SASS Wire Forum

Loaded my first 44-40 tonite!

Hoss

Finally got my 1860 Henry (Uberti) rifle. Took delivery Sunday. Got bullets in from Ringer today, so I loaded up 20 test rounds to try out. Going with smokeless to start, but will be trying some BP soon. I did crush one case, but it was my own dern fault. I'm really looking forward to trying them out, but will likely be Friday before I get a chance to go to the range. This whole wok thing really gets in the way of shootin!

I'm trying to decide what revolvers I want to go with it. I have a line on a pair of open top conversions in .45. Would prefer to stay with 44-40, but that caliber not available in open tops. The open tops sure are purdy. Also considering 58 Remmington conversions. Decisions decisions!

Check with Springfield Slim, pretty sure he know how or knows someone who can turn .44 SPL open tops into 44-40 open tops. I have a pair of Uberti Cattleman in 44-40 that I love!

Congrats. I'll be shortly behind you as soon as I can find myself a rifle. Let me know how you like the ringer bullets. I'm thinking of ordering a thousand from them. Might try badman as well.

If you can't decide between open tops or 58 conversion, get one of each. I have a 58 conversion model and love it. It's really cool looking and fun to shoot with that 8 inch barrel.

Finally got my 1860 Henry (Uberti) rifle. Took delivery Sunday. Got bullets in from Ringer today, so I loaded up 20 test rounds to try out. Going with smokeless to start, but will be trying some BP soon. I did crush one case, but it was my own dern fault. I'm really looking forward to trying them out, but will likely be Friday before I get a chance to go to the range. This whole wok thing really gets in the way of shootin!

I'm trying to decide what revolvers I want to go with it. I have a line on a pair of open top conversions in .45. Would prefer to stay with 44-40, but that caliber not available in open tops. The open tops sure are purdy. Also considering 58 Remmington conversions. Decisions decisions!

Welcome to .44-40! I have been shooting in my rifle for awhile now, but I just recently got a pair of Smoke Wagons from Taylor's with Running Iron hammers installed. They're PERFECT for FCGF. Load those cases with black powder and you WILL have fun! :)

Howdy Bighipiron,

I got those pix of my 44 ready but I need yo email to ship em.

I aint figgered out how to post em on heah so gotta email.

I realized I didn't have pix of it, how did that happen?

Got pix now, Just a beatup ol gun, that's all....

Best

CR

Having shot thousands of 44-40's my best advice is to take your time and be sure that the casing is going straight into the die before you run the ram down. I use Hornaday's One Shot spray Lube to lube them. Don't over flare the case mouth and don't over crimp as they will certainly crumple on you right there.

Go shoot them and do it all over again!!!

Bugler

My first rifle I bought specifically for SASS was in 44-40. Reloading for it isn't hard, just takes some care. Between the 44-40 and the 32-20 I think I have the bottleneck cartridges starter kit. Now I need a 38-40 and 25-20 to complete the set.

For those that load 44-40 with out sizing lube(I do) get ready to dig some necks out of your dies when you go to 32-20s. It is really easy to pull an unlubed 32-20 in two.

Make sure you have a good crimp if you're shooting them in the rifle. If loading with BP not so important but with smokeless it's really important! ;)

Archived