SASS Wire Forum

Shipping BP firearm to TX

Black Angus McPherson

I just worked out a trade with a man down in Texas and I need to ship him a percussion pistol.

I understand there is no restriction sending it directly to him. My question is about USPS.

Will USPS ship a black powder gun to an individual? I can't figure out the USPS website to find an answer and I'm sure someone here will know the answer. I just don't want to get it all boxed up and have the PO clerk go nuts when I tell him what's inside.

Thanks.

Angus

You don't tell him what's inside!

There is no law that says you need to tell him/her.

BATF considers muzzle loaders non firearms, so it is legal for you to send it.

Use Priority mail, insure it, and pack it well.

Then, just mail her off.

Easy-Peasy

--Dawg

The definition of an antique firearm is in the Domestic Mail Manual (DMM) 601 Section 12 paragraph 12.1.1 g:

Quote:
Antique firearm means any firearm (including those with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898, or any replica thereof, if such replica:

1. Is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition.

2. Uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition that is no longer manufactured in the United States and that is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

The mailability of antique firearms is proscribed in DMM 601 Section 12 paragraph 12.2:

Quote:
Antique Firearms

Antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

(The referenced paragraphs 12.1.3 through 12.1.6 describe conditions under which certain authorized persons may mail otherwise prohibited guns

Just make sure there is not a conversion cylinder in the box with it. C&B pistols are OK but if you put a cartridge cylinder in it or in the box with it then the antique firearm rules no longer apply.

If the package is going to be insured, how would you describe the contents in order to avoid a fraudulent description? When I mailed BP revolvers, I let the PO clerk admire them before packing them in his sight. No problemo. I told him what I had before bringing them in from my car just to avoid any issues.

You don't have to describe the contents when you insure something

--Dawg

You don't have to describe the contents when you insure something

--Dawg

+1

They ask you if there's anything hazardous, flammable or explosive.

Don't say not until you load 'em!!! :P

I mailed some books to a friend,when they ask if the contents were dangerous, I replied "Yes", explaining that knowledge was the most dangerous thing in the world. Went right over the counter person's head.

Pack it well in a Flat-Rate Priority box, and mail it....Preferably from one of the automated package mailng centers.

You don't have to talk to any postal employee that way, Just print and pay for the label, put it on the Flat rate box, and mail it.

You don't have any conversation with any postal employee about what is in the box. Few of them know their own rules

and It is none of their business anyway. The less said about the subject the better, don't disturb a sleeping dog.

Mailing PERCUSSION revolvers via USPS is NOT illegal.

I mailed a long gun once & told the clerk what was in the box. Then told her the postal reg, the page # & paragraph where it was found and she and a coworker still couldn't understand what they were reading. Finally called the postmaster & he told them the same thing that was in their book. Had other people waiting in line for over an hour while those two morons performed a task that should've taken 5 minutes or less. My mistake was telling them a rifle was in the box. I'll never ever do that again.

They should NEVER ask what are the contents unless you answer "yes" to the "hazmat" questions. If the do, just say, "the contents are not hazardous in any way." If they continue, your answer is, "you don't need to know." Take your package and leave. Go to a different Post Office, or return another time after repackaging an labeling your shipment. I had all this happen once. They have no reason to know for non hazardous items. Tell the clerk the contents are anonymous to prevent Postal employee theft. Take your package, strip off any postage demand a refund, take possession of your package and don't give it up. Demand to speak to the postmaster and chew him out, but take your box to another facility, otherwise they'll open it after you have gone.

Archived