SASS Wire Forum

Got me another vintage 1873

Rancho Roy

Picked this one up off a cowboy in Californi! Thanks Doc!

Its a real mixed breed. SRC receiver, carbine barrel, rifle forend, unfitted lower tang........But for $500, it was a bargain!

It is 44-40 and the bore will be relined as it is real bad. But the internals are very good condition. Ordered a screw kit from Homestead Parts as some kitchen gunsmith with Craftsman screwdrivers had his way with it at some point in its life. Poor ol' gal! Ordered a dust cover also.

P1140008-vi.jpg

P1140002-vi.jpg

P1140026-vi.jpg

Lots more pictures here:

Thanks for looking!

Howdy,

Before you do any work, if it will shoot, shoot it and see what that old tired barrel will do.

It just might surprise you.

And also give that barrel a really good cleaning.

One old shooter I bought I cleaned out the barrel and found rifling.

The guy that sold it to me though it needed a barrel.

A few hours of cleaning watching tv and movies gave me passable rifling.

And these aren't precision shooters, four inch at 50 yards would still take a deer.

And if you get tired, contact me, that's just my cuppa t.

Best

CR

Not sure if you are talking about the 1873 / 38-40 I picked up last year or not. But that rifle papered perfectly. It is all original. That makes it much more valuable in my eyes. This rifle will be ridden in SASS hard and put away wet! Black powder only.

Here's the story on the last 1873 in 38-40 if anyone is interested

http://rvbprecision.com/page/2

Not sure if you are talking about the 1873 / 38-40 I picked up last year or not. But that rifle papered perfectly. It is all original. That makes it much more valuable in my eyes. This rifle will be ridden in SASS hard and put away wet! Black powder only.

Here's the story on the last 1873 in 38-40 if anyone is interested

http://rvbprecision.com/page/2

Really enjoyed reading your story of relining that barrel. As a child I lived next to a machinist and was always fascinated by his skill with a lathe. Thanks for sharing.

Archived