SASS Wire Forum

11 of 12 balls were underinflated: ohhhhhhh !

Widder, SASS #59054

Fishermen are all brothers in my opinion. We're a bunch of big jerks waiting for a little jerk at the end of a line. Saw your post the other day, and sent a smoke signal to the Cheif. The only thing I can carve is a turkey and ham. Hope he gets some calm waters.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - I'm a Pats fan, and have a great deal of pride invested in this team over the past 25 years. Don't expect me to believe the worst of them without definitive proof.

The local news media is reporting two "facts" today:

• Reportedly, the Indy player who intercepted the pass, and supposedly started this brouhaha by complaining to someone about a ball that "didn't feel right", now is denying that he complained to anyone about the feel of the ball, and stating instead that the ball felt "fine";
  • Reportedly, the news story yesterday that "11 out of 12 balls" were "deflated" is an unattributed "leak" (no pun intended) from "someone" inside the NFL, with no confirmation at this time (translate that to "gossip" or "whispering without verification")

The Boston Globe ran a video this morning, asking folks in the newsroom if they could tell the difference between a ball inflated to 12.5 psi (the minimum under the Rules) and 11 psi; most folks, even with an example of each in their hands and a full opportunity to press, knead and scrunch, could not; some even guessed wrong; a couple got it correct; almost all expressed surprise at how little difference there was in feel, and some expressed disbelief that there could be so much controversy over such an issue (obviously not sports fans!!) I'd like to see some of these media experts try a "blind" feel test, with no second ball to compare, and just trying to identify the pressure in an individual ball - preferably wet, in 40-50 degree weather, with the future of their employment depending upon the outcome. Then let's see whether, in the 20 seconds or so that they are holding the ball, with 3 or 4 extra-large angry men headed for them, they can tell, within 2 psi, the inflation pressure of the ball.

Again, I'll wait to hear what the facts are from the NFL investigation. As best as I can tell, no one else has them yet.

LL

Fishermen are all brothers in my opinion. We're a bunch of big jerks waiting for a little jerk at the end of a line. Saw your post the other day, and sent a smoke signal to the Cheif. The only thing I can carve is a turkey and ham. Hope he gets some calm waters.

Thanks for you prayers, Shawnee.

Just for the record, where did you come up with the Alias of Shawnee? I grew up in Shawnee indian country in So Illinois, but I know that they were mostly in Ohio. Read the book Tecumseh . Quite a read, with some interesting fact about the tribe that I didn't know.

Forty years in the league and you don't have some knowledge of every facet of the game , yeah right.

There are some OJ fans still waiting for "definitive proof" too. ;)

An anchorgirl on CNN just reported the balls were under-deflated. Oy.

Bless her heart. So confused.

:D :D

Seems to me as per above that a ball inflated in a hot locker room and then taken out into the cold would result in lower pressure and thus a softer ball. But would it be enough to make the ball obviously soft. Did the guy on tv delve into that?

I saw someone do the math on this on another website. Accoding to them, it would have to have been properly inflated at about 94 degrees to lose 1.6 psi in the outside temperature (55 degrees).

I have also heard the colt who intercepted the pass did not notice anything wrong or give it to an official, but the equipment manager he gave the ball to might have noticed it and brought it to the league's attention. I also heard the league was on the lookout for these shenanigans because the ravens brought it to their attention the week before.

And finally, I heard the guy who intercepted the pass noticed at one point in the game, the pats were using colt's balls because according to an official, they couldn't find any usable pats balls.

The Boston Globe ran a video this morning, asking folks in the newsroom if they could tell the difference between a ball inflated to 12.5 psi (the minimum under the Rules) and 11 psi; most folks, even with an example of each in their hands and a full opportunity to press, knead and scrunch, could not; some even guessed wrong; a couple got it correct; almost all expressed surprise at how little difference there was in feel, and some expressed disbelief that there could be so much controversy over such an issue (obviously not sports fans!!) I'd like to see some of these media experts try a "blind" feel test, with no second ball to compare, and just trying to identify the pressure in an individual ball - preferably wet, in 40-50 degree weather, with the future of their employment depending upon the outcome. Then let's see whether, in the 20 seconds or so that they are holding the ball, with 3 or 4 extra-large angry men headed for them, they can tell, within 2 psi, the inflation pressure of the ball.

With all due respect, those trials are a joke. To put it in perspective, it would be like handing 2 of our rifles to non shooters, one with a short stroke kit, and one stock and asking if they can tell what's different. Most of you guys could probably tell (I don't think I could), but that's because you have lots of experience with them trying to run them really really fast. The average person or the casual shooter isn't even going to know where to start looking. I would give slightly more credence to the one I heard about where they asked ex NFL QBs. In that test, supposedly 2 out of 3 guessed wrong on which was underinflated, but they all felt a difference.

The Boston Globe asked folks in the newsroom. Now there's an unbiased jury sample. Waaahaaaahaaaa:D

But stick to yore guns LL. ;)

UB:

You bet I will. Basic fundamental fairness demands it. I'm no idiot; I understand that it could go either way. But it burns my rear that so many folks, many of whom appear to be heavily prejudiced against the team or the coach or both to begin with, want to crucify them with assumptions, supposition, third-hand information and outright lies. Thank you, but I will wait for the report from the NFL. None of us, and none of the so-called journalists trolling the bottom for a "story", have the facts.

And I would consider it a personal favor if you did not lump me in with OJ apologists.

LL

BMC,

My great grandfather had Shawnee blood, was told his grandmother (?) was a sister or daughter of Tecumseh. We have never been able to figure it out, if it is true or not. I was born in Paulding, Ohio and grew up in Covington, Ohio, the heart of the original Shawnee lands. They were also the ones who tried to unite the Indian Nations for the first Department of Homeland Security. For the timeframe that we play cowboy, they were scouts, guides and scalp hunters ( not a really good way to be remembered ). I am a good guy.

But back to football:

The Patriots have been my favorite football team from day 1, even though I grew up in Ohio. Boston is the best sports city in the USA. They had a better logo then the Browns ( sorry Rye and all the other Browns fans here) and they were the first pro sports game I attended. Been a Patriots fan since 1960. Nothing surprises me anymore in sports. I am not dumping on them, but Loophole, did Bill really convince you? He put Tom out there because he knew the press would not beat him up. I really don't know what the deal is, the one thing I do know. the NFL has to get its act together, so that once a game is finished, no one can say, they cheated.

UB:

You bet I will. Basic fundamental fairness demands it. I'm no idiot; I understand that it could go either way. But it burns my rear that so many folks, many of whom appear to be heavily prejudiced against the team or the coach or both to begin with, want to crucify them with assumptions, supposition, third-hand information and outright lies. Thank you, but I will wait for the report from the NFL. None of us, and none of the so-called journalists trolling the bottom for a "story", have the facts.

And I would consider it a personal favor if you did not lump me in with OJ apologists.

LL

That was meant in jest, certainly. My apologies if I offended you.

That was meant in jest, certainly. My apologies if I offended you.

UB:

My apologies. I'm normally calm and hopefully well-reasoned; but the media pressure surrounding this controversy is starting to wear heavily on my soul. It seems like every QB whose records have been broken, every coach who has lost a championship game to the Pats, and every media stooge looking for a headline has an axe to grind, and it is the fans, who should be enjoying a great run-up to the Superbowl, are instead left to question and defend their team against unproven allegations. If somebody broke the rules, let him pull up his Big Boy pants and take responsibility; but in the meantime, all of this spiteful sniping is driving me nuts.

I saw your smiley face; I'm just overly sensitive about this. I think I'll give it a rest and wait for some real news to work its way down. Somebody call me when a real report surfaces; I can't bear to watch the news or sports or even the Wire until that happens.

LL

Loophole! I am a fan of the Kraft family. I think they have done a lot for professional football and pro sports in general. I am NOT a fan of Bill Belicheat er, uh, Belicheck. He is a proven and admitted cheater. I like Tom Brady too and I sincerely hope that he's telling the truth when he says he has no knowledge of tampering, but he certainly didn't seem too forthcoming or comfortable in his publicized interview.

You're a good fan and I think you really don't have to apologize for being one.

As a long time Pats fan, I understand what you're saying. The team was immediately tried, found guilty and as you stated, everyone that wants a few seconds in the lights has come out of the woodwork. So far it's been nothing but unofficial "leaks". reports by "knowledgeable" talking heads, and outright fabrication.

Did they do something deliberately? I don't know. Perhaps at some point we will know, without all the hyperbole and media feeding frenzy. If it turns out they did, I will be deeply disappointed in the team, but they will still be My Team, and I will continue to cheer for them.

Isn't it a sad statement for this country and it's so called media that with Yemen falling apart, The King of Saudi Arabia, our staunchest ally in the middle east dies, and our current administration is snubbing allies left and right while embracing our enemies and giving away the country to illegal invaders, that the LEAD STORY on NBC and CBS is a damn football???

One thing Mr. Blackwater, I don't recall an interview I ever saw with Tom Brady where he seemed comfortable during it. Being in front of the camera on a personal one on one seemed to be pretty low on his list of favorite things. :D

Fox News had a CIA "truth analyst" (lie detector expert, "lie psychologist") review interview tapes of NE's QB and coach and he pointed out several indicators that both were lying about their knowledge of and participation in, the deflating of the footballs. Apparently they can't be trusted with anything and I think the next thing you'll see them doing is that they will be back to putting bounties on injuring opposing teams' players.

It's been pointed out that NE would have won anyway. In my opinion, that is significant in that it makes the NE personnel structure an even more dangerous, rogue operation. They didn't have to cheat, but did it anyway, as a matter of humorous routine. The organization should be broken up, with key participants in this banned from the game, much like Pete Rose was banned from Baseball for his indiscretions. This is worse. And, this is only what's come to be known so far....it's the smoke before the fire.

An anchorgirl on CNN just reported the balls were under-deflated. Oy.

Bless her heart. So confused.

:D :D

Soooooo........

They were over-inflated? :wacko:

If, indeed, 11 of 12 were improperly inflated all in the same direction, I'd be inclined to say "Faulty gauge. And one instance of misreading the gauge."

Fox News had a CIA "truth analyst" (lie detector expert, "lie psychologist") review interview tapes of NE's QB and coach and he pointed out several indicators that both were lying about their knowledge of and participation in, the deflating of the footballs. Apparently they can't be trusted with anything and I think the next thing you'll see them doing is that they will be back to putting bounties on injuring opposing teams' players.

It's been pointed out that NE would have won anyway. In my opinion, that is significant in that it makes the NE personnel structure an even more dangerous, rogue operation. They didn't have to cheat, but did it anyway, as a matter of humorous routine. The organization should be broken up, with key participants in this banned from the game, much like Pete Rose was banned from Baseball for his indiscretions. This is worse. And, this is only what's come to be known so far....it's the smoke before the fire.

Oh, boy...now we are being blamed for what New Orleans did?

LL

It never ceases to amaze me how the majority of Americans, with the help of the liberal media, can focus on this kind of bull crap, while our once great nation goes down the crapper.

It never ceases to amaze me how the majority of Americans, with the help of the liberal media, can focus on this kind of bull crap, while our once great nation goes down the crapper.

The libs are happier than swine in doo-doo about this, it's keeping the focus off of o-whatshisname who I understand is off to bow to the new dictator of Saudi Arabia who is very jihad and sharia law supportive.

Pard, do you really think the "majority of Americans" are paying attention to the deflated ball "issue"?

And what do the "liberal media" have to do with it?

The libs are happier than swine in doo-doo about this, it's keeping the focus off of o-whatshisname who I understand is off to bow to the new dictator of Saudi Arabia who is very jihad and sharia law supportive.

This, I'll warrant, is the biggest non-sequitur of the New Year!

But, now I think about it, Obama probably did have his minions deflate those balls, at the direction of the Islamists! Makes perfect sense....

True, also, it's mind boggling to think that a Saudi king would be "Sharia law supportive"!

Now dont try dragging the Saints into this one.... :D We have enough problems of our own. Besides, we paid our fines and took the suspensions for playing "dirty"

As far as "deflategate" goes, if does sound as though something was fishy with the balls. A few ball boys have reported that the testing of the balls before the game is not really handled properly. As in, gauges not actually being used. The officials are supposed to check all balls before the game. I dont know what happened, nor do I really care. This will just be another game where I dont really care who wins.....well.....I dont care much for the Seahawks, but thats just personal. Some arrogance is hard to over look

Bill Nye, the science guy has weighed in on deflated footballs. He said rubbing the balls won't deflate them ( I won't say anymore ), the only way to deflate a ball is with an inflation needle. He ended the interview with, " go Seahawks " . So another unbiased person adding their two cents worth.

As a side note I didn't buy Belichicks explanation about the balls being rubbed and dried.

I still say Go Patriots, yes I am biased.

Where's Mr Wizard when you need him?

Can this whole thing get any more ridiculouser??

just idiotic I can't wait till this damn stupid bowl with all it's hype annd bullshit is over

Will be the longest six days, the news hacks will make it worst then being water boarded.

Wish I was in Arizona, though.

OK - I'm a Pats fan, and have a great deal of pride invested in this team over the past 25 years. Don't expect me to believe the worst of them without definitive proof.

The local news media is reporting two "facts" today:

• Reportedly, the Indy player who intercepted the pass, and supposedly started this brouhaha by complaining to someone about a ball that "didn't feel right", now is denying that he complained to anyone about the feel of the ball, and stating instead that the ball felt "fine";
  • Reportedly, the news story yesterday that "11 out of 12 balls" were "deflated" is an unattributed "leak" (no pun intended) from "someone" inside the NFL, with no confirmation at this time (translate that to "gossip" or "whispering without verification")

Again, I'll wait to hear what the facts are from the NFL investigation. As best as I can tell, no one else has them yet.

LL

Well said Larue, everyone's incriminating the Pats on heresay! Innocent until proven guilty! Is this America or what? :blink:

Archived