SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Model 1873 Rifle Recovered in Great Basin National Park

Megeddo

LxGHdMQ.jpg

JUjPUFk.jpg

TwgI2Ti.jpg

CxmNAim.jpg

From the Great Basin National Park page:

Numerous questions surround the small piece of American heritage found and recovered by Great Basin National Park archaeologists in November. The 132 year-old rifle, exposed to sun, wind, snow, and rain was found leaning against a tree in the park. The cracked wood stock, weathered to grey, and the brown rusted barrel blended into the colors of the old juniper tree in a remote rocky outcrop, keeping the rifle hidden for many years.

“Model 1873” distinctively engraved on the mechanism identify the rifle as the Winchester Model 1873 repeating rifle. The serial number on the lower tang corresponds in Winchester records held at the Center for the West, Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyoming, with a manufacture and shipping date of 1882. Currently, the detailed history of this rifle is unknown. Winchester records do not indicate who purchased the rifle from the warehouse or where it was shipped.

Winchester Model 1873 rifles hold a prominent place in Western history and lore. The rifles are referred to as “the gun that won the West”. 720,610 were manufactured between 1873 and 1916 when production ended. In 1882 alone, over 25,000 were made. Selling for about $50 when they first came out, the rifles reduced in price to $25 in 1882 and were accessible and popular as “everyman’s” rifle. The Winchester business plan included selling large lots of rifles to dealers or “jobbers” who would distribute the firearms to smaller sales outlets.

This rifle may provide its own bit of lore. Mysteries of the rifle’s journey through time spur creative and lively discussion. Who left the rifle? When and why it was leaned against the tree? And, why was it never retrieved? The Great Basin cultural resource staff is continuing research in old newspapers and family histories hoping to resolve some of the mystery and fill in details about the story of this rifle.

The park will provide a viewing opportunity for the community before sending the rifle to conservators to stabilize the wood and apply museum conservation techniques. The treatment will keep the gun looking as it was found and prevent further deterioration. When the rifle is returned to the park it will be displayed as part of the Park’s 30th Birthday and the NPS Centennial celebration.

Howdy,

Granpa said he never could remember which tree he leaned that Winchester onto.

He would have wanted me to have it.

Said it shoots a little to the left....

Best

CR

Very cool story...Thanks Jim...keep us posted!

There is no mention of ammunition being found in it. Possible that its owner fell close by but nature erased all signs of his remains. I can not imagine that a man in the remote wilds would have left his rifle to go after downed game or much of anything else, by choice??

Thanks for posting, great story and pictures.

Seems to me the tree would have been much smaller back then. Also I'd think the buttplate would be completely rusted away sitting in the dirt. I expect it's genuine but hasn't been there nearly

as long as they think.

Another version of this story claims the rifle was found near Lone Pine, CA on Wednesday, 1-7-15. All of the pics on the Great Basin FB page turned up yesterday and the day before... I can't find any mention of the story or other pictures dated prior to Wednesday... One of them isn't telling the truth.

I can't find the link, but a large oak was cut down near my wife's Grandmother's house here in Fort Wayne. Inside they found a musket that dated to the Indian wars here in the late 1700's. This was three years back maybe. Things turn up like that here occassionally.

The rifle is the story, what others attach to it does not matter. I've often done the same as all of you and looked at an old firearm and wished it could tell me how and where it's journey came about. We are not owners of our guns but mere custodians of them for the next generation. Later Fairshake

I have always been amaised when one finds an old gun as it is so rare it happens. Years ago I was lucky enought to find such a gun myself. A friend of mine had lost some cattle to russlers from across the border below Eagle Pass. He and I decided to follow the trail across the river and see if we could find them. It was one of those very hot days and we crossed where they had with sallow water and a bank going up a small rise on the Mexican side. We had split up and I was about three hundred yards from his as we split up trying to find tracks.

I had climbed up the bank on the Mexican side and there was a high spot to my left that wanted to climb and see if I could see anything from the higher point. I climbed up the sandy grade and about half way up I hear the sound of a rattlesnake close by and not wanting to shoot and make noise I bypassed the snake and once I got to the top of the small hill I stood up to look around. As I was standing I noticed something to my left almost under my feet and it looked like a small white melon with two dark spots on it. Taking a better look I realized it was a human skull and around it were scared bleached bones. About the same time I noticed a brass rusty rifle with a brass frame. I realized the rifle was a Henry and around it on the area were a number of very old fired rimfire cases. I had just had time to look at it and then about that time I heard shots from my left followed by shots from a different gun and I knew my friemd had run into trouble. I took off at once to help him and after some excitment and things were over I told him what I had found. By then it was getting dark and w ehad no idea if anyone had heard the shootout and if others were coming or how many.

We returned back to Texas soil and the next day we returned to find bussards down where the fight had been. We looked for half the day trying to find the spot I had found the Henry but be damn if we could find it. We had to cut our search short anyway because we saw a number of riders coming our way and they had not seen us. I returned two other times and never found the site again. From what I think, A man had got on the higher spot in a fight and stood off till he was killed and no one took his rifle. Outlaws or I ndians I never knew.

I wondered where I'd left it! Wonder if they'll ship it back to me, or if I'll have to go pick it up? :D

Beartrap.... no give me that crap! You weren't born until 10 years later!

Snakebite

They didn't go back for it because it was only $25 bucks,..and used maybe $15.00.

I have friends that have each found a rifle leaning against cave shelters. One a muzzle loader. One a Winchester 73. Both in Cochise county, Arizona.

Howdy,

Granpa said he never could remember which tree he leaned that Winchester onto.

He would have wanted me to have it.

Said it shoots a little to the left....

Best

CR

Did he add the duct tape as a locate mark--it really held up well.

Saw just a blurb on this story on Fox News this morning. No elaboration, just the basic report. I guess the story is making the rounds now, or already has.

So far the details don't add up. Same story keeps getting repeated over and over but no new details.

If butt plate was touching the ground why didn't it corrode into dust. The rest I understand the condition of because it was not in contact with items that hold moisture.

Except for a couple of species of tree, the wood should have grown around the barrel. The tree in the picture doesn't look to be all that old. Only tree I am aware of in that area that would grow so slowly that it wouldn't grow around the barrel are Bristlecone Pines. They only grow in a small area of the White Mountains in California. That area is part of the Inyo National Forest and not Great Basin National Park which is in Nevada.

Still find it hard to believe that no more details have been reported.

Awww, soak it in Kroil for a few days. It'll loosen right up and close all the gaps in the wood. Then, tighten up any loose screws, remove the old .44-40 ammo, send it out for an action job and new springs. Run a bore brush through it a few times and it'll be ready to go.

Wonderful story and a part of history we'll ponder for year's to come!

Megeddo, many thank! I can never get enough of Western History. Must have

read and have 100 books about the subject, fascinating for sure!

Happy trails, keep it coming, we need more western history!

Archived