Slinger"?

Would like to know...

Phantom

A bullet slinger is one who doth not possess the marksmanship to hit plate racks one for one and as such solves the problem by slinging more bullets in the general direction of the target. Such a shooter is usually in possession of a high capacity 9 milimeter and numerous "magazines" not of the reading variety. Occasionally, much to my chagrin and the furtherance of futility, these slingers come by a brace of single action revolvers...

The Irish plate rack strikes my fancy. All that movement. Gunfighter's delight!

I saw a video of the Polish Plate Rack of YouTube. It's one wicked contraption. I wonder what quality of steel the plates are made of? It would be worth $1200 if made of quality steel.

Never seen that, but I did see a fellow clean the Star and then dump five shots on the center of it instead of the dump target. He said he did it because it was quicker to dump there then swing his revolver over to the dump target. He was credited five misses and advised on the damage his actions could make to expensive hardware.

:lol: I would have asked him the rest of the day to tell me again just how much time he saved. :ph34r:

Lets see. Swing pistol over to dump plate. Less than a second.

OR.

5 misses for 25 seconds, probably could have got a SOG for another 30.

Maybe add in another few hundred dollars for damage to target. :o

But YES. He saved 1/2 second. :wacko::blink:

Dump on my Texas star centre plate and you get a match DQ. period.

You are advised before hand too, in my stage directions.

Likely because it is constructed bassackwards.

What does that mean? It's folks like you that probably enjoy using the N word. You're a real class act.

Fillmore

Likely because it is constructed bassackwards. A bullet slinger is one who doth not possess the marksmanship to hit plate racks one for one and as such solves the problem by slinging more bullets in the general direction of the target. Such a shooter is usually in possession of a high capacity 9 milimeter and numerous "magazines" not of the reading variety. Occasionally, much to my chagrin and the furtherance of futility, these slingers come by a brace of single action revolvers...

The Irish plate rack strikes my fancy. All that movement. Gunfighter's delight!

Much to your chagrin...what the heck are you talking about.

Are you saying that folks in CAS/SASS are not of the quality marksman that you would like to see?

You do understand that CAS is not a bullseye match...right?

Phantom

People who are denied a clean match by the Texas Star need to work on their shooting skills, to many shooters are able to make it look boringly simple. Those 'clean shooters' who make every round fired look like a sniper preparing for a shot, when shooting at distances measured in feet take up a lot more match time than those setting up the targets!

Joe Boot

Good luck, if he doesn't have any plans. Seen plenty of stars lying in sheds cause they don't work properly or only half work, cause 'blacksmiths' thought they could make them from thin air,...shooters get disillusioned.

They'd come out to the range and sneak photos of my star, only to find it's way more complicated to get it to work right.

I've got full intricate detailed plans from the original inventor, who put a lot of work into the whole concept. It's not as easy as you think! I've been making them for nigh on 13 years and there's not one that has not worked to perfection.

Cutting corners on this target renders it useless, believe me.

Plans available for $99.00 plus you get a bunch of fun stages, with them you can play with using the target.

It's also not a pain to reset, I can reset it on my own in about 1 minute, just gotta know how, without fumbling, it's a case of getting the order right, after 13 years running the Texas Star Challenge at the Australian Nationals & Sass Regional, I have plenty of experience.

Talk to me at Winter Range swap meet, if you're interested.

Much to your chagrin...what the heck are you talking about.

Are you saying that folks in CAS/SASS are not of the quality marksman that you would like to see?

You do understand that CAS is not a bullseye match...right?

Phantom

I'm a uspsa revolver shooter(recovering perfectionist) and I like to see folks making the hits. It hurts to see misses when you're wishing a great run for someone. You're right though, fun is most important.

Archived