SASS Wire Forum

school question

Trigger Mike

We have 4 kids. 3 school age. We currently home school thru the state on line. Wife has cancer with treatments thru july. County schools where we live have horrible reputation and score below most of the state. Lots of violence even at grade school level. All other schools in county beside us are full and not taking outside their area right now including private schools. 1 mile up the road is the city limits that makes them eligible for the city schools that have decent reputation. A 3 bedroom house can be had for 170k or so. pool et. We can afford it at this time. Is it worth it to buy a small house to get the children in a decent school system? Wife is on a month break between treatments but extra chemo starts next month

I found that no matter if the school is a good school, the school is only as good as the teacher your child has each year. Tough to give advice without knowing more info. I would say if you are in an apartment or a rental house then buying a house might be a good choice, especially if you are planning to be in the area for a few years. Other than that is there a house you could rent in the desired area?

My daughter's kindergarten teacher was a mess, fortunately the rest of her teachers were quite good. The twit principal of her middle school decided that they couldn't put up Christmas decorations or say Merry Christmas! She was very publicly corrected on that by the superintendent. She took early retirement at the end of the school year, well, bye.

We have 4 kids. 3 school age. We currently home school thru the state on line. Wife has cancer with treatments thru july. County schools where we live have horrible reputation and score below most of the state. Lots of violence even at grade school level. All other schools in county beside us are full and not taking outside their area right now including private schools. 1 mile up the road is the city limits that makes them eligible for the city schools that have decent reputation. A 3 bedroom house can be had for 170k or so. pool et. We can afford it at this time. Is it worth it to buy a small house to get the children in a decent school system? Wife is on a month break between treatments but extra chemo starts next month

Is there a good home school group that could assist in the education of your children?

I home schooled my daughter and son for 2 yrs, then I had to go back to work. Nothing beats that one-on-one instruction. It inspired me to become a sub, and to later go back to universities to earn two teaching credentials late in life. They both experienced a very good Christian school for a few years, then continued and graduated from public school. I was never a fan, but ended up teaching in the system for 14 years. Your wife needs rest during treatment, and home school would be too difficult. However, it would not be stressful for her to help them with their homework, which can do just as much good if not more.

I tell you all this so you know I've seen all sides of this. Kids who have love, help, and discipline at home can do well no matter where they go to school when they know parents have a high regard for education and expect their best performance. Those ratings are greatly over-valued and are based on testing scores statewide and nationwide. Community dynamics directly affect those outcomes. My tutoring company participates since we are on contract with districts nationwide for NCLB [no child left behind]-- underperforming students [some don't speak English]. It's crazy how the teachers get blamed for low scores and the system gets changed every year to accommodate low scoring students who just don't make any effort. I say don't be lured by numbers. It is no greener on the other side of the fence. They will have the same problems, and like the above post says, learning depends on the individual classroom experience.

One more thing: I quit teaching public school last year to sell real estate again, but continue to tutor privately evenings. Moving to another home is about the most stressful thing people do. I strongly recommend you do not add all these complicated changes to an already difficult situation. You are trying to do too much in a short period of time without thinking through the effects. Stay where you are and let your wife heal with one child at home, and the others in school near you. You would have to pick out a house in the next two months so it would be a done deal in two more months [if your offer is accepted and escrow without a hitch], all during her treatment. If you are determined to move, you could wait until that is finished. For the time being, use some of that money doing things together to make hard days easier for them.

Best regards for her recovery and with your decisions. CC

Decision has to be for the 2 of you. I know here where I live we have a very good school and system. When some folks from California moved here and had their kids in the school, it was not long till their friends and other family members moved here from California. I guess for some folks it must be very important if they move a few thousand miles to somewhere they have never been before. Best of luck on your decision.

Reading your post I was thinking "This guy must be from Georgia." Shore 'nuff....

I don't know about buying a house - that's pretty drastic. You could perhaps rent one, that would be much more reasonable.

An alternative, depending on how thorough the city checks things, is to get a P.O. Box in the city and use that as your address. They probably will want a physical address though. In that case, you may be able to use the address of a friend or family member who lives inside the city.

You only get one shot with our kids, plus homes in areas with good school districts tend to hold/grow value better. Stay very active in the school and help protect your kids education and your home equity. When a school district goes down, so does everything else.

well we made an offer and it was accepted and the home is 1 mile up the road. inside the next school district with good reputation and less violence. close feb 6 if all goes well. homes in the area are near the schools so are holding their value. if she gets better we can sell it and go back to homeschool. if she does not they won't have a huge change all at once..

meanwhile mama is back to her old self these last two days and I am so glad to see her again. she goes to oncologist wed to get the next round thru july scheduled so i will lose her again soon. we barely saved the marriage the last round which also played into putting them into school

Archived