SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter question: which gun to shoot first and lead changes

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I want to try Gunfighter at some point. Do you always start with the same pistol or does it depend on the scenario?

Example: Three pistol targets to be engaged in a 1,2,3,2,1 sweep. Would you start with the left pistol or right? Do you change leads? How do you keep track of which pistol has fired 3 rounds and which has fired 2 at the end of the first sweep?

Hello Doc!

I started shooting Gunfighter in September. I am sure you will get a post from Buck D Law or Randy Saint Eagle with a link to Bucks " Gunfighter 101". It contains a lot of excellent info and will steer you in the right direction. I'm sending this note from my phone so don't have access to my copy right now but will check back later. You could search on the SASS Wire and find it easily too.

You will also have some good advice come up from the experienced Gunfighters shortly I'm sure.

From my experience I can tell you that eventually you will want to become more proficient and start pistols strings with left or right hand depending on the situation. You will want to use both guns for split pistols and consider which gun you want to fire last so you can be picking up the next long gun.

I can tell you the advanced stuff may take a while to get to as everyone learns at their own speed. Buck's teaching aid will tell the way to keep your round count going and how to deal with split pistols etc. Seems every time I learn a new shooting string and figure I have them figured out something new comes along. I can tell you that you need to prepare for a lot of fun and grinning g a lot!!!

Good luck and enjoy.

I just started shooting gunfighter myself. For me, trying not to get to complicated, I would start with my left pistol (I am left handed) and just go left and right, continuing until the stage was completed. It seems doing any other way would be mass confusion, but that is just my thoughts on the subject.

Ok ! So which hand you.start with will depend on which one is your.strong hand and which you prefer. Having said that the string may help.you decide too. My suggestion is practice starting with both. To be able to start and end with either gun is good but takes time same as learning any other category!!! YMMV

For me, it depends on how close the targets are. Sometimes if they are close enough, I would just run that Nevada sweep with L,R,L etc. But usually I pretty much go with what Goody said, or there abouts. I also tend to start with my left gun as well, but not always. It depends on the string of course. Like others have said, practice it dry firing. I like to put post-it notes up in my garage as the string and run those. This helps in three way: you get to practice cock and firing, you get to practice different ways to shoot strings, and post it notes are smaller than targets so you get to practice accuracy.

I have to add this as well because I have never seen it before. At my last shoot, there was one big middle target and ten small targets circling it. The stage ran with alternating the middle and smaller targets with rifle and pistol in any order just as long as it went center/outer/center etc and each outer target was hit once. This was my best stage of the day because when it came to pistols, I just fired at the center with my left gun and the smaller targets with my right, whereas the two handed shooters had to go back and forth. That was fun.

While I usually start with my left revolver, it depends on the sequence. For the sweep you propose, I would start on the left with the left pistol on 1 and alternate through all 10 shots--keeping the guns very close together the entire time. For those who would switch leads, I would suggest that double-cocking readily lends itself to lead changes in this sequence. With both pistols cocked simultaneously each time, it is only a matter of firing the one that is on the appropriate target--thus L (1), R(2).--R(3), L (2)-- then both on 1 in either order--L(2), R(3)--R(2), L (1).

Fun ain't it? I shot gunfighter for a while and one match had a sequence that I thought about and figured out including crossovers and what not. I got up to the line and shot it just how I'd planned it out crossovers and all, and did it pretty dang fast considering.

And I got a P. I'd been so focused on the crossovers and such that I lost sight that it was two separate 5 shot sweeps and not one continuous sweep! I knew at the start of the stage it was two sweeps, but in working it out before I shot, I forgot.

Dry fire practice is the best thing to figure out what works best for you.

Have fun!

For me it just depends on which hand would make it faster. My right is my strong side but my left it's just barely slower. Practice until you can use either interchangeably

I want to try Gunfighter at some point. Do you always start with the same pistol or does it depend on the scenario?

Example: Three pistol targets to be engaged in a 1,2,3,2,1 sweep. Would you start with the left pistol or right? Do you change leads? How do you keep track of which pistol has fired 3 rounds and which has fired 2 at the end of the first sweep?

It is a valuable skill to be able to begin with either pistol.

But until you become accomplished doing so - it will be faster to remain consistent with your pistol order.

Since sweeps tend to flow L-R, generally the left pistol will be the first pistol to discharge.

I am an alternating cocker - so changing leads (for me {unless I REALLY have to because of the design of the sweep}) is slower than cross overs.

Double cockers seems to be more open to doing lead changes.

If you use a consistent pistol order and you are forced to shoot a firearm in between pistols (or even just move between pistol strings) just remember, on the second pistol string, always start with your weak pistol.

The strong pistol will always be the one you have already fired 3 rounds out of.

I can begin with either pistol - but again, unless the sequence is odd enough to really force me to start weak side - I almost always start with the same pistol.

My sequence would be

Hand Target #

L 1

R 2

R 3

L 2

L 1

R 1

L 2

R 3

R 2

L 1

Goody, have you considered this (although not my favorite):

L1 R2 R3 L2 L1

L1 R2 R3 R2 L1

Doc, 'IF' the scenario calls for a Nevada sweep starting on the left and REPEAT instructions, here is one 'reasonable' method:

L1 R2 L3 R2 L1

R1 L2 R3 L2 R1

'IF' the scenario calls for a Nevada sweep starting on one end for the first 5 rounds and start on the other end for the next 5 rounds, here is another 'reasonable' method:

L1 R2 L3 R2 L1

R3 L2 R1 L2 R3

'IF' the scenario calls for a 'continuous' Nevada sweep starting on ANY target, here is a 'reasonable' method:

L2 R3 L2 R1 L2

R3 L2 R1 L2 R3 ...... you will notice on this particular method, your LEFT PISTOL never has to engage any target except #2. Its a dandy little way to shoot it.

Now, all this being stated above is just to show you that there are NUMEROUS ways for a GF to engage the targets within the written scenario.

We CAN NOT engage the targets in any order that is not allowed for others to use.

Do not get confused when the stage description uses words like 'first pistol, second pistol'.

If you wanted to, you can fire 5 shots from the first pistol and then your remaining 5 shots from your other pistol.

You DO NOT have to alternate the shots between pistols.

Try to never 'double discharge'.

I hope some of this helps. I think I'm still learning myself... :)

..........Widder

When I started shooting (FC)GF, I always started with my strong hand, right for me. I never did a lead change and never worried about crossovers, just did them. After a couple of years, I started leading with the weak hand if that would lead to the least number of crossovers. I still don't do lead changes unless it makes a HUGE difference in the sequence. Just leasd to confusion on my part as I try to squeeze a 6th shot out of the empty revolver and then having to fire the other one to get the last target.

I am always impressed by the guys that can switch back a forth from alternating to double cocking for a lead change, and the back again. When I grow up, I want to be able to do that! :D

Hello, my name is Goody, and I'm a double cocker. ;) It is a nasty habit that I am trying to break, but for now what are you going to do?.

Anyway, in my example above my reason for doing it that way is I try and minimize movement of the guns. When they do move I prefer them to be moved in tandem. I also think through the scenario many different ways, but never in 5 shot strings, mostly in pairs.

What hand can you shoot the first shot with the fastest and be on target.Do one shot drills with both pistols and it may surprise yourself.You need to learn to shoot right or left lead I think,but that is just me.

Hello, my name is Goody, and I'm a double cocker. ;) It is a nasty habit that I am trying to break, but for now what are you going to do?.

Anyway, in my example above my reason for doing it that way is I try and minimize movement of the guns. When they do move I prefer them to be moved in tandem. I also think through the scenario many different ways, but never in 5 shot strings, mostly in pairs.

ahhhh, I get it. Thanks.

Actually, two of the best GFer's I know are double cockers and I love to watch both of them shoot when given the opportunity. They are Bad River Marty in Michigan and Kid Ziggy here in Tennessee.

Have a good day.

..........Widder

Which ever you want. I used to practice different sweeps on the clock to see which way was the fastest and try to shoot it that way but at time like all plans it didn't happen.

Hello Doc!

I started shooting Gunfighter in September. I am sure you will get a post from Buck D Law or Randy Saint Eagle with a link to Bucks " Gunfighter 101". It contains a lot of excellent info and will steer you in the right direction. I'm sending this note from my phone so don't have access to my copy right now but will check back later. You could search on the SASS Wire and find it easily too.

You will also have some good advice come up from the experienced Gunfighters shortly I'm sure.

From my experience I can tell you that eventually you will want to become more proficient and start pistols strings with left or right hand depending on the situation. You will want to use both guns for split pistols and consider which gun you want to fire last so you can be picking up the next long gun.

I can tell you the advanced stuff may take a while to get to as everyone learns at their own speed. Buck's teaching aid will tell the way to keep your round count going and how to deal with split pistols etc. Seems every time I learn a new shooting string and figure I have them figured out something new comes along. I can tell you that you need to prepare for a lot of fun and grinning g a lot!!!

Good luck and enjoy.

Buck probably hasn't seen this yet but try this link to his Gunfighter 101.

http://arrowgraphics.net/Gunfighter_101_Vs._3.pdf

Randy

Me too but it does lead to easy lead changes

did I miss something, your 1,2,3,2,1 sweep only has 9 shots in it,,,,,

I don't know how I would shoot it..................I'm thinking about my breathing :blink:

did I miss something, your 1,2,3,2,1 sweep only has 9 shots in it,,,,,

Yeah...........They are talking about shooting targets 1,2 & 3 in a Nevada sweep with 1st pistol.

duh!!!

you still have to push at some point,,, either way with either gun....

Friends don't let friends double-cock.

Practice leading with either hand.

The basic rule is that you look at which way you are going (sweep left to right - so you are moving right) and lead with that hand. BUT it doesn't always work out best. I will try both leads to see if I can minimize or eliminate a cross-over situation.

But, there are better GF'rs here that can help you. Buck's Gunfighter 101 is a great tool. Read it, use it.

I am a righty who learned to shoot some lefty for IPSC matches.

I always start with my left gun. My right gun in on target a fraction of a second faster than the left. Starting with the right gun means that I might want be thinking of shooting my second (left) shoot before the gun was up and pointed at the target.

I also switch to DD if the stage requires more than two lead changes.

I shoot a 2-1-2 by alternating one lead change. If the stage reads that in cannot be shot with four rounds on a target then I shoot LRLLL, LRRRR. Simple, slow and no P.

Archived