SASS Wire Forum

66 yellowboy carrier

MBFields

Does anyone know if the carrier from a 66 yb 38 special only would work in a new uberti 73? Would solve 38 spl shell length issues vs 357 mag.

Small caliber carrier such as 38/357 with fit either the 66 or 73. They are identical. Large caliber carrier such as 45/44-40 uses the same carrier.

Unless if your 66 is the older version, will not fit the 73.

No, the carriers are not the same. The 38 special only 66 used a shorter carrier than the 73. I have one.

Snakebite

There are two answers. If you have a newer Uberti 66 they are the same carrier. The real old ones used a different carrier. Maybe some one else can give you the "exact" years but if the gun is probably 2000 & up you can use the same carrier.

I was told the 66 was 38 only because the brass receiver was too weak for 357.........don't know if that's true but it sounds good.

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=7

If you want to solve feeding problems in a 73 with 38 special, there are several approaches that work perfectly well.

Swapping to a different carrier solves nothing for that problem. If the carrier fits a 73, it handles a cartridge length up to 1.600".

Common 38 specials are more like 1.40"-1.5" or so. Usually a longer seated slug or a long-nose slug (Truncated Cone designs shine at this) will give you enough length to use a standard carrier. Aim for about 1.55" overall length.

If you can't figure out how to get that long a length, then the cartridge return ramp on the front of the carrier can be re-angled to have a shallower slope, allowing a shorter "2nd cartridge" to be returned to the magazine and the "1st cartridge" carried up to the chamber.

I've set up several for a long-seated 125 grain TC bullet, and enough re-angling of the ramp to allow gun to run smoothly.

Good luck, GJ

Archived