SASS Wire Forum

Looks Like Good News - Rule Clarifications

Depends on target spacing. 97 vs double. If you have a ways to go, and targets far apart, the 97 kills a double. If easy to see, and not far apart, they're equal. Shot a 97 at least 5 and a half yrs and a double yr an a half. Vertical staging, and restaging also goes to the 97. Split sg goes to the 97. A pair, movement and another pair goes to the double. Still think no moving with sg is awful. Feel like getting permission from the RO to move again during the stage. Guess its better than a dq. We already have penalties in place for doing it wrong, and muzzle control. Practicing for wr right now, and don't know what's acceptable, and what isn't. Wish this whole thing came to life sooner than a month before nationals.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palo Verde: "I was just wondering if the origin of the current rule "clarification" might have been peeved SXS shooters ;) and the desire to "level the playing field" :D"

That was never a factor in any of the discussions I've attended.

The original "opinion" allowing slam firing a '97 on the move was negated at that match by one of the MDs when he heard that a legitimate application of the "basketball traveling rule" (as defined by SASS; not the NBA) would allow doing so.

The stage instructions were modified to prevent that action on that particular stage at that match.

Thank you,PW, but just because it was not openly argued, does not mean it was not on someone's agenda ;)

I still haven't seen a valid need expressed for this new "clarification" --- and, in light of all other things, it certainly does not appear to be for a safety issue.

"Under the table" agendas drive many things in this world.

I am not good enough to "run and gun" but some are and some rules are interpreted or created because there are good shooters. A pretty good young shooter was once told he could not do something at Winter Range because he was too good :wacko: . The exact words were: "It wouldn't make any difference if he wasn't so good." :wacko: At another Winter Range a average shooter was told, by the same Winter Range person, that he could do what the "so good " shooter was told he could not do. :blink: These are the things that drive pages of debate on the Wire.

I believe a number of the multi-pages of posts on this subject may have their origins more in " something about making this change just doesn't seem right" rather than the substance of the change itself. :)

Hmmm... I can see that my days of shooting with both feet firmly positioned under my body but sliding to that dramatic stop, are over. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived