SASS Wire Forum

.30-40 Krag in a tubular magazine

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Okay, as far as I know, nothing like this has ever existed. But, I got to thinking that something akin to a Winchester 94 in .30-40 Krag would be a fun gun to own. Sure, you'd have to roll your own ammo, loading it up with flat point bullets, but I think it could be interesting.

Normally, I load with 174 grain pointed bullets, but for this, you could use the same 170 graniers nomally used in the .30-30. I think you could get more performance out ot it. Or if you can find them or cast your own, maybe even 200 or 220 grain bullets would be good too.

All speculative, of course, but sometimes, speculation can be fun.

I used a Springfield KJ 1896 for deer in the late 1980s. I loaded 220 grain round nose jacketed bullets to 2000 fps, like the first version of the .30-40. It workd well.

If I hunter with a .30-30 lever gun, it would be loaded with pointed bullets and one jn the chamber plus ome in the tube. Very few hunting situations are made better with more than two cartridges in the gun.

One of my favorite rounds.

The 86 or 94 Winchester should be long enough to handle it (just by an eyeball measurement) and loaded with flat nose or plastic tipped bullet should work just fine.

I have a browning 95 that I love, but it has a box magazine.

As a side note, I'd give my eye teeth for a newly produced sporting .30-40 on the old Krag-Jorgenson action. Modern metallurgy and manufacturing techniques should eliminate the objections to this and still make the smoothest bolt action ever.

For what it's worth, I have 3 Krags, and a Win 95 in the caliber. I think it is a very nice caliber with a lot going for it. More powerful than a .30-30, but still less than a .30-'06.

Personally, I don't hunt very much, so I am not thinking of it in those terms. But for longer range target shooting, either inside or outside of SASS, I think would be a lot of fun.

Yes, I know there are things like .307 and what not that could fill the same niche, I'm just saying I'd like to fill it with a caliber that is already a favorite.

The 86? Now there's a curious thought. Hadn't even thought of that rifle, but yeah, not a bad idea. Maybe if I were to inherit one in .33 WCF with a shot out bore I could rebarrel it...

Nah... More trouble that it's worth, probably.

I have a 1898 Krag that has been mine since 1968. I shot it about 35 years ago and it still is fairly

accurate with that long barrel. As was posted, there has never been a smoother bolt action rifle made. The magazine cut off is also a neat idea. Mine was neglected some and the bore is rough, but it still

shoots. Later Fairshake

Archived