SASS Wire Forum

Western Traditions?

Howdy all,

One of our local shooters is pretty heavily involved in 4-H livestock stuff and has been approached about a program called "Western Traditions"

Basically the reason I am posting here is that it could help get young 4-H members involved in the shooting sports with a slant towards the western way of life. 10 Colorado counties have been asked to be pilot groups for 2015 to gauge interest and potential participation. Our county (Mesa) is one of them.

The 4-H members involved will be expected to do research on western history, meet and discuss the western way of life (including western clothing) and participate in an organized shooting activity. The program will require adult mentors to assist and guide them as is currently done for other 4-H activities.

My home club (Thunder Mountain Shootists) will be holding a town council meeting on Thursday the 22nd to discuss our potential role.

Soooooo here is a starting list of the problem(s) and the hope that someone out there has experience in these matters.

It will require a local shooting club that participates in western style shooting. We have this one covered. :)

Most of the potential participants are unlikely to have firearms suitable for CAS. We may have this covered with our membership loaning firearms, but do not know the potential liabilities or cost of a rider to our club policy to cover an accident. Any ideas?

We do not know if 4-H will allow the use of reloaded ammo by their members, and again what are the exposure risks and is insurance available for those risks?

We have many NRA certified instructors available in this area but we have been told that the 4-H does not recognize the credentials of other organizations that do not use 4-H guidelines or training materials. Are their standards so much different that we may not have enough who could be certified in their training methods or who would have to have a major expense to comply?

It is our understanding that this program originated with folks from the University of Montana and is fairly popular in Wyoming. If that is the case if someone who is already involved could give us some pointers it would be greatly appreciated

I can be reached by PM and will pass on any info gathered.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I was the 4-H leader for our club's shooting program until 2009, so I do know that every 4-H member in New Mexico has to pay for insurance each year whether they are participating in shooting, livestock, archery, etc..and I think it is likely the same for you . I am fairly confident that Colorado"s state 4-H office can answer your questions on the insurance aspect for your state.

Ammunition could be supplied by the 4-H club { parents } as we did with our shooting sports program, and I guess it worked out well for us, as our club won the New Mexico smallbore pistol in 2008, and competed at nationals, placing 6th in the country.

Your state 4-H office can also get you signed up for he 4-H firearms leadership training for your instructors which is probably going to be required for your program to work under 4-H guidelines! If you can get through SASS ROII, then the firearms leader training will not be a problem. Our training was usually done over a weekend somewhere in the state once a year.

Having said all that above, I gotta say that you are going to meet some of the best and brightest young men and ladies, if you didn't know that already. My 4-H'rs have turned out pretty good I think, my oldest son works for the Governor of New Mexico, and my youngest son is a US Forest Service Type 1 fire team sawer out of Reserve NM I am envious of your program, it is somewhat along an idea that has floated around the state 4-H office here in New Mexico, but hasn't yet gained enough momentum. In the end you may pick up a new cowboy shooter along the way.

Guess I miss it a little, but those 4 kids gave me my cowboy name at the 2008 Nationals in Nebraska,before I had ever been to a SASS shoot. The day I joined, it was crystal clear what my alias was, funny how things work out sometimes!

Enough from me........... hope you do well ;) CC 89893

Thanks for the replies and PM's. Still open to personal experiences and any other questions you think should be asked.

Regards

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

We have a couple of shoots at our range for the 4H'ers, including the 4H State championship. The "advisors" supply the guns and get factory reloaded ammo. We were told they are only allowed to shoot commercially reloaded or new ammo. NO home reloads. They are required to have their own insurance. What they do in appreciation for the use of our range is have a range clean up day. Rake up wads, pick up any trash that's gotten blown into or around our range with the gentle 40-50 mph breezes we get out there. They're a good bunch of young folks and it's always a pleasure having them out there.

Archived