SASS Wire Forum

A-10

Subdeacon Joe

Some good videos at the end. http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2015/01/15/posts-comments-send-chill-through-air-force-ranks-a-10-panics-isis/

Heck,,,found 'em on Youtube. Still read the article in the link above.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD1K1Zo0qrM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSUbmR_M3M

Howdy,

Got my morning cuppa joe. In a black mug. With a white outline of the A-10.

My nephew is a Ranger.

That's all I got this morning.

Best

CR

A few on our southern border would solve a multitude of problems. Fully armed, of course.

Only have 2 macaws, but I do have this :) See all 3 photos

BACKYARD

What is that BRRRRRRRRRRR sound? Pilot has gas?

Yeah! The pilot has gas...30 mike-mike gas! That's the Vulcan canon. Not sure about the 30mm, but the M61 20mm has a rate-of-fire of 6,000 rounds per minute. Of course it can't sustane that, but you get about 2 second each burst before it automatically ceases and resets. But those 30mm rounds can open up most tanks and APC's like a can opener! The Air Force wants to get rid of the A-10 in favor of a UCAV (unmanned). Fortunately, Congress has saved the A-10 and the U-2 for at least the present.

Weight

619.5 lb (281 kg)

Length

19 ft 10.5 in (6.06 m) (total system)

112.28 in (2.85 m) (gun only)

Barrel length

90.5 in (2.30 m)

Width

17.2 in (0.437 m) (barrel only)

Cartridge

30 × 173 mm

Caliber

30 mm caliber

Barrels

7-barrel (progressive RH parabolic twist, 14 grooves)

Action

Electrically controlled, Hydraulic-Driven

Rate of fire

up to 4,200 rpm (rounds per minute)

Muzzle velocity

3,500 ft/s (1,070 m/s)

Effective firing range

4,000 feet (1,220 m)

Maximum firing range

Over 12,000 feet (3,660 m)

Feed system

Linkless feed system

www.youtube.com/watch?v=33teK7L4DM4

The A-10 is being used against ISIS. The Air Force claims it is too expensive to keep the Warthogs flying. The real reason, and why it has been suggested the A-10's be turned over to the Army is...it really isn't an airplane! :ph34r: It's really a flying tank! :o;)

OK, we've got this big gun -What to do with it? Hey, I got it! Let's build an airplane around it!!!! Genius!

That is exactly what they did. The pilot sits in a titanium tub. One engine is always protected from ground fire by the fuselage.

The hog is well known for getting home after sustaining battle damage.

An interesting point is that when the gun is fired the engines are re-ignited. This is because fragments from firing the gun fly back into the engine due to its location which can cause the engine to stop. Thus as the weapon is fired, at the same time the engines are re-ignited to keep them running.

The A-10 has outlived it's intended mission (tank busting in a Fulda Gap scenario) and became the primary CAS for asymmetric warfare. For the current mission, there are better aircraft such as the A-29B which was selected by the Air Force Light Air Support aircraft. The A-29 has wing mounted FN M3P .50 cal and can be equipped with gun pods carrying a Giat 20mm cannon or 4 Dillon Aero M134 mini-guns. Other armament possibilities include missiles, rockets, pgm, and dumb bombs. Also operational costs are only $500 per hour vs an A-10 cost of $17,000 per hour. BTW, the Air Force reactivated the 81st Fighter Squadron last week and is equipping them with the A-29B. They will conduct training for foreign forces in the LAS program. The US Navy utilized the A-29 in Operation Imminent Fury. The number of A-29s operated by US SOCOM is classified.

Truthfully, I would rather have the A-29 providing CAS in COIN operations. With the mini-gun pod, that's up to 24,000 rounds per minute!!

I would much rather be behind the stick of an A-10, than a Super Tocano (made in Brazil), our brilliant leaders actually chose this over a very qualified aircraft by Beechcraft (Made in America), Big Sarge made the point of decision by the cost per flight hour comparison, CHEAPER, less money spent on defense, more than can spread around to the non producing voters and foreign aid to countries that want to kill us. Me, give me Titanium, GE Jet Engines, and multiple system redundancy and a WHOLE lot of ammo. What kind of price you do put on American lives to save money?

The A-10 has outlived it's intended mission (tank busting in a Fulda Gap scenario) and became the primary CAS for asymmetric warfare. For the current mission, there are better aircraft such as the A-29B which was selected by the Air Force Light Air Support aircraft. The A-29 has wing mounted FN M3P .50 cal and can be equipped with gun pods carrying a Giat 20mm cannon or 4 Dillon Aero M134 mini-guns. Other armament possibilities include missiles, rockets, pgm, and dumb bombs. Also operational costs are only $500 per hour vs an A-10 cost of $17,000 per hour. BTW, the Air Force reactivated the 81st Fighter Squadron last week and is equipping them with the A-29B. They will conduct training for foreign forces in the LAS program. The US Navy utilized the A-29 in Operation Imminent Fury. The number of A-29s operated by US SOCOM is classified.

Truthfully, I would rather have the A-29 providing CAS in COIN operations. With the mini-gun pod, that's up to 24,000 rounds per minute!!

It's a trainer built for "low threat environments." Lots of time over target, yes. But designed to go after drug dealers and the like. I think the A-10 might have a bit more survivability.

If you want a prop plane, bring back the Skyraider,

I would much rather be behind the stick of an A-10, than a Super Tocano (made in Brazil), our brilliant leaders actually chose this over a very qualified aircraft by Beechcraft (Made in America), Big Sarge made the point of decision by the cost per flight hour comparison, CHEAPER, less money spent on defense, more than can spread around to the non producing voters and foreign aid to countries that want to kill us. Me, give me Titanium, GE Jet Engines, and multiple system redundancy and a WHOLE lot of ammo. What kind of price you do put on American lives to save money?

The A-29B is built in the US at a facility in Jacksonville by Sierra Nevada. It uses a Pratt & Whitney turboprop.

The A-10 was designed to destroy armored vehicles in a linear combat situation. We aren't fighting that type of engagement. We are in a COIN environment were the primary threat is enemy troops on the ground. The A-29 puts more rounds per minute on target vs the A-10. The A-29 even delivers more rounds per minute than the AC-130H/W/J. The A-10 has less than 2 hours of loiter in target areas while the A-29 can be there for over 8 hours. If you were on the ground in contact, wouldn't you want the support of the aircraft that can stay over head the longest and put out the most rounds??

Being cost effective is not being cheap or endangering troops on the ground. For every hour the A-10 stays in the air, you can put 34 of the A-29B overhead. As a former ground troop, I don't fall into the the jet mentality. Give me the air support that can fly the closest, put the most rounds on target, and can cover me the longest.

The A-29B is built in the US at a facility in Jacksonville by Sierra Nevada. It uses a Pratt & Whitney turboprop.

The A-10 was designed to destroy armored vehicles in a linear combat situation. We aren't fighting that type of engagement. We are in a COIN environment were the primary threat is enemy troops on the ground. The A-29 puts more rounds per minute on target vs the A-10. The A-29 even delivers more rounds per minute than the AC-130H/W/J. The A-10 has less than 2 hours of loiter in target areas while the A-29 can be there for over 8 hours. If you were on the ground in contact, wouldn't you want the support of the aircraft that can stay over head the longest and put out the most rounds??

Being cost effective is not being cheap or endangering troops on the ground. For every hour the A-10 stays in the air, you can put 34 of the A-29B overhead. As a former ground troop, I don't fall into the the jet mentality. Give me the air support that can fly the closest, put the most rounds on target, and can cover me the longest.

I'm going to disagree with you here.

The A-29 as a CAS platform... Can't fulfill the job of a true Close Air Support platform, IE, a helicopter, and it can't do the job of a fast mover. IE, carry big heavy building leveling munitions.

Lots of talk about the A-10 being the CAS asset preferred by ground forces, but it isn't. It's the fast mover asset preferred by ground forces.

CAS, means things like immediate re-attacks on danger close targets, or identifying for the ground force if something near them is a threat or not. Nothing going over 100 knots is capable of timing those requirements. CAS is flying a low orbit or other pattern over the friendly ground force at less than 100 knots, at a low enough altitude to verify friendly or enemy with the naked eye. Neither the A-29 or the A-10 can do that.

The guys on the ground need something right overhead, that can see what they see without trying to find it in optics. And they need something that can carry heavy munitions, that can quickly identify, and quickly and accurately prosecute targets.

The A-10's flexibility spanks the pants off F series aircraft in this later role.

I keep shaking my head each time I see one of these articles claiming it can fulfill the first role though. I'm here to tell you, it can't.

DOD is doing a greater disservice to the American Infantryman by getting rid of the Army's Scout helicopters than they are by getting rid of the A-10.

This is close air support. Not to say the A-10 isn't a little bad a__ plane, or greatly desired for it's abilities.

But watch this video, imagine you're sitting in one of the armored vehicles with a threat approaching, and tell me which one you'd rather have watching your six?

OK, lets get this one right :)

boysandtheirtoys

Yeah! The pilot has gas...30 mike-mike gas! That's the Vulcan canon. Not sure about the 30mm, but the M61 20mm has a rate-of-fire of 6,000 rounds per minute. Of course it can't sustane that, but you get about 2 second each burst before it automatically ceases and resets. But those 30mm rounds can open up most tanks and APC's like a can opener! The Air Force wants to get rid of the A-10 in favor of a UCAV (unmanned). Fortunately, Congress has saved the A-10 and the U-2 for at least the present.

I wonder who had the idea of dumping the A10, when it's probably the 2nd most used combat (as in shooting, rather than transporting) aircraft of the last 14 years.

Farmer Tom - I do believe the OH-58D is a fantastic in close air support. I wrongly assumed the discussion was about fixed wing CAS or LAX. My bad. During OIF III, we had Polish Mi-24 Hinds fly over watch on several of our missions. Talk about an awesome sight!! I'll see if I can dig up pictures.

I've seen the poles fly around some in their Mi-17's, armed to the teeth. They don't play.

And I think you're probably right, this thread is about a fixed wing.

Give us a rough time mark for the video, please.

I can't find the video again! It was one where two A-10's were attacking a convoy of trucks. Two birds took off from a (looked like) unpaved dessert runway, attacked the convoy. One appeared to go in attacking right to left. The other appeared to land back at its base trailing black smoke!

Farmer Tom, this one is for you. This firefight was at COP 3, Camp Hit, in Nov of 2005. We were an artillery battalion converted to infantry and assigned to the 2nd Mar Div. Fight was across the Euphrates and was the same time frame as the infamous Haditha Dam incident. That's a Super Cobra making an attack run.

Archived