SASS Wire Forum

TG Vote

Why costume categs as a period or movie western costume are mandatory by the rules for CAS?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy,

Here is the vote tally

Ballots for the 2014 agenda items were distributed. Metting was adjourned.

AGENDA ITEMS VOTE RESULTS

To pass, a 66% majority vote must be obtained.

SASS Territorial Governors Voting January 2015 - San Antonio, Texas

1) Should we institute the following standard for all style/costume categories when breaking them down by age? The regulations for the base category will be applied first; THEN the age limits.

For 86.86% Against 12.71% Abstain .42% PASSED Effective After Winter Range

2) Should we change Senior Duelist to comply with that standard?

For 85.59% Against 13.56% Abstain .85% PASSED Effective 01-01-16

3) Should we officially acknowledge the shooting category "Frontier Cartridge gunfighter" as a SASS sanctioned/recognized category?

For 86.02% Against 13.98% Abstain 0% PASSED Effective After Winter Range

4) Should the MSV penalty for retrieving a dropped or ejected round be eliminated.

For 63.98% Against 35.59% Abstain ..42% FAILED

5) Should conflicts on costume based shooting categories ("B"-Western Men's & Ladies and Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl) Costuming requirement determinations be relegated to the Costume Contest personnel/judges?

For 15.25% Against 74.58% Abstain .10.17% FAILED

6) Should the Category of Grand Dame have the name changed to "Golden Girls"?

For 14.41% Against 81.78% Abstain 3.81% FAILED

Nawlins

It (Item 2), makes rules consistent.

Except it used the wrong avenue to fix it. Should have changed it to "Any Main Match Pistol" for All Duelists. Now they are forcing many Senior's to buy new guns, if they want to continue shooting Duelist, and for what good reason??? Because they don't LOOK cowboy. Heap big load of B.S. Don't affect me, but it will a lot of good cowboys. What happened to the "Cowboy Way"??

RBK

Rules Suck!!!!!

Yep. Anarchy is so much better...

"What happened to the "Cowboy Way"??

RBK

2) Should we change Senior Duelist to comply with that standard?

For 85.59% Against 13.56% Abstain .85% PASSED Effective 01-01-16

At 85.59% for it looks to me like the cowboys wanted to change and voted for it. Or perhaps I'm missing the meaning of "cowboy way".

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before this "new category" is broken down into age based categories........ ??

Will you please let this go???? BP has been around a long time with NO age breakout. We like it that way. You can start the ball rolling is you insist, but I will lobby against it.

CR

Will you please let this go???? BP has been around a long time with NO age breakout. We like it that way. You can start the ball rolling is you insist, but I will lobby against it.

CR

As will I!! +1

Except it used the wrong avenue to fix it. Should have changed it to "Any Main Match Pistol" for All Duelists. Now they are forcing many Senior's to buy new guns, if they want to continue shooting Duelist, and for what good reason??? Because they don't LOOK cowboy. Heap big load of B.S. Don't affect me, but it will a lot of good cowboys. What happened to the "Cowboy Way"??

RBK

All was voted on. So that was the way.

Just have to Cowboy Up and do what you can. I think by giving them a year was

more than fair.

I do wish they would change the rule and allow them in Duelist and GFer.

But again.

It was voted on. And voted down.

All I know is I wish I was there at the Convention - looked like a great time - A huge THANK YOU to the people who make these things happen and another huge THANK YOU to the Territorial Governors who represent. Appreciate y'alls time and personal financial commitments to making the trip to the convention to place your vote. I imagine that there may be conflicts with what you want personally at times, but still stick with what your constituents desire.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Posted Today, 08:24 AM

Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388, on 10 Jan 2015 - 7:43 PM, said:

Anyone taking bets on how long it will be before this "new category" is broken down into age based categories........ ??

CR

Let what go ? I could care less about BPGF category. Smokeless has been around for a while too.... Then it was diluted to age based categories. I guess the pro BPGF people got their way and now they don't want anyone else to have theirs....... Let's have two basic categories to start with.. SAFSSS, or Single Action Fixed Sight Shooting Society.... and SAASSS, or Single Action Adjustable Sight Shooting Society..... And don't forget Senior Gun fighter category... LOL... I still like the Modern and Traditional Categories.... Good luck on your "lobbying" efforts ......

How many clubs in SASS? I'm not sure but would guess well over 300? I didn't go to the Convention just not in the cards, but I made sure the Two clubs that I represent were there but way of proxy ballot, and I don't know if this was true but I was told there were about 190 clubs represented including proxy ballots, thats not real good, did your club vote? if not why?

KK

I heard it was somewhere around 240 clubs represented by person or proxy.

All I know is I wish I was there at the Convention - looked like a great time - A huge THANK YOU to the people who make these things happen and another huge THANK YOU to the Territorial Governors who represent. Appreciate y'alls time and personal financial commitments to making the trip to the convention to place your vote. I imagine that there may be conflicts with what you want personally at times, but still stick with what your constituents desire.

+100

CR

Let what go ? I could care less about BPGF category. Smokeless has been around for a while too.... Then it was diluted to age based categories. I guess the pro BPGF people got their way and now they don't want anyone else to have theirs....... Let's have two basic categories to start with.. SAFSSS, or Single Action Fixed Sight Shooting Society.... and SAASSS, or Single Action Adjustable Sight Shooting Society..... And don't forget Senior Gun fighter category... LOL... I still like the Modern and Traditional Categories.... Good luck on your "lobbying" efforts ......

Mike,

There is no lobbying required. No action has been taken, nor do I expect any. The insinuation that we BP shooters will be demanding age related breakouts has been a canard that may have been part of the delay in making this natural category part of the SASS listings. You appear to be crying foul before any evidence to support your fear is produced.

CR

Mink-

I refer you to the following:

As I mentioned before, until they start giving Cadillac's away, I could care less... You are the only one I hear "crying" about it..... LOL.........

You have mentioned this possibility multiple times on this and other threads, I have been trying to ease your mind. Rest easy, friend - it will not happen.

CR

Mike,

There is no lobbying required. No action has been taken, nor do I expect any. The insinuation that we BP shooters will be demanding age related breakouts has been a canard that may have been part of the delay in making this natural category part of the SASS listings. You appear to be crying foul before any evidence to support your fear is produced.

CR

Like you - I won't be pushing for any age based FCGF categories... :) - that's in stone too ;)

I heard it was somewhere around 240 clubs represented by person or proxy.

If so still not every club voted, why? it's not hard to do a proxy vote.

KK

We are all getting older. If the members decide age brackets are needed in the sub categories so be it. However, I will not campaign for them like I did for FCGF.

A big thank you to all the TGs and clubs that voted this in.

Smoke

I'm generally happy with the results. And I'm glad we won't have to continue the battle for FCGF!

But we were very close to improving safety with Number 4 - almost did it!

The ship has already sailed. The first agenda item, which was passed, was designed to allow an infinite expansion of the existing categories.

First, it was a pleasure seeing you again at the TG meetings. Your insight and thoughtful comments always seem on point, especially with regard to how the issue at hand affects Winter Range.

However, while I certainly can understand your take on the vote, I actually see it as providing a possible mechanism to limit and or compress categories in the future. The votes on Item #1 and Item #2 have firmly established that Shooting Style is the controlling factor and, with the inclusion of FCGF, all of the shooting styles are now represented. This now allows for the possibility of limiting the number of total categories by limiting the number of age breaks within a Shooting Style unless the numbers of entrants in that Shooting Style at the match indicate that it should be broken down by age. Using that methodolgy would always allow everyone to shoot, in the manner that they choose to shoot, at every match, every where. It is about the only thing that has any chance of controlling the proliferation of categories. As the average age of SASS members climbs higher and higer, everyone will be in the SIlver Senior category or above! Then what, we break it down into 1 year increments?

Case in point. I shoot FCGF and have for the last 5 years. I am slow, generally accurate, ocassionally clean, and have about as much fun as humanly possible at each and every match. I rarely win my category, (Never is closer to the truth) but it is MY CATEGORY. It's all I shoot. Last year I signed up for a local state shoot as FCGF. I was called and told that I was the only one in that category so they had to move me to Gunfighter. I said OK because I could still use BP in that Category. Then a week before the match I was told the other Gunfighter had dropped out and I needed to chage category again. B-Western was the recommendation because it still allowed me to shoot Gunfighter with BP. But that would require me to meet the clothing requirements too, a no go. My solution was simple. Let me shoot FCGF by myself, and don't give me a plaque, don't give me a certificate or ribbon, JUST LET ME SHOOT MY STYLE WITH A SMILE! If the MD felt he needed to do something all he would need to do is say something like...

" AND IN A CATEGORY BY HIMSELF, WINNING FCGF, DOGMEAT DAD!!" Cheers All Around :P:D:lol: I got to shoot FCGF, I got no award, and I had an awesome time and a big :D .

No matter how SASS slices this pie, there will always be both heavily populated categories and underpopulated categories. Winning a Buckle, Trophy, Plaque, etc in a heavily populated category will almost always be more difficult than winning in an underpopluated category. It is just the nature of the beast.

Just my $0.02,

Dogmeat Dad

I'm generally happy with the results. And I'm glad we won't have to continue the battle for FCGF!

But we were very close to improving safety with Number 4 - almost did it!

How would eliminating that rule improve safety?

#4 failing (removing the MSV for retrieving a dropped round) was a heartbreaker for me. IMO, a rule that does zero for improving safety and is commonly inconsistently called. Apparently 63.98% of the clubs who voted feel the same way. These inconsistent calls change the outcome of a match. Many people are reluctant to call it because (IMO) they feel bad about calling something that they know is just giving a penalty for the sake of giving a penalty. I wish I could have been present to hear the boogey-man's-under-the-bed arguments.

I am happy to hear that FCGF was approved. A fine example of shooters "sticking to their guns" and shooting the category into reality.

Archived